Maternity bra help!

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Maternity bra help!

Postby Lilsgrnspice » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:12 pm

FTM, I am currently 7 weeks. Biggest symptom, incredibly sensitive and painful bbs. Was a 38DD and now spilling out of my current bras. Is it worth it this early to invest in maternity bras? Should a get one that is a nursing bra too? What are some of your favorite brands and styles? TIA :D
Second time Mommy
Baby #1 via IUI girl born January 10, 2016 7 lbs 14.5 oz, 19.5 inches long, Lillian Nicole

Baby # 2 conceived the old fashion way, surprise! EDD May 14, 2018
Lilsgrnspice
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Maternity bra help!

Postby amlobo » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:33 pm

Well, I JUST broke down and ordered some new bras, and I'm 26 weeks, lol. I had some stretchy layering bras that were a lifesaver thus far, but now I've grown out of them too. A friend of mine recommended just getting nursing bras while pregnant to save some money, so I just ordered some, and I hope they are good!

Another friend of mine who is currently nursing said she loves the wrap-style sleep bras, even during the day... but she is smaller chested, and I don't think those would work for me except for sleeping. I decided to just order some of the most popular styles on Motherhood Maternity's website that looked comfy - and they were buy 3, get 1 free, so I felt like they were a good deal.
Me (Amanda): 31
DH: 32

July 2014: Missed M/C at 11 weeks, measured 7w4d
January 2015: BFP at 9dpo, EDD 9/19/15

DS born via c-section 9/20/15 - 8lb 9oz, 21 inches :)
amlobo
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:10 pm

I can't tell you whether or not it's worth it per se, but I will say that I almost always bra shop online at Nordstrom. They have a great selection of high-quality bras including maternity and nursing bras, as well as 100% free shipping and free returns. If you're not sure if it's "worth it," I'd look there or another place that allows free/easy returns so you can order and try on some good ones and make sure you're more comfortable :)

The A Bra That Fits reddit is also an excellent place for bra advice, as well as some really amazing measuring guides, style/comfort/size ratings, and shopping suggestions for different countries and even local stores specific to US cities. Many women who frequent /r/abrathatfits are also mothers who might be able to give you some really specialized advice on bras throughout pregnancy :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby s4mm13 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:03 am

I wouldn't get any nursing ones just yet. You've still got a lot of growing to do, plus your ribs will continue to expand out as you get bigger.

You might need to upgrade cup size two or three times in total. Nursing bras are best bought in the final weeks taking into consideration that your breasts will get even larger after the birth when your milk comes in.

Best of luck
Me 29
DH 30
Oscar forever 5 months
Our beautiful son Oscar, born 24/2/14 at 32 weeks with Tetralogy of Fallot, oesophageal atresia and tracheo oesophageal fistula. Earned his wings aged 5 months and 1 day.

Oscar is going to be a big brother. BFP #2 29/11/14

Arlo William, our beautiful rainbow born safely 22nd July 2015

s4mm13

Postby justxher » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:09 am

When I was bra shopping at 16 weeks the salespeople were warning me not to buy a nursing bra yet because your boobs will still change a lot throughout pregnancy, and again once you start nursing lol. I have no experience yet though so who knows
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby lauren818 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:26 am

So I went from a 34 small C (maybe even B+) to being a 38 C+/D- within my first few weeks of pregnancy (lots of side boob growth). Now at almost 34 weeks, my cup size hasn't changed but if I were to buy a bra today, I'd be a 40 as my ribs are HUGE (but that will likely go down when baby drops and after delivery), so I've only bought nursing bras while pregnant since I had to buy new bras anyway and figured they might as well do double duty. Honestly, my favorite bra is the one I bought at Target and it was less expensive than the Motherhood Maternity ones - however, I also bought two other bras at Target that now no longer fit as they are apparently small 38s and are too tight even on the last hook.

And yes - get some sleep bras. I poo'poo'ed it early on b/c who wants to sleep in a bra, but as my tatas got bigger and more sensitive, I now can't sleep without one as the girls are just too big, tender, and floppy!
me-30, DH-33

BFP at 10 dpo - 11/24/14

Beta #1 (18 dpo): 994
Beta #2 (20 dpo): 2550
Beta #3 (21 dpo): 4005

U/s 1: 12/16/14 - 6w6d by LMP; measuring 6w. Fetal pole 4.5mm and HB of 108!
U/s 2: 1/28/15 - 13w by LMP; measuring 12w6d! HB of 148-153 and lots of wiggles!

2/2/15 - IT'S A GIRL!!!!! + InformaSeq results all negative!

U/s 3: Measuring behind again but looks great - sucks her left thumb just like I did!

U/s 4: All caught up - again! We have a little yogi :)

lauren818
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:08 am

I can't agree enough about the The A Bra That Fits reddit and also making sure you are getting the right size. I checked out that reddit and some other sites, measured myself multiple times and discovered I was wearing the wrong size my whole damn life!

I went to Target last weekend and got some great cheap bras that feel amazing. The one I love the most is the Gilligan and O'Malley push up bra (I need a little help making the girls look perky). They didn't have my exact band size but it's ok because I use extenders anyway. I definitely think sometimes a girl has to spend a lot on a good fitting bra but sometimes, you can get a good $17 bra at Target and be satisfied. I checked out their nursing bras too and they had a good variety. I went cheap because I knew I was going to probably have to buy some more throughout this pregnancy.
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby FrostedFuji » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:54 am

Glad it helped you out, Lindsay! It's amazing how much misinformation about bra sizes gets spread around. I knew I was the wrong size for a while, but I was too nervous to measure myself because I had no idea where on earth I would shop if I was bigger than 38DD, lol. Turns out I'm a 36HH (or, I was...) and now I know where to shop too, haha! Unfortunately, that also means Target is out of the question for me, and I'm going to be spending a ton of money on new bras over the next year or so...
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby lmtc430 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:11 am

I had been wearing a 38B for my whole adult life and even that was the wrong size because I know I needed a 40 or 42 band size, which isn't easy to find in a B cup. When I put on the 38D, I was shocked. I also never knew there was a correlation between band size and cup size so that a 42D is bigger than a 34D. I am so happy to have a bra right now with straps not falling down! Even though Target carried my size, it wasn't easy finding a bra. I was probably looking for a good 30-45 minutes. I have had better luck at department stores and especially at Macy's - bigger range of options and more items in stock. My luck, I just bought a couple bras and will have to go out soon for more (grow chest grow)!
TTC for 3.5 years | Hypothyroid, high prolactin w/ polyp removal in Jan 15 | 3/30/15: unexpected BFP | 4/14/15: OMG It's TWINS! | 11/17/15 - Fiona & Oliver born at 37 weeks!
lmtc430
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby 90Kat » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:09 pm

I spent a good chunk of my 3 years in retail management learning how to properly size a woman, especially myself. When I was young I grew so fast and so large I just put whatever could hold them, on. I was wearing a 42DDD when I was 19. When I read up, learned and started talking to professionals I was constantly told "your no 42 around," so I decided it was worth a shot. Turned out I was a 38GG. I've met women who are 115 lbs wearing a 32A! Resize them and find out there a 26B. The problem with bra sizing is that women don't understand that your "typical sizes" are really sizes at all. Sure, there's 36B's and 32D's. But is still believe that more the 50% of women are wearing incorrect sizes. I know I'm blabbing a lot, but I guess what I'm getting at is it's incredibly important even with pregnancy to get sized! Or learn proper sizing yourself! There's also many different boob shapes, widths, and so on. You may be wearing the right size, but the wrong shape. Or even worse, the wrong shape with the wrong size.
It's incredible what finding the right bra can do, even if you feel like your boobs "aren't that big so it doesn't matter"

Sorry for the rant, I feel so concerned for girls poor breasts. I am having an incredibly hard time with my breasts and there growth during pregnancy. I'm smashing my breasts into a 40HH but I no where here sells my size so that I can try on :( and ordering my
Bras are incredibly expensive, it's important to get the right one!
90Kat
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to General Pregnancy Board