counting calories??

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

counting calories??

Postby BreeAndJoe081415 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:04 pm

Seeing a lot of conflicting information on how to eat. Some say no changes in first trimester. Some say 300 more calories than a normal maintenance diet. I strictly count calories, try to stay under 1400/day. I also do cardio and lift weights, and plan to continue that for sure. So what do you ladies think?.I've tried some online pregnancy calorie calculators, but they are ranging from 1800-2800! I obviously want a healthy baby, but I'm very conscious of my own health, and being overweight won't be good for the little bean either
TTC #1 since May 2015. Endometriosis. Chemical Pregnancy Dec 2015. Ectopic with rupture and loss of right tube May 2016. 3 failed clomid cycles. Suprise BFP May 2017 :)
BreeAndJoe081415
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: counting calories??

Postby elohcin » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:49 am

I count mine. For me it helps me keep track of my nutrient intake and manage my weight (which isn't a huge deal in pregnancy, as we WILL gain, but I gain a LOT each time and so I just want to keep it in check and not gain more than I need to...which is already like 40-50lbs based on my last 4 babies!). I do add the typical 300 (and more if I am still nursing during the pregnancy), and I'm around 1850 for my calorie goals, which is sufficient for my body. Since you have become familiar with your needs you likely know what you can/cannot do, so that's definitely different than just some random woman choosing a number just based soley on that number. Some women DON'T need as many extra calories...some need more. So you definitely have an advantage with already knowing your body and your metabolism! Just be prepared to adjust if needed. Even despite my bodies ability to pack on 1/3 of another me during pregnancy, if I plateau for too long, I know that I need more. I also found my "perfect" intake/exercise amount when not pregnant, which is NOT the exact average recommended for me (I tend to need more to maintain/lose, and gain if I get too little, but also gain if I get just over more than my "perfect" amount) so I was able to adjust my calories for pregnancy based on that, not a textbook number (because I'm not a textbook body, neither is anyone else).
Me (30) DH (33) Married 12 years!
Mama to 4 in arms (ages 10, 8, 6, 3) and 11 in Heaven
Thanking God for a new little one coming our way in 2016!
elohcin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BreeAndJoe081415 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:52 am

Thanks! Hubby says, "just eat when you're hungry, woman !" Lol, I just know it's hard for me to lose, and I've worked very hard to maintain... I know I could easily go overboard cu who doesn't love food!! I think I'll go for my maintenance of 1600-1700 for a week or so and see how I feel.
TTC #1 since May 2015. Endometriosis. Chemical Pregnancy Dec 2015. Ectopic with rupture and loss of right tube May 2016. 3 failed clomid cycles. Suprise BFP May 2017 :)
BreeAndJoe081415
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby MariaCarroll » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Having a proper diet is very important. When my sister delivered a baby, she faced cellulite which resulted in fat accumulation on her body. Someone suggested her about appareil cellulite. And I must say that you are going very good. It is very necessary to take calorie under 1400/day.
MariaCarroll
Friend

Postby erin860 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:36 am

I know this is an old post but for anyone reading it still I have to comment. Your body is going to gain what it needs to gain. And I don't want to offend the pp but 1400 calories isn't enough. When I got pregnant with baby number 1 I was probably 15 pounds underweight. I didn't change my diet but still gained 10 pounds by the time I was 8 weeks. By 20 weeks I had gained 20 pounds. Looking back on it, it was like everything I ate my body hung onto because I was underweight. I started my second pregnancy having never lost the last 10 pounds from my first pregnancy. My point is, don't be too stressed. I gained 35 pounds with my first pregnancy and honestly never really ate more than usually (and didn't ever have a pregnancy craving and eat a whole pie or anything like that). Your body will gain the weight it needs but during pregnancy (and just after) isn't the time to be dramatically counting calories.
erin860

Return to First Trimester