Did Your Baby Start Out w/a Low Heart Beat?

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Did Your Baby Start Out w/a Low Heart Beat?

Postby danni_stone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Ladies,

I won't go into details about my situation too much to try and keep this short as possible. Did any of your babies start out with low heartbeats early on and you went on to have a healthy pregnancy?

I ask because yesterday at my 2nd u/s I measured at about 6 weeks give or take 2-3 days and I don't know when I O'd so I'm really not sure how far along I am. The nurse said that everything was progressing nicely in that respect, however, the baby's heartbeat was only 80bpm. I've read tons of articles online and read a lot of forums and all I can seem to find is negative outcomes for my particular situation. It's not that I don't want to hear that I may very well miscarry, but I guess I was looking to hear some more positive outcomes too. If I just turned 6 weeks then perhaps it's just really early and the heartbeat will be normal or at least higher at my next u/s.

My doctor wasn't too positive either. So while I'm trying my best to not get all depressed, I can't help in the back of my mind thinking that come next monday my baby's heart will have stopped :(

Thank you in advance for your replies, and just for reading even if you don't. :)
danni_stone
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby woohoomichelle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:01 am

danni-
read your post and didnt want to just lurk..
I have to be honest, I think that is low. Not to say that you cant have a perfect baby, and I am not the most knowledgeable person. I just want to be honest because thats what I have needed and wanted so many times when I post. My first ultra sound was at 6weeks5days and my baby's heart rate was 107. That scared me. My sister is in nursing school and they said they would like to see it at least 100 at 6weeks, so I too, was on the low side of normal.

Are you having pregnancy symptoms? If so, that is a great sign. On the otherhand, if not, dont be too concerned cause I havent had symptoms the whole time.

Lots of luck sweetheart! Keep us posted!
I hope I didnt upset you, just want to be honest.
Michelle
woohoomichelle
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby woohoomichelle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 am

Danni
Just read online where 90 could be normal. So maybe you are not that far off. The next ultra sound will tell you so much. At my 2nd u/s at 8weeks my heart rate went up to 174...

Best of luck and God's blessings!!
michelle
woohoomichelle
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby flygirl44 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:12 am

My RE doesn't even measure the heartbeat until 7 weeks. They just LOOK for the heartbeat at 6 week but wait until 7 to actually measure the beats per minute.

The reason being is that at 6 weeks, you could be 6w4d or you could actually be 5w3 days- kwim? Sometimes measuring that early just causes unneeded stress to the moms. I would try not to worry (easier said than done) until your next appointment. If the heartbeat is still low, then it would be cause for concern.

GL! :)
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby woohoomichelle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:23 am

thats a great point...if you were actually earlier then thought or even measured, you may have a lower heart rate...so no worries...see what next appt brings!
woohoomichelle
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby danni_stone » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks girls! Yeah, the nurse said I measured at about 6 weeks give or take 2-3 days, so I could've been in my fifth week. I could kick myself for not tracking O this cycle darnit! The last couple times I went in I keep getting earlier it seems. I think I've gotten over some of the initial stress and worrying. I'm still peeing a lot and the bbs still ache, getting nauseous though my fatigue has laid off a bit. Even the spotting I was experiencing for almost a week as tapered off too (I was told that there was a little pocket of blood probably from implantation outside of the sac - so my office wasn't alarmed).

I hope you are right that maybe it's just early. I wish I could be more happy that there was a heartbeat to begin with! I've read a lot about pregnancy but it was news to me about the heartbeat so I think that's why I took it so hard. It just seemed so crazy after all of the positive news I'd been getting. My HCG numbers were always way above what they were expecting and whatnot.

Thanks again!
danni_stone
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby beeeedeeee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:55 pm

At my first u/s they said that the heart starts beating at around 80 bpm, and climbs from there. Since the heart starts beating right around week 6, I wouldn't start freaking out just yet. Good luck to you, and keep us posted!
Me: Beth 33, DH:30, DD: 5 months-22 dpo: hcg 5480 u/s showed ? gestational sac 24 dpo: hcg 6733 25 dpo: hcg 7993 u/s showed tiny fetal pole 27 dpo: hcg 10656 u/s showed HB 120 7 wks 5 days: HB 164 16 wks: u/s It's a girl!
4/22/11: Happy Birthday Catherine

beeeedeeee
Angel
Angel

Postby lylotte » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:42 pm

here were my US heartbeat results for this pregnancy:
5w5d - 90 and 'undetected'
6w5d - 121 and 120 bpm
7w6d - 167 and 171 bpm
10w6d - 167 and 166 bpm

I know my exact 'o' because it was IVF. If you are slightly unsure and the baby was measuring possibly into the 5th week rather the 6th week there is a chance that it's totally fine. When are you scheduled to go back in? As you can see a few days make a huge difference. I think once you do or do not see progress then you can better prepare yourself for the reality of the situation. Until then, hang in there!!! We've all got our FX for you!

lylotte
Friend

Return to First Trimester