Vomiting during the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Vomiting during the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)

Postby Mantis » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:18 am

hey everyone

So I am 23+3 with my first and my little boy is measuring big, 4 days ahead of GA and 98th percentile. I have also gained alot of weight (10kg at last weigh in), and have a family history of diabetes (mother type 2, maternal aunt with GD) so obgyn bought my oral GTT forward to 21 weeks

I had the first test at 21 ish weeks and after about 30 minutes I felt sick and projectile vomited all over the floor in the testing centre. My obgyn wanted me to repeat the test so I did today. I was recommended to only fast 8 hours instead of 10 i had fasted before, sip the drink slower, and have sips of water after- all of which I complied with as i obviously didn't want to repeat the experience. I started to feel sick around 25-30 mins again after drinking the glucose solution and so i laid down in one of the rooms, and i felt a bit better after a while BUT then after another 10 mins (40 mins since drinking the drink) a wave a hotness came over me, i started to shake and felt like the energy had been sucked out of all my muscles and then again I just vomited

Has this happened to anyone here? What did you do? I feel so frustrated as I want to know if I do have GD because of my risk factors and I tried really hard not to vomit. I had some nausea and vomiting but this dissipated around 18 weeks and excluding the OGTT I have not vomited since then. I am dreading that my obgyn will ask for me to do it again and I am thinking I would want to refuse , i mean after all how many times do you repeat the same thing expecting different results? I do not want to put my baby at risk and I have tried really hard to get this test done and i have followed the instructions and complied with the obgyn request to repeat the test.

My friend who does have GD suggested I could borrow her glucose monitor and test my sugars after each meal and see if I have any issues. FYI my fasting bloods which I managed to get done OK were within normal range in the first test.

Anyone have any suggestions about what I should do or ask for from my obgyn?

Many thanks
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Vomiting during the oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)

Postby Serendipity » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Lurking from August group...
I did not vomit during the glucose test but turns out I did have it and basically have to monitor my blood sugars. I regret taking the test and wish I had just bought a glucose monitor instead since that's all they've made me do since diagnosed anyway and I could have saved myself and my baby having to drink that horribly sugary drink. Your ob cannot force you to do the test.. So I think it is a completely reasonable option to monitor your blood sugars at home.
Serendipity
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Nick02 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Mantis- I'm so sorry! That sounds horrible. I have no advise or experience with this but I just saw it and didn't want to not say anything. Do they know why it's making you so sick? Is there an ingredient that your body just doesn't like? I would be concerned that it keeps happening.
Nick02
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Mantis » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:34 pm

Hey Nick

In the end they said there is nothing they can do. If my body won't tolerate the solution they can't do anything

So they are going to do a growth scan at 30 weeks and another one at 37 weeks and if bubs is big at 37 weeks I may be induced at 38 or 39 weeks. So it is probably going to be a November baby now
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby RoloCat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:01 pm

I can't offer any help for vomiting after the GTT problem, but if you think you will likely develop GD, by all means borrow your friends testing kit, get in to see a nutritionist or someone in a diabetes clinic for support, and moderate your diet to help control your sugar.

Unfortunately, I tested positive for GD even though I had no overt signs (I only gained 13lb during my pregnancy, and at 28wks, had only gained 10-12lb). I was slightly heavier than I wanted to be at time of conception, so not sure if that contributed to low weight gain or the development of GD.

Most the recommendations are pretty standard: limit straight sugars (fruit juices, sodas, sugary snacks, deserts etc) and be sure to balance carbs with proteins at every meal. The meal plan I was given to limit carbs looked like this:

Breakfast: 30g carbs 1-2 eggs with 1 slice whole grain toast and 1/2 grapefruit or 3-4 strawberries
snack: 20g carbs 1-2oz cheese or 2TBSP PB with one serving whole grain crackers
Lunch: 30carbs lean meat, veggies and/or fruit, lo-sugar greek yogurt
snack 20g carbs 1 oz almonds and 1 small apple
dinner 45-60g carbs lean meat, veggies, 1 serving pasta/rice or 1/2 baked sweet potato
late snack: 20g carbs. almonds/yogurt/cheese

The guidelines I was given by the diabetes clinic was to take my blood sugar 4x/day: 1st thing in the morning, 2hr after each meal (and prior to the snack). Morning blood sugar should be <95. Sugars 2hr after any meal should be <125 (if measuring at 1hr, should be <140). I managed my GD by modifying my diet alone. No need for meds or insulin, and 2d after baby was born, blood sugar was back to normal.

I will warn you though to not be too drastic. Your body needs carbs to function. It was 3wks after my diagnosis before I could get in to the diabetes clinic, and they just told me at the doctor's to cut carbs. So I took that literally and cut carbs way too drastically. I lost 5lb in a week and starting having contractions at 29wks. So, word of the day is moderation. Eat limited, healthy carbs and balance any larger carb load with lean proteins (nuts, nut butters, cheese, greek yogurt, lean meats, etc) and that will help to keep sugar from spiking. I found that I could eat 1-2 slices of pizza and not have my blood sugar spike, IF I ate a heavy protein item first to balance out the bread carbs. Or bread and a small dessert at dinner if I ate a large steak and lots of greens.

If you get your friends glucose monitor, just get your doc to call in an Rx for the testing strips (you can't just pick those up at the store) and start monitoring on your own. If you see sustained glucose levels >125 after meals, let your doc know...

GL
me: 41yo
DH: 42yo

TTC#1 cycle 3:
6/10/14 CD1
6/29/14 CD20 ovulation
7/7/14 (8dpo) BFP
7/9/14 (10dpo) beta#1 hcg: 34.5 progesterone 20.8
7/11/14 (12dpo) beta#2 hcg 139
7/30/14 early u/s 6w5d HB 121
8/12/14 u/s 8w2d HB 175
9/11/12: It's a BOY!
10/29/14: 19wk ultrasound
11/26/14: 23wk ultrasound
12/23/14: 27wk ultrasound
12/31/14: gestational diabetes. Yuck.

3/6/15: Welcome to the world, Thomas Joseph "TJ" Roland (2 weeks early)
7:56pm
6lb 15oz
18in
RoloCat
Star Member
Star Member

Postby JenniferRussell » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Symptoms of hypoglycemia tend to come on quickly and can vary from person to person. You may have one or more mild-to-moderate symptoms listed in the table below. Sometimes people don’t feel any symptoms.
JenniferRussell

Return to General Pregnancy Board