couldn't determine if there was is a nasal bridge

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

couldn't determine if there was is a nasal bridge

Postby erin860 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi ladies, I just had my first trimester screening. The lady doing my ultrasound said the fluid amount looked perfect. However, she was unable to determine the size/if there was a nasal bridge. Apparently she couldn't get a good angle and then the baby's hand was in the way. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks!
erin860

Re: couldn't determine if there was is a nasal bridge

Postby erin860 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:50 am

Hi again,let me rephrase my question a little...did you doctors check for a nasal bone at 12 weeks. I'm so confused because my sister-in-law's doctor didn't even check for one that early. I go back this week to be rechecked and have been doing a lot of research to prepare myself if it is not there. I have read so many posts on other sites where it was not present at 12 weeks but then eventually showed up at 20 weeks or even later in pregnancy. I asked a question on the ultrasound post and she said that if the baby was in the right position to measure the fluid at the neck (which the baby was) then she should have been able to see the nose if it was present. SO, I don't know what to think???? ANY advice or stories would be appreciated.
erin860

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:42 pm

Our US tech checked for one and it was present, but she did get it in the middle of the ultrasound as we were trying to get baby in the right position to check the back of her neck! I would imagine it's different for everyone. It is a very small bone, and my understanding is that it's not diagnostic in and of itself - it just increases the accuracy slightly when combined with all other factors. I hope your next scan goes well :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby TrebleLily » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:54 am

I just had my 20 week ultrasound yesterday. While we were able to see a cute little button nose, the tech told us not to worry if a nose couldn't be found. He said sometimes it just develops late, and in people with Asian background it's often not visible at all ever as their facial structure just doesn't have much of a protruding nasal bridge. So, are you or your husband Asian by chance?
Me:31 DH: 46
DS: May 9,2016
Excited to be joining the 2 under 2 club!! Due Date November 1st

TrebleLily

Return to General Pregnancy Board