Genetic Screening?

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Genetic Screening?

Postby SarahCHW » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:47 am

Haven't posted here yet, but I just had my first OB visit (7 weeks). The ultrasound looked great, heartbeat all there, had a quick chat with my OB, and ended up really disappointed. I had seen him before (I'm a slightly high risk pregnancy due to a heart condition) and liked him, but this time he really turned me off. Both him and the nurse went through all of the optional screenings I can have (really just CF and Down Syndrome). I declined both and the OB gave me a little attitude about it. I'm just frustrated because, since we visited before we started ttc, we could have done the CF test then, now it kind of feels like its too late. I wouldn't change anything based on the knowledge, and it just doesn't seem worth the worry.
The Down Syndrome screening I had read up on and made my own, informed decision not to. I'm 26, so at low risk for it, and again, I really wouldn't change anything (other than being more prepared) based on that knowledge. But my OB wouldn't even take no for an answer, his reply to my no was, "well you can think about it and we'll decide next time."
Am I really being crazy not getting the tests?
SarahCHW
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Genetic Screening?

Postby Mallory835 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:39 pm

My doctor was the complete opposite! When I was pregnant with DD1 I had to ask my doctor if I should do any testing and he actually told me it wasn't necessary. He said it was up to me, but he said I was young and had low risks. (I was 26 at the time) He also mentioned that the tests often show false positives and cause worry for no reason. I felt the same way as you about the results not changing anything so my husband and I discussed it and decided not to do any testing. This time I am pregnant with DD2 and my doctor has never once brought up or asked if I would want any testing which is fine since I would opt out again. I understand why some women choose to do the testing and If I or my husband had any sort of family history of CF or Downs I would probably test, but since we did not we chose not to test. So, no you are not crazy for not getting the test!
Me (29)and Dh (32)
Nov 2012 Married
01/16/13 BFP!
09/29/13 EDD
09/27/13 DD born 7lbs 2 oz

11/26/14 BFP!
08/10/15 EDD
01/14/15 HB 165
02/11/15 HB 148
03/20/15 HB 148 - Anatomy Scan - It's a Girl!
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Mallory835
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:43 pm

You are not crazy at all. The tests are absolutely personal decisions based on your beliefs and desire for knowledge.

The results of my tests won't change anything, but I don't like surprises so I went ahead and had them done so I can be aware of my risks for problems and be prepared on delivery day. You may choose differently based on what you want, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I can see a doctor perhaps being a little worried about a pregnancy for various reasons, wanting to know if the baby itself is high-risk or not, but ultimately this is the first real medical choice you're making for your child as its parent, and it really is entirely up to you. If you don't feel comfortable with your OB from here on out, I'd really encourage you to switch; the earlier you do it, the easier it is to not only find a new OB but also to build a good relationship with that OB before it's time to deliver.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, best wishes for a happy and healthy 9 months!
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby Fairy Wings » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:05 pm

First of all, congrats on the great scan! Second, you're not crazy at all! We opted out of the testing as well and my doctor totally supported mine and DH's decision. Some people prefer to find out and others know it wouldn't make a difference. I actually think it was out of line that he didn't respect your decision.

If you don't feel completely comfortable with your OB I would definitely switch. I switched mine because she didn't deliver at the hospital I wanted to deliver at and I absolutely love my new OB! Its made a huge difference. My other OB didn't have the same bedside manner and I was always more anxious before and during my appointments with her. Now I feel much calmer and I know I made the right decision to switch. Have a happy and healthy pregnancy! :D
Me: Jenna

BFP 3/27/2015 - 1st pregnancy

7/06/2015 18 w 2 d (measuring 18 w 6 d!) :babyb: IT'S A BOY! :babyb:

Fairy Wings
Star Member
Star Member

Postby SarahCHW » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:42 am

Thanks ladies! I don't think I'll be able to switch offices (due to insurance), but I may be able to convince one of the nurses I would feel more comfortable with the other OB at this office. I am feeling a lot more confident in my choice now, its just hard to be questioned by a medical professional...
SarahCHW
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby s4mm13 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:23 am

From a slightly different point if view, but one that I think is just as valid.

Testing etc is completely up to you and you're right, there are a lot of false positives. If it wouldn't change your plans for your baby and would cause a lot of stress and worry, why put yourself through that.

As for the argument of wanting to be prepared for everything, you never know what's going to happen.

My son was diagnosed at 20 anatomy scan as having a complex heart condition. Ok, we prepared. We had millions if extra detailed scans and when he arrived at 32 weeks he also had some other physical complications that no one knew about. The point I'm making here is, they can never tell everything, even with the most advanced testing.......

I say enjoy your pregnancy, don't get stressed by what may or may not be wrong. As a mum who had dealt with a lot, you'll come through and you'll enjoy your baby no matter if you found out about any problems or not ahead of time.

I wish you a very happy and healthy pregnancy.
Me 29
DH 30
Oscar forever 5 months
Our beautiful son Oscar, born 24/2/14 at 32 weeks with Tetralogy of Fallot, oesophageal atresia and tracheo oesophageal fistula. Earned his wings aged 5 months and 1 day.

Oscar is going to be a big brother. BFP #2 29/11/14

Arlo William, our beautiful rainbow born safely 22nd July 2015

s4mm13

Return to General Pregnancy Board