got boys name picked and as well as a delema ?????help

What are you going to name your baby? Discuss your favorite baby names here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

should a baby have a middle name?

yes
63%
no
7%
doesnt matter... either way
30%

Total votes : 27

got boys name picked and as well as a delema ?????help

Postby leigh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:07 am

welll for a boy me and dh decided on Ethyn.. but no ides for a girl yet .. and the delema is .. DH doesnt want middle names in the babys name he thinks its pointless to have names that are not used.. i personally think the baby should.. is this normal to not have a middle name?
leigh
Angel
Angel

Postby kika » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:20 am

I dont think it really matters if a child has a middle name or not, i have gone for 2 middle names though one from my father and one from my grand father, i prefer to give a middle name or 2, lol, i wonder if you suggest to your DH about giving the baby (if boy) his name as a middle name would there be a change in opinion? just a thought.

ImageImageImage
" width="0" height="0" alt="User avatar" />
kika
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby leigh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:22 am

no i have suggested that to him . he just truely doesnt see a point in haveing middle names
leigh
Angel
Angel

Postby SlainteMhath » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:46 am

I think it's good to have one simply for the fact that they might not like their first name later in life. It's nice to have another name to go by. I actually think it's odd not to have one, but I don't think there is anything wrong with it either way. My mom was never given one and now uses her maiden name as a middle name.
[ImageImageImage
SlainteMhath
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Danika » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:34 am

in my opinion i think that they should have a middle name. as pp suggested whether or not because they would want to go by their middle name or because of identity reasons. i personally when signing checks and important documents include my middle initial. i don't know how everyone else is lol but to me i find it important.
Image Image
Danika
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby astrila » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:30 pm

I guess I'm the first one to vote no, lol. I think middle names should be something the person chooses themselves later. You have your family name, and then your parents give you a name, and then later in life, you can also choose a name for yourself. It doesn't make sense for parents to choose multiple names for their child. Before I got married, I didn't have a middle name. After I got married, I took my maiden name as my middle name to keep a connection to my family while still taking DH's last name. My DH was given a middle name at birth, but once he got into college he changed it and got rid of the middle name since he didn't like and he thought his parents didn't have the right to give him more than one name.

We're not planning to give our kids middle names. I think when they're older, they can choose a middle name for themselves if they have a special name or connection that they'd like. We also believe in giving children original names, so their names will already be different from anyone else in their class at school, or different from other people later, for the identity theft issue.
astrila
Angel
Angel

Postby Cally » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:59 pm

I dont think it really matters one way or the other it just personal choice. Most people you meet in life dont know whether or not you have a middle name. My ds and dd2 have middle names but dd1 doesnt. We intended calling her Saoirse Teresa after mil but when we registered her we totally forgot and only registered her as Saoirse oops I think I was in such a panic at having at 2 kids under 15 mths I didnt know what was going on
Me-34
DS-Fionn 13
DD1-Saoirse 11
DD2- Órlaith 5

ImageImage
Cally
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby FST » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:33 pm

i think a middle name is only needed if you pick a very common name like david, jennifer, etc. my dad doesn't have a middle name; his 1st name is bruce.
FST
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to Baby Names