Circumcision... what's your thoughts?? *RE-CALC'ed STATS*

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Are you circumcizing your boy?

Yes, for religious reasons.
4%
Yes because dad is.
27%
Yes, regardless of dad's status
45%
Nope & dad isn't either.
24%

Total votes : 157

Postby SaLT » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:18 pm

OK, here's the stats as of this post and I did a tally of the boys who will not/are not circ'ed, but their dads are...

4% [ 4 ]
Yes because dad is.
21% [ 18 ]
53% [ 45 ]
Nope & dad isn't either.
20% [ 17 ]

Total Votes : 84

Now, the new stats:

There's 8 gals who mentioned in their posts that their DH's are circ'ed, but their sons will not/are not circ'ed.

So, that changes the percentages a lil. Also, I gotta check on 4 gals who said they wouldn't circ, but didn't say if their DHs were or not.

4% [ 4 ]
Yes because dad is.
20% [ 18 ]
49% [ 45 ]
Nope & dad isn't either.
18% [ 17 ]
Nope & dad is circ'ed!
7% [ 8 ]

Total Votes : 92
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DD, :angel: June 5 '08
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby michellejune » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:35 pm

What an interesting post and when I have time I will really go through and read each one cuz I completely respect the opinions of both sides.

I never really considered not having DS cir'ed. It did break my heart in the hospital to have it done when he was only a day old but the way I looked at it was it would be must less traumatic to get it done now then later in life he decides he wants it done. You know how squeemish men get about their penis's!

Dylan did end up getting a staph infection a week or so after he was cut and it scared the crap out of me, luckily we caught it quick.

I do plan to do it again with the next and my uneducated reason is simply because Daddy does, DS1 does and we are keeping it consistant.
michellejune
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SlainteMhath » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:46 pm

Neither of my boys are circ'd and no, their father isn't either (being from Scotland, that's pretty much a given). However, I had decided LONG before I ever met DH that my sons would not be circumcised. My mom sorely regrets having my brothers cird'd and took the time to educated me (like, 10 years before I had kids LOL). So I started researching, and then inevitably had experiences with uncirc'd guys are realized that most of what you hear as reasons to circ are myths. I couldn't justify doing something that is without a doubt unnecessary and painful to my newborn. I do respect that parents have a choice in the matter and I have plenty of friends who circ'd their sons. It's all good :wink: . I only tend to get fired up now when I hear the myths flying about from moms who are uneducated on the subject. As much as it pains me to hear people do it because the father is, I'd rather hear someone state that than it's "dirty" not to do it, etc. :)

ETA: Luv2Skydive it's nice to see you back! :D Your "new" son is a cutie!!!
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Luv2Skydive » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:05 pm

Callumsmommy wrote:Neither of my boys are circ'd and no, their father isn't either. However, I had decided LONG before I ever met DH that my sons would not be circumcised. My mom sorely regrets having my brothers cird'd and took the time to educated me (like, 10 years before I had kids LOL). So I started researching, and then inevitably had experiences with uncirc'd guys are realized that most of what you hear as reasons to circ are myths. I couldn't justify doing something that is without a doubt unnecessary and painful to my newborn. I do respect that parents have a choice in the matter and I have plenty of friends who circ'd their sons. It's all good :wink: . I only tend to get fired up now when I hear the myths flying about from moms who are uneducated on the subject. As much as it pains me to hear people do it because the father is, I'd rather hear someone state that than it's "dirty" not to do it, etc. :)
ETA: Luv2Skydive it's nice to see you back! :D Your "new" son is a cutie!!!

ITA with everything you said (I have the same opinion with BF'ing too) and thanks!! :D

I hope Random sees this thread and give her always-eloquent perspective since, by her siggy, I'm assuming her son is intact as well. :wink:
Luv2Skydive
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SaLT » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:13 am

GREAT article, gals on unbiased 2007 circumcision position by the AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians). ;o)

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/clinical/clinicalrecs/circumcision.html
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmas_Mama » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:00 pm

We are not circing our little man. DH is not circ'd either. I was totally going to circ any future sons, just because that is how it was "done" in my narrow experience, but I then met DH, did some research, and decided against it. There is really no benefit and IMO, there are more benefits to being intact than there are to being circumcised. Plus, it's not my penis.
ImageImage
Go to http://www.expectnet.com/game.php and see how close you come!! Game name: babyboyknighten
Emmas_Mama
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SaLT » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:49 am

Emmas_Mama wrote:We are not circing our little man... ...Plus, it's not my penis.

:lol: ITA! And I don't judge those who feel it's their right to make decisions for their children until the children old enough to do so, it's just how *I* feel about it. I feel the same way about ear-piercings, too--let them choose, but like I said, no hard feelings towards parents who make different choices. :) "To each, his own."
Me, 29 & DH, 31
DD, 5 & 3
DS, June 5th '09
Image Image
SaLT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby michellejune » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:15 am

You know this post just proved to me how ingnorant I am. I always thought most men WERE cir'ed and I'm totally shocked to see how absolutely wrong I was!
michellejune
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby meantangent » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:20 am

My husband is circ'd but my son isn't

It is medically unnecessary, the statistics are exaggerated, and it is a painful procedure for babies. Most Dr's DO NOT use any anesthetic at all.

I don't care if babies don't remember it ,I think it is cruel.

In Canada IN the last few years 3 babies have died as a result of circ. I don't care how low the statistics are for fetal death related to the procedure, fact is, someone has to be that statistic and I cant imagine how those parents felt.. I am sure they thought all would be just fine..

2 bled to death and one died of an infection related to the procedure.

One Province almost banned the procedure because of two deaths related to the procedure. There has been studies shown that a baby actually can reach severe cardiac stress during the procedure. When someone tells you " They just don't' like being held down, think twice. Can you imagine the pain??

Circ rates in Canada overall are 14 % for circ. IN the Town I live the rate is less then 20 % of baby boys will be circ. Usually most decide to do it for religious reasons, and others do it for social reasons or because Dad is. But to each their own.

These stats are what our pediatrician has told us. He is neither here nor there, and it is up to us. He simply charges 160 dollars to do it. If you wait till after 6 wks they charge up to 800 dollars to do it. Because it is not a medical necessity it is considered cosmetic surgery.

My DH worried at first, that our son would be the odd man out when older but when we asked around about it, we actually only know one couple who circ'd their son. No one else has despite Dads circ.

Like I said to each their own and if you get it done it is your choice, your child.. your decision..

This is just my 2 cents

Danah
Mommy to 3 beautiful girls and one rambunctious boy!

Tanner kenneth ^i^ Born into Gods arms
04/25/2004 I miss my son so much..
meantangent
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Luv2Skydive » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 pm

michellejune wrote:You know this post just proved to me how ingnorant I am. I always thought most men WERE cir'ed and I'm totally shocked to see how absolutely wrong I was!

If you're in America, I think we've all been there! I didn't know before my first I even had a choice to leave him intact....luckily my hospital forced me to make the right choice for our sons because they banned the procedure since before my oldest was born and he's 13. :)
Luv2Skydive
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sayla » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:27 pm

SaLT wrote:GREAT article, gals on unbiased 2007 circumcision position by the AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians). ;o)

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/clinical/clinicalrecs/circumcision.html

What a great article!! It was so nice to read something that didn't have 'an agenda', KWIM? Definitely bookmarked that one!
Sonia (25) and Jamie (26)

Welcome James Dawson, born April 14, 2009
10 lbs, 22"
ImageImage

Sayla
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Megreg » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:11 pm

My DS is circ'd and if we were having another, he would most certainly be circ'd as well. DH is also circ'd.. And, All of the Pediatricians (8 of them) in our practice did circumcisions, as well as the OB's. Our Insurance also covered it 100%.

The % of circ. vs uncirc. varies in different parts of the country (US). It's not an umbrella % overall. Cleary CA has a low circ rate while other rea's have a high circ rate. I agree that this specific 'topic' is very cultural as some religions require it, some countries perform it while other's never have.

IMO, It's a matter of personal opinion and personal comfort level that you choose as a parent, what's in the best interst of your child.
It's a Healthy GIRL!!! CVS Normal!
:hb: 166 @ 11w2d
:hb: 161 @ 8W2D
:hb: 142 @ 6w5d
:hb: 124 @ 6w1d
ImageImage
ImageImage
Megreg
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Belldandy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:26 am

I probably won't be circing if I have a boy. It seemed very unnecessary to me. My husband isn't, and he doesn't smell, and my male cousins aren't either. One of my cousins had to be circumcised at 24 when a girlfriend scratched open his foreskin, and he said he misses it. Not to be graphic, but I also think it feels better, if YKWIM. :oops:

My husband and cousins were taught proper hygiene all their lives, and that is key, I think. DH has never had an infection. I think that if someone is going to be grungy, they will be grungy. It's a lifestyle lol...besides, the vagina is the same way...if you don't keep it clean, it WILL smell. If we came across a women with a smelly vag, we wouldn't think, "oh it's because she didn't have her genitals altered...". We would think she just had crappy hygiene.

As far as looks go, they all look pretty similar when they're aroused.
Belldandy
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Nikkijames » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:47 am

We will not be circing our son, although dh is circ'd.....
Melissa, DH, Hunter 12 Julianna 11, Harley 5, Dylan 4, and Piper 2.
Due 9/14/2015 with our last addition

Nikkijames
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby HappyCianci » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:23 am

We don't know the gender yet, but if it's a boy, I feel very strongly about not circumcising. DP is circumcised and we haven't discussed the issue yet, but I feel confident he will agree with me, if not right away then by the time I give birth. I just don't feel like the choice to circumcise should be our decision to make!

I practically have nightmares about the hospital automatically circumcising our boy without checking our paperwork. Yikes.
Me: 31 Copilot: 37
DS Darwin: 3/25/11
Expecting #2 in October... it's a girl! :babyg:
We are an extended-breastfeeding, baby-wearing, sleep-sharing, real-food family.
HappyCianci
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

PreviousNext

Return to General Pregnancy Board