Gender prediction blood test?

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Gender prediction blood test?

Postby SaSears » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi ladies!

I was wondering if any of you have done the early blood test to determine gender. I was looking at the sneakpeek kit that you just do at home. I am SUPER impatient.

For anyone that doesn't know and wants to check it out, basically it works on the basis that fetal blood circulates along with the maternal blood. You prick your finger and send in a small blood sample. They run it and look for the presence of a y chromosome. If it's there, it's a boy. And if not, it's a girl. Which is totally legit logic. Apparently it has greater than 99% accuracy at 9 weeks. For $99. And if the baby comes out and they were wrong, they'll give you a full refund. Which is comforting.

I am only 5 wk 3d right now... But if everything looks good on my ultrasound at 7 weeks... I don't know if I'll be able to resist! Hahaha.... Anyway. Just wondering if anyone had done it! Or if anyone had any thoughts!
SaSears
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Gender prediction blood test?

Postby justxher » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:48 am

wow, 99$, can you post a link please!! I had the same thing done at the doctors, although they additionally check for chromosomal disorders, but it was 1200$ lol
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby SaSears » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Hahaha well this one definitely doesn't look for chromosomal disorders, but from everything I have read it's totally legit.

Sneakpeektest.com

I seriously spent like an hour yesterday trying to read reviews of people that had actually done it. Its pretty new so they're hard to come across. But I'm pretty much sold! Patience is definitely not my strong point.
SaSears
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby justxher » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:09 pm

I'll have to save this for the next one for sure. The science is definitely legit, that's how they do all the medical NIPT tests too. I guess it was only a matter of time before companies started offering it voluntarily, it's not really a patented technology.
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby FrostedFuji » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:22 pm

At 11 weeks I had cell free DNA testing (Harmony) done for chromosomal disorders and at 12 weeks we found out we are having a girl. For us, that test was a total of $130, not covered by insurance but the labs that created the test have a "price cap" program when it isn't covered.

If you really are that interested in finding out early, I would recommend looking into that route before spending $100 on a test that only determines gender. Particularly so you don't essentially end up paying for the same thing twice + trisomy testing. Your OB or midwife will usually provide you with genetic screening options at your first prenatal visit.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby SaSears » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Oh! Good to know! I had heard so many stories about women wanting to do those tests and being told no because they weren't technically high risk. But if that's an option for me, I would definitely prefer to go that route. Hahaha or I could always just wait like a normal person.
SaSears
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby FrostedFuji » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:43 pm

Waiting is overrated ;)

But in all honesty, I'd encourage you to ask your OB or midwife about it, they may have all the necessary information to reduce your costs. My insurance would only cover it if I had other tests show my pregnancy was high risk for downs, (the Harmony has been independently researched and shown to have a much higher accuracy rate) so I had also figured it would be out of the question. I personally feel the cost was worth it for the accuracy of information I gained about my risks, plus the baby's sex :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby SaSears » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:20 pm

I love it! Thanks so much! I'll ask when I go into the office for my ultrasound next week :)
SaSears
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby AmberESL » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:41 am

Definitely second (or third?) the suggestion to ask your doctor about genetic testing.
Both of my friends and myself, who have been pregnant in the last year, have gotten the chromosomal (and gender) test covered by their insurance for $100 or less. None of us were high risk at the time (unless being 32 is high risk and they don't tell us that in case it will scare us).

I had the "Panorama" test (a blood draw from my arm and a mouth swab from my husband). And our genetic counselor told us that test was free before she even knew our insurance info.

I think low-cost genetic testing has become open to more women very recently within the last few years.

On that note, mine was drawn at 10 weeks on June 12.... So results any time now. Very nervous!
--Amber (Me: 32 DH: 31)
EvilSockLady on TTC boards
Welcoming Adelaide "Addie" June
Born January 19 -- 8lbs 11oz -- 21.5"
AmberESL

Return to General Pregnancy Board