Does my nursery furniture have to match?

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Does my nursery furniture have to match?

Postby jeepgirl88 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:41 pm

I have been checking Kijiji, (a Canadian classified ad website) for Baby stuff. There are some things I may like to get new, but we have a bit of a budget and I figure we can likely score good deals on some second hand items that are still in great condition. My biggest issue with buying second hand furniture is that it likely won't match.

For example, I found these 2 items listed yesterday:

I really like the change table and how it has the cubby holes and drawers, and they only want $40 for it. But I'm just not sure the colour would look very good with something like the black crib.

We are going to look at these items tomorrow, the ads say they are 'in excellent condition' so we'll see. I just wanted some input before I buy anything, I'm definitely interested in the change table, but will it look ridiculous if its a different colour from the other furniture?

I suppose we could always paint it, but I thought it might be difficult to paint inside the cubby holes :?
Me: 28
DH: 32
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Does my nursery furniture have to match?

Postby amlobo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:56 pm

No, it doesn't have to match. Plus, I think those two pieces might look good together depending on your color scheme for the rest of the room :) Black kind of matches anything, I think.

I was really hung up on making everything "match" too, but there were 2 pieces of existing furniture we wanted to use that would not possibly match any crib or changing table we'd be able to buy. So, we decided to just mix finishes. I have a medium wood dresser and rocker, and a white crib and changing table.

I figure, the only people who will see it are DH, me, and our immediate family, so why do I care? The baby definitely won't care :) So, we decided it wasn't worth the headache of trying to paint everything to match. If you're really worried (and believe me, I took a while to come around), try searching online for nurseries with the mix of finishes you're interested in. I looked at a lot of photos before I decided the mixing was ok, lol.
Me (Amanda): 31

July 2014: Missed M/C at 11 weeks, measured 7w4d
January 2015: BFP at 9dpo, EDD 9/19/15

DS born via c-section 9/20/15 - 8lb 9oz, 21 inches :)
amlobo
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:10 pm

Yes it does, I've heard horror stories about doctors refusing to release babies from the hospital because mom & dad let slip that their crib was a deep mahogany color, but the glider and changing table were cherry. There's even one story about a woman who got refused a discharge because her car seat clashed with her purse!

:rofl:

In all seriousness, NO and NEVER. If you really wanted to paint things to match, go for it. But realistically nobody is going to care. Nurseries don't NEED themes, furniture doesn't HAVE to match, etc. etc. etc. If you find a good deal, the furniture is safe and up to par with your standards, go for it! Baby will be happy, and safe, and secure, regardless of the colors in his/her room. Finnish babies reportedly sleep in cardboard boxes for a good part of their first year as part of a social program to ensure all babies have the basic necessities sorted out. You'll make the right choice :)

Edited to add: Also, anyone who sees your nursery is going in to see brand new Baby Jeepgirl. They won't care about the room, baby will be the star of the show, hands down!
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby jeepgirl88 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks ladies!! And Fuji, your sarcastic comments made me laugh :rofl:

You have actually inspired me to do some research on design, and after reading a few articles, I learned some great points: Allowing various wood tones to coexist, just like the many types of trees in a single forest, can create a more interesting and textured look, and that incorporating too much of the same wood tone results in a static feeling, making it hard for individual pieces to stand out.

Here are the articles I looked at:

http://www.lonny.com/Design+Inspiration ... s+Any+Room
http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/995244/l ... e-Finishes
http://www.hardwoodinfo.com/articles/view/admirer/4/224

It seems like the main point is that its totally okay to have different finishes of furniture, as long as you find some way to tie them together. So I had an idea (if we do buy both of these pieces) that it could even be something as simple as buying black baskets for the change table cubby holes. Also, I took a closer look at the photo of the crib (from the Sears catalogue) and noticed that the bedding and décor in the photo would totally tie in with light brown/oak!

Wow...I'm now super stoked about having a non-matching nursery hahaha!
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Postby OCT.4me » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:55 pm

Well I'm not able to cope with furniture that doesn't go but no reason why you can't paint one to look like the other if you wanted to. I have always been on a budget and... I am super picky about second hand furniture buys... Like they have to be solid wood and when you say good condition don't lie to me and think I'll take your crap just because I showed up. Today I made a great buy... Changing table and dresser plus crib for 75 dollars. The flaws can be easy hidden with this wood color in pen... fYI must have with kids since they sing up wood and its restored the pieces to look new again... Anyways the but was good but I'm due in three weeks and it's taken this long to find a "steal".. So it also depends on how long you want to wait.

Also nursery furniture doesn't mean has to be from baby r us. I used a dresser and turned in into a changing station... I have seen others convert China hutches into baby stations and old school dry sinks into baby stations. I once used a TV stand and by the way when these items are used they look like they were meant to go together and be for baby.

Primitive styles show how to mix and match furniture, and I love to buy second hand for baby years since the bigger buys I want my children to use their entire childhood with me and I'm willing to put more money into.
Due Sept. 7th, 2015 carrying this miracle to term!!!

MY CHILDREN

ANGEL BABIES

TWO MORE ANGELS in HEAVEN as well
OCT.4me
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jeepgirl88 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:14 am

Oct, that's a good tip about the wood touch up pen, thanks!

So we purchased both the change table unit and the crib. The change table is nice and heavy/sturdy and in great condition, it just needs a cleaning. The crib does have some scratches and even some teeth marks but I wasn't too concerned about that because we saved about $300 by not buying it new. I guess I should stop caring about my furniture being in perfect condition when there's going to be a little one in the house. The conversion rails for the double bed are still in the box, so that's good :)

We put the change table in the living room for now as it was too heavy for us to bring upstairs, and I actually think I like it in there and it ties in with the TV stand and bookcase, so using it in that room instead is a good option. We figured we might want one both downstairs and upstairs anyways (I know we don't even NEED a change table, but we're both tall so it'll be better for our backs), and so I may just look for a dresser for upstairs put a change pad on it, and we'll be all set! :) Oh, and a rocking chair/glider of course. That's one think I think I'd like to splurge and get new.
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Yelibaby » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:04 am

I'm actually wanting to use mismatched furniture, my only concern is I don't want it to be gender specific, so I can use it for our second baby. I don't think furniture has to match, only coordinate, which is not the same thing. My house is a bit eclectic like that.

I couldn't see the pics, but I know you'll make it work!
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.

BFP Feb. 15, 2015 - MC at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo)

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

Please be my rainbow baby!!
Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby carolshannon » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:50 pm

hello, You can buy different types of furniture for your baby room. Walking in a baby furniture store is usually completely mind blowing - there's a whole lot stuff! Most of us lack an unlimited sum of money to spend, and issues never had a infant before, it can be really hard to work out what's really necessary, beneficial, or basically a waste of energy. If you're planning to build a gift register at the store, you want to ensure the things you place on it are useful in addition to practical. It's can many be incredibly confusing.You can buy the necessary furniture in different styles and colors from http://interiorofficesystems.com/ at affordable prices.

carolshannon

Return to General Pregnancy Board