The first Dr.'s appt...with my Family Dr.!?

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

The first Dr.'s appt...with my Family Dr.!?

Postby jeepgirl88 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:45 am

Hey Ladies,

I live in Canada, so going to an OB/gyn isn't a common thing unless you have an issue. I have always seen my family Dr. for pap tests etc. I had started seeing a gyno though for infertility testing after we were ttc for awhile.

Last week I got my first BFP ever, and I called the OB/gyn office the next day to let them know, but they don't seem too interested in calling me back to schedule an appt. I ended up calling my family Dr.'s office Friday morning because I was kind of nervous- my HPT's didn't seem like they were getting darker. The lady spoke with my Dr. and they said I could come in for a urine test and bloodwork.

I called them this morning and she confirmed my results were positive, she asked if I had an appt booked yet. I said no and that I didn't know if I should book in with them (family Dr.) or continue seeing the OB. She called me back awhile later and said that I could book in with them and that I wouldn't actually need to go to an OB until later on. So I have an appt booked for June 18th. She said if the OB does call me back and I want to go to her I can.

In a way I think I'd be more comfortable with the OB as she is a female, but she is also further from home and its more convenient to see my family Dr. I guess what I am wondering is if it will make a difference...is there things a family Dr. can't do? Like, will I still be able to get an early u/s? All she mentioned was going for bloodwork a week or so before my appt, and routine HIV testing...so I have no idea what to expect!
Me: 28
DH: 32
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Re: The first Dr.'s appt...with my Family Dr.!?

Postby Artemis » Mon May 25, 2015 10:16 am

Congrats again!! Love seeing you over here!

I'm not sure about your GP and what to expect at your first apt but Im guessing they probably won't do an U/S in office whether it's because they don't have a machine or a tech so they will more than likely write you an rx to go to the hospital outpatient radiology to get one done! Just a guess! You could always call and check? Seems like they've been helpful so far? I hope you find an Ob you like for later on check up & delivery! Do some research, ask friends or family members or coworkers that you can trust about any local obgyns that are good!
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby jeepgirl88 » Mon May 25, 2015 11:33 am

Thanks Artemis!

So I actually just heard back from the OB. She told me my beta (it was 57, which is low, but she assured me this is likely just because its so early). She also can get me in next week (June 2nd) for my first appt!

I told her how I had already booked in with my family Dr. so I was unsure what to do, she said its totally up to me. Other than her taking awhile to call me back I do really like her, and I think I'd be more comfortable with her being a female. So I booked in with her and cancelled the other appt.

She did say that my hcg levels will need to reach a certain point before we can see anything on an u/s, but she did mention doing an early u/s to make sure everything looks normal. So...YAY!! I'm so excited :)
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Postby justxher » Mon May 25, 2015 12:02 pm

I'm in Canada too (Ontario) and have been seeing my family dr up until now. She got me referred and accepted to my obgyn pretty early (only 4 weeks pg), but my OB doesn't see patients until they're 13 weeks along and from what I've heard that is pretty common as there is really no need for it. Unless you are having complications then all you really need to do in early pregnancy is some bloodwork and a scan or two, and a family dr can easily write you requisitions for those things. They won't even be checking the heartbeat on a doppler until 12 weeks or so.

My OB faxed specific instructions to my family dr for what they needed in terms of tests and scans, and my family dr has been taking care of all of it. So far she's had me do a dating ultrasound, an NT ultrasound, the standard bloodwork (hiv, vaccinations, etc..) as well as my blood work for genetic testing (IPS).

So to answer your question, there is nothing a family dr can't do this early on in pregnancy that you would need an OB for, but if you already have one and like her and would rather go to her then go for it.
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby jeepgirl88 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:20 pm

Ok thanks for all the info Justxher, that's really good to know!

Considering the OB can see me so much sooner, I'm definitely going to go to her. She already sounds more thorough than my Family Dr. too, as she wants me to get a 2nd beta done this week. I was already going crazy thinking I had to wait 3 1/2 to see a Dr., so I am feeling much better now knowing I get to see a Dr. so much sooner.

Thank you again though for the info ladies!
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Artemis » Mon May 25, 2015 1:03 pm

That's fantastic news! And that number looks fine! All that matters is that it doubles and it will ;) yay!!
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby sgrumbling21 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:09 pm

I don't know about the family doctor being able to do what the OB does since I'm in the US and they send us straight to the OB for pregnancy but I do know that 50 is a good beta! mine was around there at 13 DPO and so long as they double within 24-48 hours then you are fine! Also, my OB didn't want to do an ultrasound until I was atlas 7 weeks because in the 6th is when the heart starts beating and they didn't want me to freak out if we didn't see it. But congrats on your BFP!!! I hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months!
Me- 25
DH- 28
#1 EDD 10/12/15
13DPO beta 55
15DPO beta 126

2/23/15 First ultrasound Measuring 6w5d HR 128
3/5/15 measures right on time! HR 171

4/29/15 It's a GIRL!!!!

Natalie born 09.18.15 @2302 5lbs 9.4oz 18in long! She is my tiny, amazing little baby girl!
sgrumbling21

Return to First Trimester