Measuring Small

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Measuring Small

Postby SarahCHW » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:34 am

Anyone out there have experience with measuring small? My 21 week ultrasound had little bean pegged around 20 weeks, but since they have been measuring my "bump" (which is basically non existent), I've falling to being consistently 2 weeks behind. My doctor said, "I'm not concerned, but I am going to have you come in for another ultrasound in two weeks."

So what I heard was, don't freak out, I'm not concerned, but I am a little concerned. I haven't gained weight, (I was overweight when I got pregnant by about 10 pounds, I have gained 8 pounds since getting pregnant to date and am 27 weeks). I have had a lot of morning sickness. I asked my doctor if there was anything I should try to either gain weight or help baby grow and he said no.

I wasn't really worried, but the closer I get to that ultrasound (next Tuesday), the further away it feels, and the more I worry. Hoping someone else has experienced carrying a tiny baby and is doing great now :)
SarahCHW
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Measuring Small

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:45 pm

I wouldn't worry about your doctor being concerned; for someone measuring too large or too small, a follow-up ultrasound is just a routine precaution. That doesn't mean there's anything to be concerned about, just that they're going to check anyway because they would with anyone else.

I'm 31 weeks now and I've gained a total of 12 lbs, 4 of them in the last few weeks. Now to be fair, I haven't measured small; however, the actual size of your bump depends on a lot of factors, such as your torso size. While fundal height measurements are intended to be from your pubic bone to the top of your uterus, I'm a firm believer that the size and shape of your torso will impact how your uterus expands and thus how it will measure.

So take a deep breath and look forward to the ultrasound just to see your baby :) Let the measuring commence, and see where that falls - but know that full-term babies are born within a big range of sizes, from 5 lbs to 11, and size alone doesn't equate to health.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby SarahCHW » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:36 am

Thanks for all the kind words! I really really appreciate it. I am super looking forward to the extra look! every once in awhile Tuesday feels too far away and I think crazy lady hormones kick in :)
SarahCHW
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby SaSears » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:59 pm

My sister! With her second, baby measured small at the beginning of the third tri... They pushed her due date back and everything... Turns out that baby came right on time and was perfect size and perfectly healthy. My doctor told me that measuring 10 days bigger or smaller than is "normal" is totally normal. And 14 days isn't that far off from 10. Enjoy that extra ultrasound!
"
SaSears
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Yelibaby » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:58 am

Any updates?
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.

BFP Feb. 15, 2015 - MC at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo)

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

Please be my rainbow baby!!
Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SarahCHW » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:35 am

Thanks for checking in! My ultrasound was Tuesday and it went great. I have plenty of fluid and the baby is measuring in the 47th percentile (my first scan had me measuring in the 25th). We even got to see baby practice breathing, which they said is an awesome sign and something they only do when they have energy to waste on non essential things :). They did comment that my bump is just atypical, and updated my due date by two days, but really two days seems like a worthless update when I see my due date as a plus or minus a couple weeks sort of thing :P

I was super nervous leading up to the scan, but I am really glad we know everything is ok now. I hope everyone is doing well, or as well as can be expected while growing a human :D
SarahCHW
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby SaSears » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:03 am

Oh good! So glad everything looked good!
SaSears
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby HighlandGamesGirlCO » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:12 am

From what my midwife said, the way they measure in the ultrasound is crap, and fundal height is also a guessing game. My baby measured in the 18th percentile at her last scan, but I have a short torso and my fundal height has been 2cm ahead at every visit. It is basically a crapshoot! lol

Glad all went well for you!!
Me (Lindsey) - 38
DH/love of my life - 44

"We are all atheists regarding most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

Fiona Jayne born 12/21/2015 - our solstice baby! 7lb 5.5oz 19.75"

It's a BOY! EDD Feb 16, 2017
Repeat c-section scheduled, Ciaran Reeves will arrive Feb 13, 2017!

HighlandGamesGirlCO
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General Pregnancy Board