Best Prenatal Vitamins?

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Best Prenatal Vitamins?

Postby fww_is_over » Thu May 30, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi All,

I just received my BFT yesterday, posted my story under BFP stories, "The Four Week Wait (FWW) Is Over!" and now I am obsessing over buying the best prenatal vitamin. From what I've googled (I have a serious addiction to this ;) whole food vitamins seem to be 100% better than synthetic. Anyone found any good brands they like or would recommend?
fww_is_over
Friend

Re: Best Prenatal Vitamins?

Postby Alberta_born » Thu May 30, 2013 2:55 pm

As long as it has 1000 mcg of folic acid I think anyone you choose is fine :)
Lori
dh~Keith

Our Little Emmett
Alberta_born
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby mexicanchick718 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:26 pm

I have been taking Natures Made. It meets the pregnancy association requirements.
Me: 26 DH: 28
BFP#1 5/28/2013
:angel: @ 9 wks on 7/11/2013
BFP#2 9/23/2013

ImageImage
mexicanchick718
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fww_is_over » Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 pm

1000 mcg of folic acid? I have read that you need 400 mcg per day. The multi I'm taking now has 800 mcg so I should be ok anyway but I'll ask my Dr. At my first appointment next week.
fww_is_over
Friend

Postby Txjess4 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Congrats on your BFP :)

I did a lot of research on this as well, and spoke with my midwife prior to making a decision and she recommended a whole food vitamin that used FOLATE (folic acid in its most natural form). Not a lot of OTC brands on the market use folate but you can did some great ones at stores like whole foods if you have one in your area. We ended up getting Garden of Life Vitamin Code raw prenatals...found them on amazon for a great price (180 ct--will last you two months). Never suffered from constipation or indigestion since I started them, good luck!

Second Little one EDD: 7/13/16
Txjess4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Txjess4 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:04 pm

Congrats on your BFP :)

I did a lot of research on this as well, and spoke with my midwife prior to making a decision and she recommended a whole food vitamin that used FOLATE (folic acid in its most natural form). Not a lot of OTC brands on the market use folate but you can did some great ones at stores like whole foods if you have one in your area. We ended up getting Garden of Life Vitamin Code raw prenatals...found them on amazon for a great price (180 ct--will last you two months). Never suffered from constipation or indigestion since I started them, good luck!

Txjess4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fww_is_over » Fri May 31, 2013 9:55 am

I am currently taking the Garden of Life Vitamin Code raw multivitamin for women and was going to get the prenatal version until I read that it had ginger in it. I've read some information that indicates ginger may cause miscarriage and/or interfere with female sex hormones so even though it doesn't seem to have much in it I am paranoid :) Good to hear it's working for you maybe I will give it a chance!
fww_is_over
Friend

Postby Alberta_born » Fri May 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Sorry, I should clarify. I take 1000mcg because spina bifida is in my family. :) I thought all women take 1000 but my friend just corrected me, so I asked my doc's nurse and that's what she told me.
Lori
dh~Keith

Our Little Emmett
Alberta_born
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Txjess4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I think the ginger is a very minimal amount to help with any morni sickness. I've never heard it being contraindicated during pregnancy, actually my midwife suggested it for morning sickness :) but def do what you're most comfortable with! Good luck in your search!

Txjess4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BPicton1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:31 pm

I use natures bounty, your life multi prenatals with omega 3s. My midwife said they were almost as good as the ones she prescribed me. they were just off 200 mius of folic acid, but you can get folic acid in the vitamin aisle too. (She has me on 3 mg + 800 mius in my prenatal) whatever the body doesnt use, goes into your pee.
BPicton1

Postby bazil323 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:07 am

The ones made from whole foods rather than mineral sources are better because they have the forms of vitamins that are easier for your body to absorb. Look for ones that have folate instead of folic acid (same thing but easier to digest/absorb; some use a combination which is better than just folic acid alone) and at least 800 mcg of it. Vitamin D is important as well (especially to take with calcium because it helps you absorb the calcium), and most will not have enough. I take an extra separate vitamin D in order to get 2,000 IU per day since my prenatal (a prescription one) only has 200 or 400 IU I think. It's important to get at least 800 IU of Vitamin E, 1000 mg of calcium (closer to 2000 after the first trimester), at least 400 mg of magnesium (great for preventing/easing cramps, leg and uterine ones!), 150 mcg iodine, and vitamin C although I don't remember how much. There are other things, but those are the ones that I really was looking for and used other supplements as needed to get the amounts my midwife recommended.

I've heard good things about Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal System, but apparently you have to take several pills per day. There's a Rainbow Light One version where you only need to take 1/day I think, but it's not quite as complete but still good.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby lalalindsayy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Does it really matter what kind of prenatal vitamin you take??? I guess I just thought that if it said "prenatal" it was good. Now I'm worried if I am getting enough of all the good stuff, or not!! I also put my prenatal's in my regular vitamin container, so no one would know I was pregnant yet. I couldn't even tell you what kind I'm taking or what's in it :doh:
lalalindsayy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby tylerplus1more » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:07 am

I took prenatals before I was preg anyway cuz they are good for women's bodies in general lol... Right now I'm taking a generic brand but am going to try some my ob gave me as samples... I would think any prenatal is better than no prenatal at all, however I'm sure some have better combinations and etc. I say do your research and ask your dr to see what they recommend. Also don't forget the dha!
Christy(me)-28 Doug(DH)-32
DS-6yrs-06/10/07
BFP 5/5/13 - EDD 1/16/14
Having repeat c-section

U/S 7w3d- baby measured perfectly! Heartrate 154!!
U/S 9w0d- baby measured perfect again! Doc says "this one wrote the book on how to grow"
U/S 10w6d- baby measured 11w1d heartrate was 168!!!
13w0d- dr Doppler heartrate 160!!
U/S 17w0d- hr-157 it's a.... BOY!!! Peyton (middle to be decided still)
My BFF is team pink and.....
tylerplus1more
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Alberta_born » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:16 pm

Go by your diet, not what others are taking, if you have a diet that is lacking something then take a prenatal that is higher in what you are lacking, IMO.
Lori
dh~Keith

Our Little Emmett
Alberta_born
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bazil323 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:59 pm

There's huge differences in prenatals. Some, as mentioned, are made from whole food sources which are supposed to be easier to digest and you get more out of them than the ones made from mineral sources. Most prenatals are made from mineral sources, and the whole food ones tend to be more expensive.

Besides that, you could get completely different things out of one vs another and different levels of things. For example, some prenatals include iron while some don't. Some may include DHA (an omega-3 fatty acid) while a lot don't. Folic acid is one thing that they all have, but you can get levels from 400 mcg (the older recommendation & still "standard" for most prenatals) up to 1000 mg or more. More and more docs are recommending at least 800 mcgs, and my prenatal has 1,000 mcg. The women who need more are ones who have a family history of things like spina bifida or other nervous system problems, and they usually are recommended to take 3-4 mg (3000-4000 mcg).
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Next

Return to First Trimester