How early can I use a home doppler?

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

How early can I use a home doppler?

Postby erin860 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi ladies,
I am 8 weeks 4 days today and my sister in law has a home doppler that I am just dying to try out. I had a lot of worry when I first found out I was pregnant about miscarrying. I'm feeling a lot better now after seeing a heartbeat at my dating scan at 7 weeks but I'd still love to hear that heartbeat again. When is the earliest you think I will be able to??? She was going to try today but I'm scared I'm too early, she didn't find hers until 10 weeks with her baby.
Thanks!!!
erin860

Re: How early can I use a home doppler?

Postby alecita1987 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:32 pm

I'm 9w6d today and I've been trying for a couple days and still can't find it. I have a tilted uterus though and that can make it harder to find it. If your uterus is in normal position it could be easier though. I think you can start trying after 8 weeks but don't get discouraged if you can't find it right away. It takes a lot of patience I've heard...
A few ladies in my DDC found it at around 7-8 weeks, so it's possible to find it that early :D .
Me: 29, DH: 28
DS: 14 months old

BFP! 4/21/15 -> :angel: MMC @ 10w (6/6/15)
BFP! 10/1/15 -> DS born 6/9/16. My RAINBOW Baby!
BFP! 6/26/17 -> EDD 3/8/18 :sticky:

Ultrasound on 8/1/17 @ 8w5d :hb: 172 bpm

alecita1987

Postby FrostedFuji » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:52 pm

I think a lot of it depends on your body and your baby. At my second prenatal appointment around 11 weeks, the midwife warned me that it can take a while to find the heartbeat with the doppler and to not be worried if she was trying for a few minutes or couldn't find it at all. She put the doppler on my belly, and BOOM there was baby. Two weeks later I was bleeding and rather panicked, so I went in and it took a good 5-8 minutes for the midwife to find her. By far the longest few minutes of my life.

By 15 or 16 weeks it was pretty easy for them to find, and they've been right on the money every time since.

So in the end, I think it really depends on you. Do you think you will be absolutely panicked if you can't find it at all? If that's the case, I'd say to hold off. If you're willing to be persistent, and be okay knowing that you might not be able to find it now, then it's worth a try :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby erin860 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:39 pm

Thanks ladies, I did try and couldn't hear a heartbeat (I really wasn't expecting to be able to) but did hear the whooshing sound of the placenta. Is that any type of good sign????
erin860

Postby FrostedFuji » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:32 pm

The "whooshing" of the placenta is actually your own heartbeat. At 8 weeks, your placenta isn't fully developed yet, so you may have heard what has already developed, or you may have heard something else (another organ) with lots of vessels in it.

Not to be a downer, just trying to be honest :) Either way, I think it's great because now you'll more easily be able to distinguish your own sounds from baby's in the future!
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby justxher » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:48 pm

I was able to find it with my last baby from around 9 weeks, but I had to press pretty hard and search for a while!

This time the nurse tried at 7w3d, which I thought was way too early, but she said she heard it briefly and it was very faint. I didnt hear it though lol, but I'm sure she knows better
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby erin860 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:57 pm

Well we did find it two days ago when I was at 10 1/2 weeks. It was such an awesome feeling to get to hear it. It was loud and clear but we tried again today and either couldn't find it or didn't hear it as loud. Now I'm a little worried even though I am sure everything is fine. I have another ultrasound in 8 days but in the mean time I think I will try again in a day or two but then stay away from the doppler for a while until I am farther along and can hear it easier. For now I am wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the same thing of finding the heartbeat and then not being able to find it for a couple of day. Thanks ladies!
erin860

Postby aboulanger » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:44 am

erin860 wrote:Hi ladies,
I am 8 weeks 4 days today and my sister in law has a home doppler that I am just dying to try out. I had a lot of worry when I first found out I was pregnant about miscarrying. I'm feeling a lot better now after seeing a heartbeat at my dating scan at 7 weeks but I'd still love to hear that heartbeat again. When is the earliest you think I will be able to??? She was going to try today but I'm scared I'm too early, she didn't find hers until 10 weeks with her baby.
Thanks!!!

I started using mine and hearing him about 10 weeks. :) It's exciting. Give it another week or so and keep checking. It's A LOT lower down then you'd think!!! Go right along your pubic bone right now.
#2 due 8/2017

DS- Colin Born 2/2016

aboulanger
Star Member
Star Member

Postby erin860 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:38 am

Hi again everyone, You are right about the baby being lower than you think and almost to the pelvic bone. After finding a heartbeat on Saturday, not being able to find it on Monday, and finding it again on Friday I think the baby is really small and hard to find. Personally,hearing it was great but then not hearing made me scared. Now that I have heard it again I am going to put away the doppler until a few weeks when it gets a little bigger and will be easier to find all the time. Thanks for all your replies ladies!!!
erin860

Return to General Pregnancy Board