Preterm labor experiences?

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Preterm labor experiences?

Postby FrostedFuji » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:31 pm

I'm at 17w 3d right now, and I'm increasingly paranoid about going into preterm labor. There's a history of it in my mother's side of the family, with my mother on bedrest with me from weeks 33 to 37 when I was finally born, my aunt going into preterm labor with her first daughter resulting in a c-section premature birth, and most recently my cousin (daughter of my mother's other sister) has had her two children at 30w and 34w respectively. With her first she was on bedrest since week 20, I think? And hospitalized bedrest from weeks 24 to 30 when they couldn't stop the labor and delivered her daughter.

I'm collecting their stories so I have more information to share with my midwife, but in the meantime I was really hoping to get some ideas/experiences/understanding of what preterm labor is like and what to really look out for. Everything I have read seems to indicate that preterm labor is supposed to "feel like" regular labor, but I've never been through that either! And I would think (hope) there are warning signs that I can look for. Right now every twinge, cramp, and stretch is making me question if I should call my midwife. I'd like to be prepared and hopefully be able to spot it early if I do end up experiencing it, to give my daughter the best shot possible.

Any tips and stories would be really appreciated, especially how it physically felt and what made you realize you were definitely in labor. Thank you all bunches! :hb:
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Re: Preterm labor experiences?

Postby s4mm13 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:32 am

I delivered my son at 32 weeks. Then I didn't pick up on the signs but in hindsight there were probably a couple of small indications he was on his way.

The night before he came I was quite achy. I just put it down to growing etc and had a bath. I was also super irritable and grumpy. My little nieces were over and I just didn't have any patience for them.
I had to get DH to check me "down there" as I was convinced something was falling out! Didn't feel like baby, but was probable because he'd dropped a little further.

Another, in hindsight, sign was my bowels cleared themselves out a couple days before and a couple weeks before lost big parts of my plug (I mentioned this to my consultant, but no one was worried)

Then the next morning, while lying in bed, pop, my water went. That was the first real noticeable sign at the time!

It was strange really as I wasn't panicked. I don't think it really dawned on me what it meant and what was happening.

My labour was fast, especially for a first baby, but everyone was wonderful and my little Oscar came into the world so beautifully. He had medical issues so it was a little more complicated, but a healthy baby at this gestation will do amazingly well!

Best of luck. Xx
Me 29
DH 30
Oscar forever 5 months
Our beautiful son Oscar, born 24/2/14 at 32 weeks with Tetralogy of Fallot, oesophageal atresia and tracheo oesophageal fistula. Earned his wings aged 5 months and 1 day.

Oscar is going to be a big brother. BFP #2 29/11/14

Arlo William, our beautiful rainbow born safely 22nd July 2015

s4mm13

Postby FrostedFuji » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:13 am

Thank you for sharing! That was very helpful :) I think I lost part of my plug very late last night, so I'm a little freaked out now. Going to call my midwife in a little bit.

Our first baby!

FrostedFuji

Postby s4mm13 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:49 am

Absolutely do and make sure they don't brush you off.

Do remember that the plug has the ability to regenerate itself, so just because you've lost it doesn't mean that you'll definitely go into labour....

My story isn't meant to scare you or make you worry. It was just my experience of going into premature labour. It's different for every single woman.

Take care xx
Me 29
DH 30
Oscar forever 5 months
Our beautiful son Oscar, born 24/2/14 at 32 weeks with Tetralogy of Fallot, oesophageal atresia and tracheo oesophageal fistula. Earned his wings aged 5 months and 1 day.

Oscar is going to be a big brother. BFP #2 29/11/14

Arlo William, our beautiful rainbow born safely 22nd July 2015

s4mm13

Postby FrostedFuji » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:19 am

Oh, no worries! I was already researching and planning to call before I even read your post. I'm just being overly cautious; I made sure at my first prenatal appointment that they noted in my file that my family has a history of preterm labor, so I have a good and recorded reason to stick up for myself. Hopefully it was just a fluke (I read intercourse can sometimes dislodge it and that is definitely a possibility) but I definitely think it needs to be checked out just in case.

Your story is incredibly helpful, thank you!

Our first baby!

FrostedFuji

Postby justxher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:57 am

That's s a really good idea to learn and prepare for what labour will feel like. I wish I had done the same thing because when I went into labour early in the pregnancy I didn't even realize that's what it was and by the time I went to the hospital my contractions were only 3 minutes apart.

I'm not sure if my experience is relevant as it happened at only 18 weeks but for me it started off with a heavy/achy feeling in my uterus one day and I noticed a bit more discharge than usual. That night I was completely unable to sleep because of the discomfort, and the next day I noticed that the "squeezy crampy feeling" was happening in intervals rather than consistently, though I never thought to time it. Then I noticed some spotting and lost my mucous plug a few hours later and that's when it was obvious.
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby FrostedFuji » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:55 am

Justx, thank you so much for sharing. I am so sorry for your loss. I honestly would never have thought to ask if not for my family history; my cousin was fortunate to recognize it and be treated before it became a problem too early, but I am sure that for everyone who does notice like she did, there is at least one person who doesn't or isn't sure.

I think every experience is worth sharing because it will be relevant to someone. I'm 18 weeks today, and goodness knows I'm praying that nothing happens yet; I'm really looking forward to hitting the viability milestone, because I'll be able to relax just a little more. But knowing your experience, hopefully I will be prepared to recognize it if something happens sooner.

Here's hoping this thread can help more women in the future who are looking for answers :)

Our first baby!

FrostedFuji

Return to General Pregnancy Board