Dr. said they may not show us anything on first u/s!?

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Dr. said they may not show us anything on first u/s!?

Postby jeepgirl88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:44 am

Hey Ladies!

So I believe I'm about 6 1/2 weeks (it's more like 8 weeks based on my LMP but I believe I O'ed late) and we have our first u/s tomorrow morning. I am very anxious because I have ZERO symptoms and I'm still finding it hard to believe I'm actually pregnant. I know I'll feel a lot better once I'm told there's actually something in there and that there is a heartbeat. BUT, here's the thing: my OB said they might not show us anything. She said sometimes they don't and to call her once its done and that she will find out the results for us. That just seems SO bizarre, and with tomorrow being Friday, now I'm wondering if I'll have to wait all weekend before my Dr. has any results. How come I see others posting early u/s pictures all the time, stating how far along the embryo measured and what the heartbeat was etc? I live in Canada so I don't know if it's different here, but I'm going to be sooo bummed if I don't find out anything tomorrow.

If you had an early u/s, please share your experience!
Me: 28
DH: 32
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Dr. said they may not show us anything on first u/s!?

Postby HighlandGamesGirlCO » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:47 am

That's really odd - in the US, at every ultrasound I have had, there is a screen on the wall in front of me or right by my face, and I see everything the U/S tech sees in real time. Not entirely sure why they wouldn't show you anything..?
Me (Lindsey) - 38
DH/love of my life - 44

"We are all atheists regarding most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

Fiona Jayne born 12/21/2015 - our solstice baby! 7lb 5.5oz 19.75"

It's a BOY! EDD Feb 16, 2017
Repeat c-section scheduled, Ciaran Reeves will arrive Feb 13, 2017!

HighlandGamesGirlCO
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jeepgirl88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:01 am

I know it just seems so odd to me too! One girl in my buddy group on the ttc side had this explanation: If they are sending you to an outside place, they may not show you the screen because they aren't allowed to interpret things and they don't want you asking questions about what is or isn't visible.

My u/s will be done at the hospital so maybe that's true then? Before I thought it would be done by my OB herself but I guess not. If they don't show us anything I'll be calling my OB immediately after and can hopefully find something out before the weekend at least!
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Postby HighlandGamesGirlCO » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:07 am

ahhhh ok that does make sense yes, much like an x-ray tech is only qualified to take the x-rays but not to interpret them, that is for a radiologist to do. I was thinking you were having it done at your OB office.

Getting the girl vibe from you. I mean I have a 50% chance of being right, but I feel like you're going to have a girl. Just sayin'. ;)
Me (Lindsey) - 38
DH/love of my life - 44

"We are all atheists regarding most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

Fiona Jayne born 12/21/2015 - our solstice baby! 7lb 5.5oz 19.75"

It's a BOY! EDD Feb 16, 2017
Repeat c-section scheduled, Ciaran Reeves will arrive Feb 13, 2017!

HighlandGamesGirlCO
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jeepgirl88 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:15 am

Hehe I hope you're right :) I really want to have one of each though, so whichever comes first doesn't matter to me. As long as I don't end up with two boys!! (Or for DH's sake, 2 girls) lol
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:54 am

I would be very surprised if they didn't have results for you by the end of the day. If they really just want someone who really knows what they're looking at/for, it should only take a few seconds to receive and look over the scans to confirm pregnancy. The US itself will probably take a little while just because they'll be taking pictures of your ovaries, uterus, cervix, etc. so if (God forbid) nobody tells you what's going on and you can't see the screen, they aren't taking that long just to find baby!

Congrats on your BFP, hope the US goes really well tomorrow!
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby Yelibaby » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:23 pm

That is so weird. Here results are given to the patient not the doctor, U/S results normally right after its over, which I know is different for you guys. Maybe you can get your dh to sneak a peek and tell you if there's a blob on the screen. Show him a few early u/s pics, so he knows what he's looking for. Lol.
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.

BFP Feb. 15, 2015 - MC at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo)

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

Please be my rainbow baby!!
Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby justxher » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:07 am

I couldn't see the screen both times I was having my ultrasounds done (also in Canada) but they showed me the pictures afterwards and even printed some photos for me. But as Lindsey said, the tech is not allowed to interpret the data just to take the photos, which they send to your doctor to interpret. So I guess maybe if you get a bad tech they could just not bother showing it to you and just send it straight to your doctor? Maybe that's what she meant
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby jeepgirl88 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Hey everyone, just thought I would update on what my experience was today:

In the waiting room I noticed there was a sign that said 'no detailed interpretations or images will be given for OB ultrasounds' so yeah I was expecting we might not be shown anything. The tech was super nice though and after I was moving to try to see the screen she asked me to keep still and assured me she would show me in a minute. She did an abdominal one first but only saw a gestational sac because its so early, we got a much better picture with the vaginal one. DH could see the screen the whole time since he was across from it, but she did let me look and she pointed out the heartbeat to us. She said the pregnancy is viable, that everything is in the right place and that I'm about 6 1/2 weeks (which is exactly what I thought and what my ticker says). So I guess this lady must have known what she was seeing to be able to tell me those things. I have a follow-up appt with my OB on Thursday and where I'm assuming she will go over the results in a bit more detail, like hopefully tell me exactly what the heart rate was etc. I am kind of bummed we didn't get a picture but otherwise it was a great experience, and sooo amazing to see that little heart flickering!!
Married 11/09/2013
DD Born 02/04/2016

jeepgirl88
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:38 pm

Too bad about the photo, but I'm so glad you at least got to see the screen and watch the heartbeat! That's so exciting :) I hope you get some good photos from future ultrasounds!
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby casi7787 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:46 am

That is strange. They're all different. I wasn't given any photos either. They gave me 3 short videos on a DVD. I had to screenshots pictures from the videos. It's okay though because I love being able to watch that little heart go.
Me-28
DH-38
Married-5/1/15
DD-8/2006 & DS-6/2008 (mine from a previous relationship)
DS-3/1995 & DD 11/2000 (DH's non-biological children he helped raise in a previous relationship)
Have his DD some weekends
MC-1/2006 (DD's wombmate/s-natural multiple pregnancy)
MC-9/21/2013 4-5 weeks
TTC#3-since wedding-DH's 1st

My Ovulation Chart

casi7787
Star Member
Star Member

Return to First Trimester