Congestion, cold and flu remedies during pregnancy

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Congestion, cold and flu remedies during pregnancy

Postby Mantis » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Hi all

I'm 15 weeks with my first baby (third pregnancy)

Over the weekend (Sunday( I came down with a bad flu like virus, sore throat, cough, headaches, nasal congestion

I used sore throat gargle and the throat has improved but nothing is shaking the congestion. I've tried saline nasal spray, nasal irrigation, copious hot drinks and soups, heat pack applied to nasal area, steam inhalation with menthol and nothing seems to be shaking the thick yellow nasal mucus very quickly at all. I am not sleeping well due to the pain due to the congestion/reduced ability to breathe adequately and dry mouth

Perhaps I just need to wait it out and continue the remedies more often but just wondering if anyone has used any OTC remedies that are considered safe in pregnancy?
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Congestion, cold and flu remedies during pregnancy

Postby elvixen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:28 am

I have just been through the exact same thing!!! So sorry, it's no fun at all! Nothing seemed to help mine either but thank goodness its finally cleared. My last pregnancy, I used the decongestant nasal spray (xylometazoline?) which my midwife said was OK in moderation. Unfortunately (though it worked great) that ended up making my sinusitis worse ("rebound effect" as i possibly used it for too long) so this time, despite being completely miserable and not being able to breathe at night I just toughed it out :( I probably had to blow my nose around 100x a day to even get it slightly clear!! I was like "where the heck does all this mucus COME FROM?" Lol. Hope yours clears up soon.
Me: Elena, 26.
DP: 32
DS: 6 (born 20 Aug 2010)
DD: 1 (born 11 Nov 2014)
#3: Due 2 Oct 2016!

ImageImage
elvixen

Postby Mantis » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:02 am

Thanks El. Still toughing it out as best I can. Did the steam twice yesterday but again has not helped

I am also concerned about rebound congestion because when I don't have a cold I have chronic sinusitis and have chronically narrowed and inflammed nasal passages which makes it more difficult for my sinuses to clear out when I get a cold. I have a docs appointment Monday for a check in so will mention it then if it has not cleared as it may have developed into a secondary bacterial infection which happens often due to my narrow sinuses. I was meant to have surgery to widen and clear out the chronic inflammation in the sinuses but then i got pregnant so just have to deal with it

I also had morning sickness today, twice. Nearly threw up in the grocery store and struggled through and was wretching outside over a rubbish bin. Not the best day all in all
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby HighlandGamesGirlCO » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:24 am

Hi! I would try an anti-inflammatory as well (Acetaminophen) because the congestion is usually due in large part to swelling in the sinuses and mucous membranes. If you can get the swelling down, you are better able to get the mucus out :) I had this my last pregnancy too, it lasted for 2 months! I think maybe it's just another wonderful pregnancy "gift" - so sorry you feel badly! :hugs:
Me (Lindsey) - 38
DH/love of my life - 44

"We are all atheists regarding most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

Fiona Jayne born 12/21/2015 - our solstice baby! 7lb 5.5oz 19.75"

It's a BOY! EDD Feb 16, 2017
Repeat c-section scheduled, Ciaran Reeves will arrive Feb 13, 2017!

HighlandGamesGirlCO
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General Pregnancy Board