Caribbean at 34/35 weeks!?!

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Caribbean at 34/35 weeks!?!

Postby Laney08 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi Ladies! I'm looking for some advice. Obviously I will go to my doctor with this predicament, but I'd love to hear any opinions or personal experiences that may help me (if the doctor gives the go-ahead).

Over the holidays my father-in-law proposed to his live-in "wife" of about 10 years. They've been together since I've known them and we always consider them basically married, but they wanted to make it official. They informed us they really wanted to have the wedding before the baby is born. Great! ...but they want to do it in St. Thomas. No complaints from me! They own a condo there that we vacation in all the time - it's our second home. So in terms of timeline, we basically said that we KNEW the airlines wouldn't let me fly beyond 36 weeks, but other than that we needed to check with my doctor, and simply said the earlier the better... March/April would be great. They just came back with May 14th. Meaning I'll fly out at 34w5d, and fly home at 35w2d. Not good. Oh - and the wedding itself is on a sailboat. Next they'll tell us we're skydiving afterwards. So my husband took to the internet and has concluded that there's no way I'm going. He sent a note to his dad saying it's unrealistic to think I'll be able to attend, but not to base their plans around us. So there's no way they're going to change it. But I can't make my husband stay home from his father's wedding... so I'll be sitting on the couch all weekend severely upset that I'm not in the Caribbean. That sounds equally terrible. Thoughts? If it were you, would you go?
Laney08
Friend

Re: Caribbean at 34/35 weeks!?!

Postby chocolatecake » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:15 pm

tough choice. if it were me I couldnt go, but this is because Im more at risk for a preterm delivery and it will be my first. Were you a preterm baby, have you had a preterm baby before, or is this your first? (sry. if you have stats on your sig. I cant read those on my phone.)
chocolatecake
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Laney08 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Thanks for responding ChocolateCake!

This is my first. I was not a preterm baby and thus far my pregnancy has been problem-free (I'm one of those obnoxious people who didn't get sick and has enjoyed the experience so far), but I'm only 19 weeks. So much could change. Although my mom was also someone who always had easy pregnancies. One friend suggested booking a fully refundable ticket so I could bail at any moment. She also mentioned the Fetal fibronectin test. Do you know anything about that? Is it crazy to request that test right before we leave, hope it's negative, and then continue on the trip? And cancel if it's positive? Are all of these questions ridiculous and should I resign myself to staying home for the sake of everyone's health and sanity?
Laney08
Friend

Postby Yelibaby » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:09 am

I don't think there's any issue with you flying at 34 weeks. I live in the DR and flew to Miami when I was 32/33. Go for it!
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.

BFP Feb. 15, 2015 - MC at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo)

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

Please be my rainbow baby!!
Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby chocolatecake » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:20 am

I'm not familiar with the test you mentioned, but I did find out from mamabird in august due dates, she has a recent post about traveling to the Caribbean. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention just came out with a travel warning for women late in their pregnancies due to the zika virus. Here is the url to that link so you can read about it. Honestly it sounds like a terrible virus, but it depends on where you are going, and how important going is to you. Everything else sounds good though except the virus.

Zika virus Alert level 2
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/ale ... -caribbean

Chikungunya virus Watch level 1
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/wat ... -caribbean

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/16/3/09-1403_article
chocolatecake
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby MamaBird912 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:53 pm

Are they cruising? Cruise lines won't allow women past 23 weeks.

I'm only going to be 18 weeks when we are scheduled to go but this zika virus has me afraid to. Canceling would suck, but having my baby develop microcephaly would be worse. So even if you're not cruising... It'll be risky.
MamaBird912
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Yelibaby » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:21 pm

I was going to advise just that. With out for Zika virus warnings. I don't think at 34/35 weeks your baby can get microcephaly but you better check with your doctor and avoid if there's any concern. At 18w I wouldn't travel to any place with a Zika virus warning.
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.

BFP Feb. 15, 2015 - MC at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo)

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

Please be my rainbow baby!!
Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MamaBird912 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:16 pm

Is it possible that like rubella and other viruses its likely most dangerous to contract in the first trimester?
MamaBird912
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Laney08 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:55 am

My father-in-law warned us about Zika. Luckily not in St. Thomas... yet. Could very well be by the time this wedding rolls around... guess I just have to keep an eye on if it spreads further north. As if we didn't have enough to worry about, now the best beaches are a no travel zone!?!

Yellibaby - I love your optimism! Maybe I can do this...
Laney08
Friend

Postby MamaBird912 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:55 am

There's time for them to give updates on if it's definitely the cause of microcephaly, and what trimester it is dangerous in. Hopefully there's good news in there for you somewhere..

As for me, I'm more than willing to stay on the boat if need be. We're cruising on a huge ship with shops, restaurants, spa, pools, library, clubs, etc. Mosquitoes should stay on the mainland right? (; I just called my obgyn about it..waiting for a call back.
MamaBird912
Addicted
Addicted

Postby petemil2cb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:25 am

I think cruising to the Caribbean is the best way to get there. Still according to my knowledge cruise lines won't allow women past 23 weeks. If there is any threat of virus then it's good to cancel the travel. Cruising to the Caribbean is always challenging but exciting for the cruise lovers. Some of the sights are awesome opening our mouths. I've been there 2 times, both time it was in a small ship of Blount Small Ship Adventures who provides small ship & cruise adventures and luckily I haven't faced any issue so far, but be careful about the virus.
petemil2cb

Return to General Pregnancy Board