The symptom game begins....

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

The symptom game begins....

Postby NiecyDueinDec » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Oh lordie. I love my coffee.. I was tapering it down to 1 cup, then half a cup and now down to decaf...that didn't agree with me well. My head is pounding. I cannot wait to get in and see my Ob.. i'm thinking maybe tea instead should help because it doesn't have as much caffeine. Today at 5w1d I started TMI diarrhea last night and today, and mild nausea. I've been lucky so far with no vomiting. I am in this for the long haul and all I keep telling myself is we woman were made for this :D. Did I mention I get fatigued and don't sleep? It's like my body is fighting it :/

First month TTC
Date of conception 3/29
First faint positive on First Response 4/7 9dpo
First positive on Clear Blue Digital 4/9
Gained an Angel on 5/6 7w4 baby stopped growing at 5w5
D&C 5/12/15
NiecyDueinDec
Friend

Re: The symptom game begins....

Postby amlobo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:46 pm

On the coffee... I told my doctor I went to decaf, and she told me I didn't need to cut it out completely... just cut down to 1 cup a day (or 200mg, which is actually more than a cup based on most coffee brands). I was still overly cautious and cut it out for the first trimester (drank hot tea and decaf), but then started having my 1 cup a day in my 2nd trimester, lol. I need that 1 cup in the morning!

I had random diarrhea too, and never any vomiting. Just this constant indigestion, making me feel like I was hungry ALL the time! I also had insomnia, but luckily that is gone for the most part now. Now it's just a lot of adjusting throughout the night, ha.

Hang in there :)
Me (Amanda): 31
DH: 32

July 2014: Missed M/C at 11 weeks, measured 7w4d
January 2015: BFP at 9dpo, EDD 9/19/15

DS born via c-section 9/20/15 - 8lb 9oz, 21 inches :)
amlobo
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Mantis » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:30 am

I don't see any need to cut it out completely. All the health recommendations I have read here in Australia state 200mg and a cup of tea is roughly 50mg, around the same for instant coffee and closer to 100mg for a one shot filter coffee. So you can actually have quite a bit. I have between 2-3 cups a day and don't have any plans to cut down any further. I have already cut down from one tea and a coffee in the morning, another two-three in the afternoon. I see no reason myself to cause myself undue tiredness and headaches above what I am already experiencing.

Obviously it is a personal choice but just wanted to share that. A few people at work have been judgy about drinking caffeien during pregnancy, even though they don't even know I am pregnant . I think there is a false understanding that you should cut out caffeine during pregnancy completely when there is not really any evidence that it is required.
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby FrostedFuji » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:22 am

I dropped to decaf coffee as well, primarily because spring and summer are coming and I like my iced tea, so I figured it would give me less to worry about in regards to counting caffeine mgs! I don't recommend just cutting caffeine cold turkey though, it's much easier on yourself to taper it down at the very least.

Re: people being judgy about caffeine in pregnancy, from what I've read the effects of caffeine in pregnancy were really overstated by the media in recent history (no surprise since they tend to overblow any minor research findings to cause panic, the media is fun like that), so the general public knowledge is that "caffeine = evil" despite there being no scientific support for it.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby Mantis » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:53 pm

That makes sense Fuji. It's coming into winter here so I am just switching out my mid morning and later afternoon cups for herbals like lemon and ginger

Yeah that is what I think is happening with the people at work, although they are other postgraduate students in psychology so with a science background should really know better.
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby HighlandGamesGirlCO » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:12 pm

I agree! People get very judgmental and love to hop on the newest bandwagon. I specifically asked my midwife and she said the same as Mantis - 200mg a day is completely fine. I drink a cup of black tea in the mornings and an occasional glass of iced tea, and a chocolate or 2 every once in a while. I agree with Fuji - don't want to be all spastic counting caffeine mgs! ;)
Me (Lindsey) - 38
DH/love of my life - 44

"We are all atheists regarding most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

Fiona Jayne born 12/21/2015 - our solstice baby! 7lb 5.5oz 19.75"

It's a BOY! EDD Feb 16, 2017
Repeat c-section scheduled, Ciaran Reeves will arrive Feb 13, 2017!

HighlandGamesGirlCO
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sumia » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:49 pm

^^ I dropped coffee all together. Its tough but honestly, better for baby. Instead, I moved to coke. 1 can of coke is like 32g of caffeine and it usually had the pick me up in the middle of the day I needed. It also helps with nausea (if you ever get it. I had it bad) and headaches if you get that.
BFP: 3/8/17
DD born 10/16/15
6/28/17 It's a BOY! Image
Sumia
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Mantis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:48 am

Sorry but I totally disagree that coke is better for you than coffee!!! It's doesn't have much less caffeine and is full of sugar and other nasties. I personally feel coffee is better for my baby than coke and won't be swapping an organic coffee for a chemical drink
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Artemis » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:26 pm

I agree Mantis, coffee is 100% natural made from the earth and it much better than soda, in fact coffee is very healthy for you in moderation of course, it's what you put in the coffee that's bad for (crappy creamer, sugar, Splenda, etc...) ! I still drink 1 cup or two a day and even make my own "mochas" by heating up a few tbsp of my homemade almond milk on the stove stop and add s spoonful of raw cacao & pure maple syrup to sweeten. I pour it over my coffee and its heavenly + chemical free! I tend to save my cup allowance to after lunch now since that's when I hit my wall! Works quickly to bring me back to life :)

Credentials: certified personal trainer, health coach, and holistic nutrition
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby vanjust14 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:54 am

Artemis wrote: I still drink 1 cup or two a day and even make my own "mochas" by heating up a few tbsp of my homemade almond milk on the stove stop and add s spoonful of raw cacao & pure maple syrup to sweeten. I pour it over my coffee and its heavenly + chemical free!
Credentials: certified personal trainer, health coach, and holistic nutrition

Mmmmmm, I have all of these ingredients (except my almond milk is not homemade) and plan on trying this! I do like to have a cup of coffee but I'm trying to stay away from the cream and sugar. This is perfect, thanks for the recipe!
Me (Vanessa): 37
DH: 31
DS:16

TTC since Sept 2012 Dx: diminished ovarian reserve and mild male factor
08/13-12/13 5 rounds of 5mg Femara=BFN
01/14-10/14 relaxed cycles=BFN
11/14 IUI with injectables + trigger=BFN

4/21/15 19dpo :bfp: EDD- Christmas Eve!
Beta #1 22dpo= 1,630
Beta #2 26dpo= 7,616
May 11, 7weeks 5 days, measuring 1 day ahead, :hb:156

IT'S A GIRL!!!! :future baby girl: