Anyone leaving their job soon to stay at home?

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Anyone leaving their job soon to stay at home?

Postby mw76777 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:04 pm

I'm 22 weeks pregnant with my first and I've made the decision to leave my job to stay home for a while so I don't miss out on all of the firsts! We're not rich by any means but my husband makes a decent income to afford me to stay home at least for a while. I'm nervous about the change! I've been working since I was 15 and I've never taken a break from a job or working. Is anyone else making this decision? I need a buddy! :)
mw76777

Re: Anyone leaving their job soon to stay at home?

Postby HighlandGamesGirlCO » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Oh how I wish I could!! The best I can get is the chance to work from home for a while - but I am also in school part time, so yeah...great timing on my part for school! :doh: lol

I am so happy that you get to stay home with your lo though, that is wonderful! Hopefully you will find more on here that will be staying home too!
Me (Lindsey) - 38
DH/love of my life - 44

"We are all atheists regarding most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

Fiona Jayne born 12/21/2015 - our solstice baby! 7lb 5.5oz 19.75"

It's a BOY! EDD Feb 16, 2017
Repeat c-section scheduled, Ciaran Reeves will arrive Feb 13, 2017!

HighlandGamesGirlCO
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sumia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:52 pm

I will! My husband has been in the running for this job for almost a year and half, and all he has to do is pass a psych exam to make sure mentally he is stable, which shouldn't be hard, and then hes got a job making what we both are right now. Also my current job would let me work remotely if I need to keep it while he works too. I shouldn't need to keep it and I would be happy just staying home with my child. So either way I will be a sahm!
BFP: 3/8/17
DD born 10/16/15
6/28/17 It's a BOY! Image
Sumia
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SaSears » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm only 8 weeks right now, but as long as all goes well I'll be working up until delivery and then I won't be going back to work. This will be kinda right financially but me and the husband both think it's what's best for the baby. I'm super nervous but also really excited.
SaSears
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby mw76777 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:18 am

I'm SO excited to be able to stay home with my baby, don't get me wrong! But, a part of me is worried that I may get lonely or depressed like the horror stories of "those" (crazy) stay at home moms that end up so secluded from the world they don't know how to socialize anymore! lol I know these are silly concerns and I'm sure i'll adjust and figure out ways to fill my time but it's just going to be SO different! I also worry that I will grow to feel lazy for not getting up and going to work everyday.
mw76777

Postby SaSears » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:20 pm

That's what I'm most worried about too! Hahaha being like "okay, now what?!" I have actually pinned a couple things on pinterest about what to do with baby all day long. So I'm hoping I can get some good ideas from there!
SaSears
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Sumia » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:24 pm

haha little one is going to keep you so busy and tired that first year, I can assure you that boredom wont come. In fact, you'll probably look forward to DH coming home so you can have a little "you" time, like to shower or just relax a bit lol. Watching my god daughter really opened my eyes to that, and it was only a couple days lol.
BFP: 3/8/17
DD born 10/16/15
6/28/17 It's a BOY! Image
Sumia
Addicted
Addicted

Postby FrostedFuji » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:28 pm

At this point I'm not sure what I'll be doing, but I have not been working since I graduated with my master's degree so unless I'm lucky enough to find something that works beforehand, I'll also be a SAHM, at least for a while! I'd LIKE to be working but DH has a really great job and we're quite comfortable so I'm in a particularly lucky position of being able to be very picky with what I apply to and eventually accept.

mw, do not be worried about feeling lazy, or going crazy. Baby is going to have you up at all different hours; there won't be much sleeping in or luxury time, and when there is you won't be feeling lazy for indulging! And as far as going crazy....I'm of the belief that if you're going to go crazy, you'll go crazy, working or no. The nature of the crazy might be different based on whether you're working or at home, but it's just going to happen.

I'd also like to point out, if you are absolutely miserable staying at home instead of working, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with going back to work sooner than planned. It is FAR more important to your child's wellbeing that you are happy with what you're doing than staying at home because you think you should.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby Mantis » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:13 am

Nope. I will be in the final year of my doctorate which is something I have been working towards since I first started university at 19 and it's important for to finish so I can achieve the goal I have been working towards for a long time. Once I am qualified I will be able to command a higher wage which will be able to afford me the privilege of working part time and stil being relatively comfortable.

The more time I take off prior to delivery the longer it will take me to finish when I return. I will take 3-6 months as an intermission and then return part time
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby jeepgirl88 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:15 am

Before I got pregnant I was in the process of looking for a new job because I'm just not happy where I am right now. I didn't think I'd be at this job for very long as we decided to start ttc just a few months after I started, but after we were ttc for awhile I figured it was time to stop planning for a baby and do what makes me happy. We live in a small rural town though where there isn't many opportunities, so I knew finding something new wouldn't be easy. Then once I got pregnant I realized that switching jobs wouldn't be ideal as to collect EI maternity benefits you have to have been at that position for at least 1 year. I also never even got called for an interview for this one job I was really hoping to get. So my plan now is to stick it out here for the rest of the year (only 6 more months!) and then I will take a full year off and collect EI to at least have a little bit of income. After that I'll look for something part time.

I am super excited to have a break from working and be a SAHM for awhile. My DH is also military, so he may have to go away on courses or may even be deployed, and I think its important that at least one of us is home to take care of the child. I work in retail so I don't make very much, and there's just no point in me working full-time just to put the kid in daycare. I plan to work part-time after the first year just to be able to get out of the house a few days a week, but my main job/focus will be taking care of the home and little one :)
Me: 28
DH: 32
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Artemis » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:44 am

I instruct fitness classes and personal train part time right now (out of the house for about 7 hrs a week!) and work at home typing up plans and such maybe about 5 hours a week. My family also owns and operates a pretty decent size grain, cattle, and pig farm so that of course is our bread winner. After baby I'll prob take a few months off from instructing classes but will go back to doing what I'm doing now. I can just drop my little nugget off at my aunts or have my husband take him/her over to the ranch. My husbands family all grew up in tractors lol, they used to take the whole baby carrier and strap it in and it put them all straight to sleep.

I feel pretty blessed with the lifestyle we have where I have the freedom to do my own thing or completely be a SAHM. My only reason why I wish to continue training and instructing classes is because it's a huge passion for me!! I love having an identity for myself outside of being a SAHM/ farmers wife. It's a creative outlet for me, and we allllll need at least one hour a day to be just "us" instead of "mom" or "housekeeper", "laundry maid", "chef" etc... It'll make me a better, happier mommy and wife :)
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mw76777 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:18 am

I envy those of you who have some kind of part time job on the side! I really don't have anything like that, that I can do. I really don't want to sell diet stuff on social media either lol. Good for y'all for having some kind of talent to keep you busy and help with income!! Maybe i'll find my hidden talent soon. ;)
mw76777

Postby FrostedFuji » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 am

Finding a hobby you enjoy can be a huge sanity saver, it really is for me regardless of what I'm doing (work, school, anything!). Volunteering for a good cause in your community can also be great; it's a good way to give back even if you're not contributing financially :)

And maybe you'll find a talent for being really frugal, and help out that way! Haha.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby skye skye » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:06 am

My dream has always been to be a SAHM while the my kids are young (I want at least 2), then slowly transition back into work when the youngest starts kindegarten. That's what my mom did with me and my sister and I think it worked well. I *think* DH and I should be able to live on his income alone (he's commission based, so it's hard to gauge)...the issue I'm having is that like some of you other ladies, I have been working since 15 and have never had a break. For me the thought of giving up my job & paycheck is not really welcoming. Even though I know DH would pay the bills with his income - it's hard for me to feel like I'm pulling my weight bringing NO money home. I know I'll be taking care of the home & baby...BUT it's such an adjustment to think of NOT getting a paycheck. That's always how I've validated buying that occasional outfit, pedicure, etc...I fear I will "lose my identity" when I try to become a SAHM, and I'm not sure I will actually enjoy it. I really WANT to though because I absolutely adore the memories I have of my mom when she was home with me and my sister at a young age. I'm also just really hesitant to go with working full time and putting baby in daycare full time - I'm scared that baby will learn bad habits from the daycare since they'll be there more than home with DH and I. Such a catch 22!!
Married 12-13-14
:bfp: 7-9-14 natural mc @ 5wks6d 7-19-14
:bfp: 1-18-15 EDD: 9-20-15
1st u/s 1-27-15: baby measuring 6wks2d :hb: 102bpm!!!
2nd u/s 2-17-15: No :hb:, baby stopped developing at 7.5 weeks-MMC - D&C 3/9/15
:bfp: 7-8-15 EDD: 3-13-16
beta#1 @ 23dpo=6720
beta#2 @ 25dpo=10521
u/s @ 6w1d :hb: 114!!!
u/s @ 8w3d :hb: 168!!!
u/s @ 12w4d NT scan great! :hb: 165!!!
u/s @ 14w6d TEAM GRAY!! (Ie: team blue sucks)
u/s @ 19w5d HEALTHY baby! :hb: 140
skye skye
Angel
Angel

Postby KatyinDC » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:54 am

Sam, you could always take some time off to stay at home and if SH's job ever suffers due to the economy, go back to work....might be an option.

I will be working after the baby. I enjoy working, don't love it, but do enjoy it - and we really can't afford for me to stay home, especially in an expensive city. Maybe when we move back south, I can afford it. I wish that there were more part time options. I would love to work part time and keep skills sharp -- and stay home with kids part time. Sadly, not as many options like that in many careers.
Katy (31) DH (30)

TTC #1 since October 2014

Cycle 2 :bfp: at 11dpo: 12.10.14
due 08.21.15
:angel: MC at 12 weeks, 2 days: 02.07.15

2 Chemical Pregnancies: March and April 2015

JUNE 17, 2016 -- :bfp: at 8dpo!!!
BETAS: 326 at 14dpo (am); 691 at 16dpo (am)
7 week heartbeat :hb: = 151
8.5 week heartbeat :hb: = 177
10 week doppler :hb: = 160s
12 week heartbeat :hb: = 163
14 week heartbeat :hb: = 148

DUE DATE: Feb. 28, 2016

IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!

KatyinDC
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to General Pregnancy Board