Circumcision... what's your thoughts?? *RE-CALC'ed STATS*

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Are you circumcizing your boy?

Yes, for religious reasons.
4%
Yes because dad is.
27%
Yes, regardless of dad's status
45%
Nope & dad isn't either.
24%

Total votes : 157

Circumcision... what's your thoughts?? *RE-CALC'ed STATS*

Postby SaLT » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Circumcision... what's your thoughts?? I'm having a boy this time & DH & I are back 'n forth about circumcision. I have stats, science, etc. behind me & DH has "just cause" behind his decision... Any ladies having boys & you're on the fence or not about what you'll do?

Please try to use language that doesn't offend one person's decision over the other. TIA!!! ;o)

Edited (Jan 30th):
Found a GREAT article, gals, on the unbiased 2007 circumcision position by the AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians). ;o)

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/clinical/clinicalrecs/circumcision.html

Edited:
OK, I can't add "No, but dad is circ'ed." Ha ha... I thought I was missing one! SHOOT! Just write it in your post. TIA! ;o)

Edited (again):
As of 8pm EST (-5 GMT), Wednesday, Jan 28th...

There's 8 gals who mentioned in their posts that their DH's are circ'ed, but their sons will not/are not circ'ed.

So, that changes the percentages a lil. Also, I gotta check on 4 gals who said they wouldn't circ, but didn't say if their DHs were or not.

Yes, for religious reasons.
4% [ 4 ]
Yes because dad is.
20% [ 18 ]
Yes, regardless of dad's status
49% [ 45 ]
Nope & dad isn't either.
18% [ 17 ]
Nope & dad is circ'ed!
7% [ 8 ]

Total Votes : 92
Last edited by SaLT on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DD, :angel: June 5 '08
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Freckled » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 pm

You left out an option for "No, but dad is circ'ed". That would be my answer. We are not circumcising. My husband is cut but wants his son to be intact. I agree.
BFP 6/23/08
EDD 2/23/08
7/11/08 7w4d :hb: 130 (u/s measuring 6w5d)
8/18/08 13W :hb: 168 (u/s measuring 13w)
9/17/08 17w2d :hb: 146 <b>IT'S a BOY!!!</b>

ImageImage
Freckled
Star Member
Star Member

Postby SaLT » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:42 pm

Lemme see if I can add it! So sorry!

OK, I couldn't add it. What's funny, is that it's kinda what I'm leaning towards as a decision!!! HOW could I forget?! ;o)
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:48 pm

Not a chance this little guy is getting circed. I've stated it to my (anti circ) doc so many times, he thinks I'm paranoid. AND our hospital only has one doc who will even agree to do it, and you have to request in writing,so it's not like it will happen by accident. :lol:
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SaLT » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:58 pm

OMGosh... that's sooooo scary, it happening by accident!! I don't think that'd happen to me either b/c our baby NEVER leaves us. It's a hospital w/ just room-in birthing suites & NO nursery (unless I have to deliver at the Level II hospital, then IDK... I don't like the baby leaving, so it probably won't happen unless there's issues). Who does the circ's? Pediatrician, OB, who? I remember them asking me when I was being checked in & in full blown labor (had the baby two hours later) if we wanted to circ if it was a boy, but I was having a ctx & DH just said, "No." I was soooooooo SURPRISED!!! We had been arguing for WEEKS! Then, when I got preg again w/ our 3rd girl (didn't know it was a girl yet), I said, "So, you're cool w/ no circ.?" And he was like, "No!" So, back to square 1!!! We have not talked about it ONE BIT this pregnancy yet... I dread it!

Here's the deal, before I put all my opinions out there, I wanna hear other ppl's, but I gotta say it... I'm OK w/ a circ. if DH is adamant b/c afterall, he is circ'ed & if his argument is "because I am, we should," I'm OK w/ that. However, if he's like "he just should." That's NOT a good enough reason for me... IMO, that's an uninformed decision! I know the follow-the-other-cattle mentality decision of "because I am" isn't the best, but it's tough to argue w/ when I make A LOT of the girly decisions about our girls b/c I'm a girl, KWIM?? Just like girls getting ears-pierced, a boy can always get circ'ed later if he chooses, but once it's done, it's done! ;o)
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaurenAshley » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:11 pm

My sisters first son wasn't, and when he got to be about 2 months old the skin attached, I dont know how to explain, but he had to have it done for medical reasons. She wanted it done in the first place, but he was a preemie and they wouldn't do it until he was older, and by the time they could there were already problems. There are just SO many benefits in my experience. I wont get into it here because I dont want to start a debate, but I would 100%
LaurenAshley
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SaLT » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Oh, see... I wanna hear why ppl wanna do it 'cause I'm kinda on the fence here. I might end up doing it & I wanna feel good about it. I do not judge ANYONE who'd wanna have it done or not. Just like vaxing, ear-piercing, etc., it's a personal decison that fortunately, in most countries, we are free to make! :)

My uncle also had to have it done medically when my dad & other uncle didn't have it done. Funny thing is, he ended up marrying a Jewish girl & they had boys, whom I'd guess are circ'ed, but I don't know for sure. Just not a topic of family conversation! Ha ha... I only recently found out about my dad & uncles, my mom told me & don't ask me why she knows my uncles are!! Ha ha... No, knowing her, she probably asked my dad or maybe their wives told her. ;o)
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby countrymomma » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:32 pm

We did it for DS for 1-religious reasons, we are not Jewish but I feel that God had the Jewish nation do it for a good reason. 2-Because my DH and, well ever other male I know is (that I have asked) and 3-because my dad had to have it done when he was like 22 years old because of an infection. :omg: I dont know what was worse, knowing he had to have it done at a late age or hearing about it.
FORMERLY BABYRABE
Me (34) & DH (39) Married 11/18/2000

SAHM, Homeschooling mommy to:
DD-8
^Noah True^ 12/12/06 m/c 10.5wks
DS-5
DD-4
DD-2
# FIVE!! Due May 31, 2014
countrymomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Laureenjellybean » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Salt-This is SUCH a topic of debate! I have mixed feeling about circs. Dh and I have discussed this a LOT and his biggest reason for being against it is that his was somewhat botched and he was always embarassed by his "man parts." After I watched my first circ, I was HORRIFIED! It is pretty rough to watch, I'm not going to lie. On the other hand, if you have a good doc, they will have given enough lidocaine and sucrose for your baby to lay there quietly through the whole procedure and never know the difference. The worst part is the lidocaine. If you medicate with tylenol afterwards, the babies really tend to do well.
Many people cite the argument that if they want it, they can get it when they are older. That's an OK argument, but what isn't discussed is that by that time, the penis is much more vascularized. That means that the procedure WILL be more painful (and I'm guessing there is bigger risk of bleeding at that point as well).
I KNOW this is going to sound terrible and uninformed as well, but I really don't want my son to be the odd one out. (I've heard stories about people getting made fun of in the locker room...but honstly, I'm not sure how boys are, but why are they checking out one another's penises??) I guess it depends on the area of he country you live in. In my state 77% of males are circ'ed. In other places, like CA, I think the number goes down to 50%. Perhaps I'd be less inclined to have it done if the percentage was lower.
Lastly, and this is going to sound HORRIBLE again...the only uncirc'ed one I've been near SMELLED really bad...and trust you me, my nose was not even NEAR the thing. I think he just lacked info on man hygiene. Nice guy, smelly penis. I'm assuming that they don't always smell, but there was a bad experience in there.
Me: Laureen (30)
DH: Kenny (30)
Ds:Carter (2) (born Feb. 23, 2009)
DD: Calliana (born Oct 3,2010)
:angel: Feb 08' Baby Angelo-left us to Triploidy
:angel: :angel:-Nov 09' twin blighted ovum
:angel: July 11' early m/c
Laureenjellybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jessica0509 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:37 pm

ok, im going to put it as blunt as i can and hope i dont get stoned.

i personally think a circ'd guy is more attractive and have only been with one guy who wasnt and was totally turned off.

my DF wouldnt even humor me with a conversation about it. he said, yes our son with be cir'd end of discussion.

i hope i didnt offend anyone with my opinion. thats my feelings and i dont expect everyone to agree.
me 34
DH 35
DS1 17
DS2 3 born cinco de mayo 09
DS#3 due May 21!
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
jessica0509
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Stephie702 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:51 pm

my thoughts on it, if this baby is a boy he will be gettin circ'd...

1. because my hubby is very adament about doing it, and anything that means that much and wont hurt the child...well kinda have to think about it!

2. health reasons....this is blunt but....do you really think a 10 yr old is going to clean it liek it needs to be if he is uncirc'd??? i dont really think so...

3. like pp said i really find it unattractive.....and i am sure there are alot mor people who agree.....but dont want to say it...it looks nasty..if it isnt kept cleaned right it stinks.....

4. if we dont do it now and he wants it done later, that is going to be really pain full...i mean think aboout it....a brand ne baby might have a little discomfort, but he isnt going to remember.....

thoes are my thoughts and my opinions
~Steph-
DH, DSD 11, DD 22 months
Lilyana Leeann born 8/27/09 via C-Section 8lbs 3oz, 21inches long!
the love of my life <3
Stephie702
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SaLT » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:52 pm

Yes, if I had to look at one, I'd say a circ'ed one is more "attractive," for lack of better words. IMO, man parts aren't the most attractive thing, in general, that I've seen! Ha ha... I've seen/dealt with :oops: both. Ha ha... No problems for me either way (no smelly-ness... Ha ha...).

PS--One of my girlfriends had a boyfriend that tore his foreskin during intercourse, YIKES!!! He had to go the hospital! Not sure WHY it happened or if that's a normal occurence. I guess I could talk to the Pedi about that to get stats or maybe a Urologist? :dunno:
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Stephie702 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:55 pm

i think boys i general dont get utis as much as women and if it helpped towards prostate cancers i culd understand exps if u had hisotry in your family....

but these are all big what ifs....jst because the kid has his foreskin removed or not removed doesnt really take these risks away...
~Steph-
DH, DSD 11, DD 22 months
the love of my life <3
Stephie702
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Stephie702 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:57 pm

btw i have never heard of penial cancer....lol
~Steph-
DH, DSD 11, DD 22 months
the love of my life <3
Stephie702
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to General Pregnancy Board