Beta troubles *update 14 DPO*

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Beta troubles *update 14 DPO*

Postby Emmo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:31 am

I got a BFP yesterday at 10 DPO and went in the same day to have my beta done... it was 14.

The nurse called today and said it might be a chemical b/c that is really low. I tried to explain to her that I'm only 10 DPO so I expected it to be low. She said "Well, when was your last period?" I told her that my last period was on like Feb 5 but I have long cycles and didn't ovulate until 10 days ago. But she still seemed skeptical, like I didn't really know what I was talking about. She wants me to come in on Monday to do another beta. Should I be worried? I wouldn't have called for a beta yet (b/c I knew it wouldn't be high yet), but I've had spotting... and with my last pregnancy I had borderline progesterone and needed to take cream for it. She said my progesterone was 9 and they would like to see it a bit higher (just like my last pregnancy), but they didn't want to do anything about it until they got some higher beta numbers.

I'm trying not to worry here b/c the 14 makes sense IMO, but when someone talks to you like that, I can't help it. Plus, what do I do about the progesterone in the meantime?? I have leftover crinone from my last pregnancy, although I think it expired in december. Should I use it while I wait for monday??

My pee sticks ARE getting darker... (the bottom is 11 DPO)
Last edited by Emmo on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 am

I wouldn't worry. You know your body and your cycles, and frankly this nurse doesn't. They work under the assumption that everyone has 28 day cycles and that women can't possibly know what day they have ovulated. it's total rubbish!

Your beta for 10DPO was totally normal if you ask me. My beta on 12DPO was only 20.3, I have a healthy baby cooking, so I'd say you're doing fine.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear about your wonderfully doubling beta!
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Beckster » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:55 am

They should really know that not every cycle is the "average" cycle. I lied to my doctor and said the first day of my last period was 14 days before I O'd to keep it simple.
:angel: November 1, 2010 at 11w 1d

Bruce's Website
Beckster
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby cordy79 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:57 am

Couldn't agree more with the above hun. I do wish such 'professionals' would think about how they speak to people, it's enough to make people sick with worry sometimes when in all fairness YOU know your own body. Chin up and wait til monday x
Kyle James finally arrived 26/06/2011 6 lbs 3oz by emergency C section. xx
cordy79
Star Member
Star Member

Postby JADE0199 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:40 am

Emmo - congrats on your pregnancy! I think your beta for 10dpo is pretty good, its still so early yet. I have to agree with Lara, its ridiculous that nurses assume that everyone has a typical 28 day cycle when that is not the case at all. It sounds like you know your body and you know your cycle, try not to pay too much attention to the ignorance of the nurse. :?

As far as the progesterone goes, I forget what # they would like to see on a natural cycle? I think its anything over 12, so you are just under that but at 9 I wouldn't be too overly worried. I don't want to give you medical advice regarding the Crinone since I'm not a doctor but I don't think it would have any negative side effects even though it expired in December. I've used progesterone in oil that expired and it was fine. At the time the A.R.T. nurse told me that there was no actual "shelf-life" for progesterone. However, if your 2nd beta looks really good as in doubling time, I would insist on getting a new script for progesterone.

Hang in there...I know its tough going through beta-hell and waiting. :hugs: Sending you :sticky: and :praying: for a sticky-bean.
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kiwimama022789 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:51 am

Well I agree with PPs that professionals don't really understand I want to see them go through the TWW so they will actually understand, or even have a documentary of people going through it so they can watch it, for proof that not everyone is a statistic! Anyways I think it would be better to at least try the cream you had from your last pregnancy only because it is better than nothing and if it does not work there should not be any side effects but trying that is better than nothing.
Me - Krista Marie(20)
DH - Tom Lynn(22)
DD - Trinity Kaylyn(4) 7/30/07
DS1 - Blaze Lee(2) 1/27/09
DS2 - Ezra Cole - M/C 8/15/10
DS3 - Durzo Elrich - (NB) 8/25/11

kiwimama022789
Angel
Angel

Postby Emmo » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:20 pm

K, I used the expired cream today. Hoping it makes the spotting go away.

I was feeling worried so I called them again after hours and got the on call nurse. She said she thinks the nurse should have prescribed me progesterone anyway and that she would have done it for me, but by this time it was after hours, she said she is not able to prescribe me anything until monday (of course). She told me not to worry too much, that shes seen lower progesterone turn out fine. :?

All I know is- last time I started taking it, the spotting went right away, so it obviously is related. :?

Thank God I have the leftovers to help me hang on until monday

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:15 am

Well, my 14 DPO beta was 203!! Yikes. I don't think that's a chemical...

Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby LaraE » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:25 am

WOW!! Great numbers!
Lara (42) + Chris (30)
LaraE