Deli meat... Listeria...

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Deli meat... Listeria...

Postby ksi0512 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Hey everyone!
All I can think of is eating a cold turkey or roast beef sandwich lol. Like Jimmy John's.

What is everyone's opinion? I'm about 13 weeks. My pregnant best friend eats it weekly. A lot of my friends have. I've avoided it so far... just feel like I'll feel super guilty.

Do you guys eat it, or no? Anyone ever experience negative effects?
Thanks! :)
ksi0512

Re: Deli meat... Listeria...

Postby MamaBird912 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:38 pm

I have eaten it, no problem. Listeria can happen to anyone, it just is more dangerous if you're pregnant. I have never gotten sick from deli meat, especially if it came pre packaged from the store. I think eating it from a place like that COULD be a slightly higher risk as you don't know how long it's been left out etc. I also ate lunchables my last pregnancy, i figure if theyre safe for kids why not me? I say fufill your craving! Just don't eat it all the time, the salt content of deli meats is quite high (:
MamaBird912
Addicted
Addicted

Postby alecita1987 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 pm

I'm currently 22 weeks pregnant and I eat deli meat all the time lol; baby and I are still alive and thriving.
It's important to remember that you're NOT more likely to get any type of infection just because you're pregnant. Your risk is exactly the same as it was before pregnancy, but just like Mamabird said, the problem with getting sick during pregnancy is that it can harm your baby. That being said, store bought deli meat that is stored and handled appropriately shouldn't really cause any major problems. These days it's very rare to hear about somebody getting real sick just because they ate deli meat. You can heat it up in a pan or in the microwave before making yourself a sandwich if you want to be extra safe. Sometimes I do that sometimes I don't. As far as eating it in fast food places, just be aware that the risk of getting some kind of infection increases depending on how those places handle the food, so try to pick a place that looks very clean and such, but still you should be able to enjoy a good sandwich from those places every once in a while.
Me: 29, DH: 28
DS: 14 months old

BFP! 4/21/15 -> :angel: MMC @ 10w (6/6/15)
BFP! 10/1/15 -> DS born 6/9/16. My RAINBOW Baby!
BFP! 6/26/17 -> EDD 3/8/18 :sticky:

Ultrasound on 8/1/17 @ 8w5d :hb: 172 bpm

alecita1987

Postby ksi0512 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:26 pm

I think I'll splurge soon, lol! I have a favorite local sandwich shop and I've been craving it. I do trust them. They slice their meat daily and go through a ton of it.
ksi0512

Postby hannamarin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:12 am

your forum helps me to cope with my pregnancy! http://skywritingservice.com/blog/listeria-important-facts-you-might-dont-know has some info about liseria that may complete your forum!
hannamarin

Return to General Pregnancy Board