ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby Butterbeans » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Hi All

I have an Ultrasound questions topic going in the TTC boards, and some have asked me to put one here. I am a Registered Generalist Sonographer with American and Canadian Credentials, and have the OB/GYN specialties (among others). Feel free to ask anything :)
Image
Butterbeans
Friend
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:55 am

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby Amanda0713 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:55 pm

No questions, yet, but thank you for this!!! I have read your posts on the TTC board. So nice to have an u/s expert over here! Thanks again :)
DS born 7/28/13
MC at 8 weeks June 2015
BFP 10/06/15
EDD 6/16/16

Image
Amanda0713
Hot Mama
Hot Mama
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:07 am

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby Honey Bunny » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:58 pm

Thank you!!! That was me! I will make this a sticky so it's easy for anyone to find and ask! Thanks so much for doing this!
Me: 27
DH : 53

Image IT'S A GIRL!Image
Claire Olivia
Born: July 17th, 2015

Baby # 2 EDD JULY 16th, 2016 - Team Green Again!
Image


Image
Image
User avatar
Honey Bunny
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:12 pm

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby valerie0187 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:05 am

I don't have any questions either but I do appreciate this!
Me: 30
First appointment with RE on November 2013
BFP on April 11, 2015
EDD December 21, 2015
-------------------
1st app with u/s - 5/4/15 - bpm 133 :hb:, 6w6d
4th app with u/s - 7/17/15 - Expecting a baby girl!
Image

Went to the hospital - 12/14/15 at 12 noon
Born on - 12/15/15 at 4:14 AM

- Single Mother By Choice (SMC)
ImageImage
User avatar
valerie0187
Hot Mama
Hot Mama
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:08 pm

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby justxher » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:26 pm

I'm sure I'll have something new to bug you about in no time lol
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
User avatar
justxher
Angel
Angel
 
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby erin860 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:33 am

Hello, I do have a question or I guess just want to know if this sounds normal...I am 10 weeks, at 7 weeks I had an ultrasound and saw a healthy heartbeat. I went back at 10 and they did another and the baby was really low, almost at my pelvic bone. We could clearly see the baby, saw it move, and heard its heartbeat. My badder was really full and pushing down on the baby so she told me to empty my bladder in the hopes we could get a better image for some pictures. When I did, it looked like the baby disappeared. The images were terrible and totally fuzzy...I couldn't tell where the baby was anymore at all but she said because she looks at this all the time she could tell and pointed to the screen. I still couldn't see anything is this normal??? Thanks so much for reading!
erin860
Member
Member
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:03 am

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby chorse37 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:17 am

Thank you so much for this thread! I have some questions that you might be able to answer.

I had fluctuating progesterone levels early on so I was put on suppositories, then had some spotting after that. I had extremely high hCG levels measured four times (see sig). At my first US at 7w3d (charting, sure of O date), they found one big gestational sac, two yolk sacs, and two fetal poles - twins! The bigger one on the left measured 10 days behind at 5w6d and had a tiny flicker of a heart that they couldn't get a rate for. The smaller one on the right was still and they didn't tell me its measured size.

Is it normal for identical twins to measure behind on an early scan? In your experience can these little guys catch up? I had my beta drawn again and, while it increased a little from two weeks prior, it is now lower than average for a singleton at that gestational age. Could this mean that one twin miscarried and the other one could be ok? Could this also be a normal plateau and everything is fine? I have a followup US this week so hopefully I'll get definitive answers soon, but I know I will not be able to focus on anything else between now and then!

Image
Me/DH: 28; together since 2006
TTC #1
BFP 7/29/15 Due 4/09/16 :angel: missed MC 9/1/15
BFP 10/28/15 Due 7/10/16 IDENTICAL TWINS! :angel: :angel: missed MC 12/13/15

BFP 03/05/16 Due 11/13/16

Image
User avatar
chorse37
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby Butterbeans » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:17 pm

erin860 wrote:Hello, I do have a question or I guess just want to know if this sounds normal...I am 10 weeks, at 7 weeks I had an ultrasound and saw a healthy heartbeat. I went back at 10 and they did another and the baby was really low, almost at my pelvic bone. We could clearly see the baby, saw it move, and heard its heartbeat. My badder was really full and pushing down on the baby so she told me to empty my bladder in the hopes we could get a better image for some pictures. When I did, it looked like the baby disappeared. The images were terrible and totally fuzzy...I couldn't tell where the baby was anymore at all but she said because she looks at this all the time she could tell and pointed to the screen. I still couldn't see anything is this normal??? Thanks so much for reading!


Hi Erin!

Don't worry - sometimes a really full bladder can artificially elongate the cervix and make the implantation site look lower than normal. I'm certain everything is fine. As long as youare not cramping or bleeding and there is a good heartrate above 120, you're doing great!
Getting a good image of a fist trimester fetus can be challenging. It depends on fetal position (sometimes they plaster themselves against the wall of the gestation sac), sometimes overlying fat or gas can get in the way, and the shape and orientation of the uterus can take baby further from the probe face. This is why we like endovaginal scans for first trimester, we can get really close and the baby can be seen clearly :)
I'll bet you at your 18-20 week sacn you will see everything perfectly!
Image
Butterbeans
Friend
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:55 am

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby Butterbeans » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:05 pm

chorse37 wrote:Thank you so much for this thread! I have some questions that you might be able to answer.

I had fluctuating progesterone levels early on so I was put on suppositories, then had some spotting after that. I had extremely high hCG levels measured four times (see sig). At my first US at 7w3d (charting, sure of O date), they found one big gestational sac, two yolk sacs, and two fetal poles - twins! The bigger one on the left measured 10 days behind at 5w6d and had a tiny flicker of a heart that they couldn't get a rate for. The smaller one on the right was still and they didn't tell me its measured size.

Is it normal for identical twins to measure behind on an early scan? In your experience can these little guys catch up? I had my beta drawn again and, while it increased a little from two weeks prior, it is now lower than average for a singleton at that gestational age. Could this mean that one twin miscarried and the other one could be ok? Could this also be a normal plateau and everything is fine? I have a followup US this week so hopefully I'll get definitive answers soon, but I know I will not be able to focus on anything else between now and then!

Image


Hi there

great question, and I'm sorry for all your worry, I know it can be a stressful time waiting for answers.
Last menstrual periods are no very accurate ways of dating pregnancies, even if you are sure of your dates. These are monochorionic diamniotic monozygotic twins (identical twins that share a placenta but have separate amniotic sacs). Because they divided to make two individuals a bit later than usual, they share a placenta. If they waited one day more, they would share an amniotic sac. One day more, and they would be conjoined.

Because of the extra step of duplication, it can make them measure a bit smaller, but the likely scenario is either a dating error because the embryos were soooo small, or because fertilization was delayed, or a combo of the two.
At this early stage, the heart rate is slow and can be difficult to obtain an m-mode sample on an extremely small flutter, especially when mom is breathing and the babies are so small. I usually get the mom to hold her breath when I take heart rate samples.

Don't be concerned about movement, at this early gestational age, you wouldn't see movement anyway. We actually do not diagnose death on an embryo until the CRL measures close to 10 mm now. It's very possible that the smaller embryo has not started it's heart beating yet.

Don't worry about your HCG - the "normal range" can wary wildly at every week of gestation.

They look really good here actually. Please let me know how your follow up scan goes! I can't promise anything, but I'm trying to be positive and praying that both your twins make it!
Image
Butterbeans
Friend
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:55 am

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby FrostedFuji » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:07 pm

I'm curious, how are you able to tell from the photo that they're mo/di twins? (Aside from "lots and lots of training & practice" :rofl:)

chorse, I have my fingers crossed for you that you get good news at your followup :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

Image
FrostedFuji
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby chorse37 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:09 pm

I appreciate your insights! It was nice to hear that they were looking good at that time; it really gave me some hope. Thank you for addressing all of my questions, too. During my appointment I was too overwhelmed to think through everything.

My followup was only bad news, unfortunately. One twin had vanished, and the other, even though it was a bit bigger than last week, still had no measurable heartbeat. My doc told me to stop taking the progesterone and expect to miscarry naturally within a week or two. :cry:

Image
Me/DH: 28; together since 2006
TTC #1
BFP 7/29/15 Due 4/09/16 :angel: missed MC 9/1/15
BFP 10/28/15 Due 7/10/16 IDENTICAL TWINS! :angel: :angel: missed MC 12/13/15

BFP 03/05/16 Due 11/13/16

Image
User avatar
chorse37
StickyDuster
StickyDuster
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:46 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that, chorse :( I'll be praying for your rainbow soon.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

Image
FrostedFuji
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 676
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:52 pm

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby Butterbeans » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:57 pm

chorse37 wrote:I appreciate your insights! It was nice to hear that they were looking good at that time; it really gave me some hope. Thank you for addressing all of my questions, too. During my appointment I was too overwhelmed to think through everything.

My followup was only bad news, unfortunately. One twin had vanished, and the other, even though it was a bit bigger than last week, still had no measurable heartbeat. My doc told me to stop taking the progesterone and expect to miscarry naturally within a week or two. :cry:

Image



I am so so so sorry to hear your sad news :'( Such a difficult thing to deal with. I hope I didn't give false hope, I was really trying to be optimistic, I desperately wanted that joy for you :(
I wish I was there to give you a hug. Take all the time you need to grieve your little angels, it's a process. You are a healthy woman and I pray you are blessed again very soon.
Take good care of yourself, and treat yourself with kindess these next few weeks. :hugs:
Image
Butterbeans
Friend
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:55 am

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby Butterbeans » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:12 pm

FrostedFuji wrote:I'm curious, how are you able to tell from the photo that they're mo/di twins? (Aside from "lots and lots of training & practice" :rofl:)

chorse, I have my fingers crossed for you that you get good news at your followup :)


Hi There

I was able to tell because the single big black fluid sac is the gestation sac. One gestation sac often means one placenta (monochorionic) , but each baby can sometimes have their own. This is something that has to be decided early in the pregnancy, as the placentas can grow so close together they look like one big placenta. If there were two black sacs, that would be two gestation sacs and two placentas, or dichorionic.

Monoamniotic means both twins are in the same amniotic sac. Diamniotic means they are in two separate bags.

Fraternal twins are always dichorionic diamniotic, whereas identical twins can be di/di, mon/di or mono/mono
Image
Butterbeans
Friend
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:55 am

Re: ULTRASOUND QUESTIONS WELCOME!!

Postby Puddle of Cuddles » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:48 pm

@CHorse, I read your update yesterday, but didn't initially respond because I hadn't been active at all on this post, and didn't want to impose. But I thought about you all day yesterday. I felt like I could almost feel what you were feeling and I wanted so badly to send you some peace and some comfort. I hope you and your DH are doing ok, and I hope your process from here goes as smoothly as possible. I'm so sorry for your losses.
Puddle of Cuddles
Friend
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Next

Return to General Pregnancy Board