Those of you with toddlers.....

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Those of you with toddlers.....

Postby INM80 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:07 am

my DS will be 3 soon and he likes to lay on my stomach and jump all over me and sometimes elbows and knees dig in to my stomach area.
What do you do about this?

Also, he still wants me to carry him and I have to lift him in and out of car seat, high chairs at restaurants, etc. So, what have you been doing for this?

TIA
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker

DS- Vincent May 18 2008
#2- EDD Dec 6 2011
INM80
Star Member
Star Member

Postby kiwimama022789 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:56 am

Don't worry it doesn't really affect anything. I have 2 toddlers and they have done more than jump on my tummy, and for it to cause miscarriage it would have to be extremely powerful and painful. Unless they can do a piledriver and weigh 100lbs I wouldn't worry (even though I know that not worrying is close to impossible).
Me - Krista Marie(20)
DH - Tom Lynn(22)
DD - Trinity Kaylyn(4) 7/30/07
DS1 - Blaze Lee(2) 1/27/09
DS2 - Ezra Cole - M/C 8/15/10
DS3 - Durzo Elrich - (NB) 8/25/11

kiwimama022789
Angel
Angel

Postby JADE0199 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy! :D

Well, when I was pregnant with my daughter my boys weren't even 2 yo yet. 8O And honestly, I was very protective of my belly and the baby. When I started showing is when I didn't let them lay on my belly or put too much pressure on it. I didn't carry them around very much either and I know they noticed but it was a temporary situation so that helped me get through it bc it hurt me inside when I didn't pick them up as much as I used to and carry them. I still occasionally lifted them up, like into car seats and high chairs and stuff, all the way til the end of the pregnancy. I had my baby girl at 38w6d and the pregnancy was smooth and uneventful. I think we were probably over cautious though, we went through A.LOT. to conceive our children and went through many miscarriages to have them, so we were a bit overly protective I think.

HOpefully since your DS will be 3 soon, maybe he won't want to be carried around so much. Or you can explain to him that he will be having a little brother or sister soon and that its in your belly so you can't carry him too much? I don't think my boys younger than 2yo grasped that concept but your son at almost 3 probably will.

I am also very fortunate in that I had help with my twin boys while I was pregnant. Honestly, I don't think I would have survived without any help.

:hh9:
Cathy 43~DH 41
3 m/c's
IVF#1 5/07-BFN • DE IVF#2 -no tx
DE IVF#3. ID twin boys born 9/25/08
FET#1 9/09-chem • FET#2 11/09-BFN
IVF#4 w/DE. DD born 11/3/10
FET#3 b/g twins born 7/25/12
FET#4 ITS A BOY! born 5/8/14

JADE0199
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NYsBelle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:41 pm

DD is about a year and a half. I already won't let her bounce or jump on my stomach. I also don't let her hit or kick my stomach (like she sometimes likes to do during diaper changes). I do lift her up, carry her, etc.
Me (Kiersten)- 32; DH (Ross)- 38
Audrey Therese :babyg: 11/06/09 :babyg: 7lbs14.5oz :babyg: breech, c-section at 39w1d
Justin Anthony :babyb: 10/18/11 :babyb: 9lb2oz :babyb: Natural VBAC at 40w2d
Evelyn Marirose :babyg: 5/16/13 :babyg: 6lb 9oz :babyg: Natural VBAC at 40w1d
NYsBelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Earthmomma » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:13 pm

I am elbowed,climbed on,trampled, kicked etc in my stomach ALL DAY.. right now it doesn't really bother me(its not real rough though) but i will change my tune the farther along i get... there isn't much you can do honestly..

I try telling DS mommy has a baby in her belly and he needs to be gentle and he will...till he forgets LOL..

I know the baby is so cushioned in there especially till like 4 months or so....around 4 months the baby is just making it out of the pelvic region and into the actual stomach so you've got at least 8-12 more weeks before you really have to worry.
ME:23 :love: DH:26 Married 5 years
DS- 3 Years
DD-3 Months
Non CIO,Non-Vax,Homeopathic/Natural Healing,ERF,Gentle Disciplining Mama.
Earthmomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby krakenem » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:35 pm

my 3 year old foster daughter kicked me in the gut just the other day,, in a fit of rage! she also generally thinks Im a trampoline. I dont think it causes any harm. you could ask you son to be gentle with your tummy.
Emily 35
Surprise BFP 3-24!

EDD november 15th 2011
ultrasound 4-1-2011 measuring 7w3d
:hb: 164
ultrasound 4-8-2011 measuring 8w4d

Image [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
krakenem
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MomTo2Boys » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:18 am

my toddler loves to wrestle with me by jumping on my belly, and my 8 month old loves to jump and kick when I'm holding him. My poor baby is going to be born with bruises. haha. jk

I just keep telling my toddler that mommy has a baby in her tummy, and we want to be nice to the baby. I'm not too concerned about hurting the baby, but sometimes it does hurt me.
~*Melissa*~
DS1 05.07.09 - born at 34w 4d
DS2 07.26.10 - born at 35w 2d
DS3 11.01.11 - born at 36w 5d

ImageImageImage
MomTo2Boys
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kizziedee » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Hello everyone :) I suffered from bad spd (symphasus pubis disfunction) with my first baby and was on crutches for my last trimester! Thankfully I didn't have a toddler to run/hobble after! But since trying to concieve no. 2 I've been encouraging my toddler to climb into chairs herself, climb the stairs etc and now that I'm pregnant (yay) it's a bit easier as she's been used to me saying no to me picking her up all of the time. I feel bad about it but I figure I'd rather be able to walk and be active throughout my pregnancy by taking steps to be extra careful now. I'm making sure I have lots of cuddles on chairs and will walk up the stairs with her so she doesn't feel bad.

For those who have strong hips and backs I think carrying toddlers about is the norm- most of my mummy friends carry their kids sporting big bumps all of the time!

For those who need to be careful like me try and get help when you can. My friend who also had spd would take a small step around with her in the car or pram (u can get ones that fold up) it made it easier for her toddler to get into chairs/wash their hands/get into carseats etc :)

Congrats everyone! I'm hoping for a pain and crutch free pregnancy!!
Kizziedee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fuel1316 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:34 pm

i just read about one lady who was doing belly flops on the trampoline until she was 7 months! 8O and then only stopped because it hurt her boobs!!

they are all pretty darn safe in there. my daughter is very relaxed so ive not really had this issue.. but i do know they are quite protected. also lifting is fine. as long as it doesnt strain you or pull a muscle or hurt to lift you can. i helped hubby carry a couch out to the curb last week.

i think the rule of thumb is.. if you did it easily before pg. being pg shouldnt stop you. in all aspects of physical activity (although i would probably not suggest belly flops :\ LOL )
Chris & Elisa Married October 5th 2007

fuel1316
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to First Trimester