I never knew picking a name would be so difficult.

What are you going to name your baby? Discuss your favorite baby names here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

I never knew picking a name would be so difficult.

Postby smb041 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:47 am

About a week after DH and I found out we are expecting we began the battle to pick out names. So far each time it ends in argument and I don't know how to get us to come to an agreement. I'm now 15 weeks and I know we're about to find out what our little peanut is in a few weeks. For a boy he wants to continue the tradition in his family where all the first born boys have the same first name as their dad and we choose a different middle name. I really don't want do that. I want something different and unique. Same with a girl. He wants something old fashioned but in this day and age girls always have pretty and unique names. I just hope we can come to a conclusion :/
smb041

Re: I never knew picking a name would be so difficult.

Postby ladybugdaydreams » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:16 am

Battling tradition is hard. Maybe you can compromise in one of two ways on the boy name: First, you can use his tradition (giving the baby his first name and a different middle name) but then call the baby by his middle name. So technically and legally, he has his dad's name, but you eliminate any confusion caused by using the same name. Or, you could switch it up and give your son (if it is a boy) his dad's name as his middle name. That way you're not totally breaking tradition, but your baby has his own name.

As for the girl problem, maybe you should suggest something like "I'll pick the first name, you pick the middle" if you really can't agree.

DS 1 age 11
DS 2 age 8
DS 3 age 2 1/2
expecting #4 November 2015

ladybugdaydreams

Re: I never knew picking a name would be so difficult.

Postby Mantis » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:12 am

I think re: girl names you can have both old fashioned and pretty. Some of the more old fashioned names are prettier than some of the newer girls names around
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Baby Names