How soon would you take an infant on a beach vacation?

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

How soon after birth would you take your newborn on a beach vacation?

Within the first 4 weeks of birth
8%
Between 4 and 8 weeks
8%
Not until the baby was 3 months or older
84%

Total votes : 38

How soon would you take an infant on a beach vacation?

Postby BabyToBeNumber2 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Just wondering- DH's family wants to go on vacation to the beach right after I have the baby. Need some advice from real life ladies (not DH's family who must be living in La La Land).

Okay...for this poll beach vacation is in August (so think hot, heat, sandy, etc). ;)
Me (Angela): 30 DH: 31 DD: 4 years old!!
DS: Born April 5, 2011
4 pregnancy losses 2008-2009
www.marygraceholmes.blogspot.com
BabyToBeNumber2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby munchiemom » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:28 pm

I don't have any advice to offer...but I'm in the same situation and would love to hear some answers!

I'm due in April and DH's family always spends a week in a beach house on the coast during the summer (usually late June or early July). We usually go with them...but I'm not so sure about this year. How hard is it going to be to share a house with two other families and my MIL when my baby may not even be sleeping through the night yet? I just can't decide if it's going to be worth the hassle.

MIL keeps telling me that everyone will completely understand and be able to help with the baby...but is that realistic? How is everyone going to feel at 2 in the morning when she's screaming her head off? Blah.

I hope you get some good answers LOL.

- Kelli
WAHM, Homeschool teacher to:
DS - 09/25/97
DS - 02/03/99
DD - 04/06/09

www.psalm105.com
munchiemom
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby countrymomma » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:36 pm

My response is specifically for you, since you also have a 2 year old. I would wait till your baby is a bit older. You are already going to be making the adjustment of 2 kids on vacation instead of 1, and you need to be at your best. At 4 weeks pp you could very well still be healing from the birth. You arent supposed to swim so I wouldnt want to go if I were you.

I would wait till you have a good idea of what to expect with your 2 kids before you plan a major vacation.

That said, if it was a day trip and you went all the time, then go the first 4 weeks.
FORMERLY BABYRABE
Me (34) & DH (39) Married 11/18/2000

SAHM, Homeschooling mommy to:
DD-8
^Noah True^ 12/12/06 m/c 10.5wks
DS-5
DD-4
DD-2
# FIVE!! Due May 31, 2014
countrymomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaurenAshley » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:59 pm

I live in southern california and most people here start taking their babies out to the beach around 4 weeks. But make sure you have LOTS of sunscreen and the baby isnt out in the heat for more than 30 minutes at a time. Also, there are awesome baby tents for the beach. What beach are they looking at? If it was going to be 100° I would pass, but if its 75° that would be AWESOME! It all depends on where and how long you will be outside.
LaurenAshley
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MLF2MLB » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:01 am

I took my DS to the beach when he was 2 months old. But, we went in September, just because we couldn't make it there any other time. I am planning on taking this baby down the sure in late August....

I think you should just use sunscreen and an umbrella. Babies like being warm....
MLF2MLB
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby orrissa » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:48 am

I said 3 months or more...
I personally think with a 2 year old it may be more trouble than it's worth.
Me: Jess 32
DH: 32
DS: 7
DD: 4
DS 2
orrissa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby texxie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:11 am

My best friends took her 19 month daughter, her 8 year old DSD and her 4 week old baby to Florida for 2 weeks. She also had her MIL with her who was very helpful. She said it wasn't like trips in the last where they relaxed and rested a lot. But, it was still better than just being in her own house for 2 weeks. The MIL helped a lot, especially with the older kids and she did get to go out to lunch with her dh and do some shopping occassionally. She said there were stressful times, but it was worth it. She didn't take the baby to the beach much though. And like PP said, when she did, she put him under a tent.
texxie
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Lizc0002 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:17 am

Personally I would never take a 4 week old to the beach, according to what I have read you are not even supposed to use sunscreen on a baby until they are 6 months old. (but I would check with your pediatrician) In my opinion it would be more of a pain than it is worth, plus I would not want all those people around 24 hours a day if I was nursing, too much isolation and a lot of doctors don't want a lot of people around your infants at 4 weeks old, too many germs.
Lizc0002
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mommyslittlemnster » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:13 am

I wouldn't take a baby until they can hold their head up at least. It would just be too much trouble otherwise. Plus they aren't going to be interested in anything when they're so young so there's no point. Wait until they start gaining interest in their environment.
Me: Stephanie 27 DS: Stephen Jr. 11/28/2008
Dylan Danger 6/19/2010 Charlotte and Chelsea 5/24/2012
mommyslittlemnster
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Baby4Staci » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:48 am

i am waiting until my newest is 1 to go on our annual vacation. babies are so hard to juggle on vacation imo.

I was breastfeeding and we went for a week when Mason was about 5 months old and that was hard. I couldnt spend any time on the beach so it was just like being at home. He had to sleep in his pack n play and i had to worry about everyone else making noise and disturbing his routine.

I think if you are up for the challenge then go for it. I know that when my new baby is a month old or less i will probably be spending most of my time indoors or in my back yard with my 2 year old. But you may be braver then I.. good luck!!
Mason Anthony born 1/9/07
Savannah Ray born 5/9/09
Baby4Staci
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lsumommy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:26 pm

hey Angela!!!!!!!!

I have no advice but just want to say I am sooooo glad to see you on this side again. I always try to check up on you!!!!!!! I'm so happy you are in the 2nd tri now! WOOHOO GIRL!
BFP 8/6/06
EDD: April 22

16w1d :hb: 143 its a boy
17w5d NOPE! ITS A GIRL!!!!!

Lillian Grace Born March 23!!!
lsumommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BabyToBeNumber2 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:43 pm

Awww thanks, LSUMommy! That's so sweet of you!

And thanks everyone for your opinions. My baby would be between 3 and 7 weeks old when they are planning on going and it is just wayyyy to early for me to do a vacation at that point...especially on the beach...I feel like I'd just be stuck inside the beach house all day. I just wanted to get some more opinions b/c DH's family thinks we are being unreasonable and selfish for saying we will not be attending that soon after the baby is born.

Baby4staci: I hadn't even thought about how the noise from everyone might keep an infant up- I think I'd be an anxious wreck if we went! I'd either worry the baby was being kept awake, or worry that we were keeping others up in the middle of the night.
Me (Angela): 30 DH: 31 DD: 4 years old!!
DS: Born April 5, 2011
4 pregnancy losses 2008-2009
www.marygraceholmes.blogspot.com
BabyToBeNumber2
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby imdesired » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:46 pm

Angela, I think you're making the right choice by thinking it's too soon.
And fwiw, I think it's *more* selfish to go on a vacation too soon with the baby, than to stay home. To me that isn't selfish at all, as you're putting the baby first and of course the health of you.

We always go on a nice summer vacation and this year decided to skip it, as I'm not going with a baby.

Good luck dealing with them!
Laura -

Twin boys -
Samuel and Elijah
Born May 2, 2012 at 36 weeks 2 days
7.0lbs and 6.15
imdesired
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to General Pregnancy Board