Perioral dermatitis in pregnancy

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Perioral dermatitis in pregnancy

Postby elohcin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:09 am

Before I got pregnant with my 1st daughter (but after my first 2 miscarriages), I started getting VERY rare incidences of perioral dermatitis. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I just developed this red rash-like stuff around my mouth, like a goatee. Ugh. Initially I found I'd get it after eating Italian-type foods like pizzas and garlic bread, etc. But other than that there was no definite trigger. I stopped getting it when not pregnant after I had my 1st daughter.

But I had it off and on (more frequently than before) with my pregnancy with DD1. I stopped using fluoridated toothpaste because I had it almost constantly until I did (and later found out I have a major sensitivity- beyond it just being icky stuff- to fluoride anyway!). But I still dealt with it without understanding how to control it.

With my pregnancy with DD2 I had it as bad, if not worse. Again, I thought I could identify a few foods (mostly italian) that triggered it, but nothing consistent. My gentle lotion that I'd use on my face most days didn't seem to trigger it, either. I also never used any soaps on my face.

With DS1's pregnancy it wasn't QUITE as frequent, and I read that ACV and coconut oil help. They certainly did at times, but I also ran into being able to eat things that I couldn't before and they wouldn't trigger it, and the it would just show up out of the blue sometimes. (I got it once after a meal of unseasoned roast, mashed potatoes, and green beans) And then with DS2, it started reaching clear up to above my eyes (common with POD), so I had the red "goatee" look as well as red "horns." UGH.

This time it's already really bothering me at 12 weeks. I don't use anything on my face but coconut oil (I have to use SOMETHING because we get so dry here), and have tried ACV a few times but it doesn't seem to be working as well. (still no soaps, either) I also only use Earthpaste or homemade toothpaste, no fluoride. And as for triggers?? Well, I am CLUELESS. It is SO random, and sometimes it seems to appear "out of thin air" (like literally from something in the air in certain places). I feel like there is no way I can keep on top of it because of this!!!!

Has anyone else dealt with perioral dermatitis during pregnancy only?
Me (30) DH (33) Married 12 years!
Mama to 4 in arms (ages 10, 8, 6, 3) and 11 in Heaven
Thanking God for a new little one coming our way in 2016!
elohcin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Perioral dermatitis in pregnancy

Postby Hurley1751 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Ahhhhhh yes! I started getting it about 2 months ago and it DOESN'T go away! It's all around my nose and has creeped to my chin in the last couple weeks :( It's so ugly and nothing I do works. So Monday I begged my Dr. for a prescription to get rid of it. He prescribed me Euthrimiacin and I've used it for 1 day and it already seems to be helping. I didn't have to plaster my face with makeup as usual today to hide it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it clearing up. I know it will probably go away after I have this baby but I've got 12 weeks left so I need something between now and then.
Hurley1751

Return to General Pregnancy Board