Bloodwork... what does it mean?

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Bloodwork... what does it mean?

Postby aboulanger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:28 pm

My doctors office isn't open until Monday but I can see this on my chart online. Can someone tell me what it means so I don't go crazy until Monday?

#2 due 8/2017

DS- Colin Born 2/2016

aboulanger
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Bloodwork... what does it mean?

Postby Yelibaby » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:52 pm

It means you're preggers! They did a beta hcg qualitative test. That only gives you a positive or negative result, not actual numbers. I'd guess it means your hcg numbers are above 50, since I think that is the standard level for a positive qualitative.
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.

BFP Feb. 15, 2015 - MC at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo)

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

Please be my rainbow baby!!
Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby FrostedFuji » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:07 pm

Did a little research and brainstorming since the whole "Range" thing threw me off :) I agree with Yelibaby, it definitely looks as though the test shows you're pregnant based on the "results" indicator.

The bit where it shows the range being "Negative <6" looks like just a reference. A qualitative hCG level between 0 and 5 means you're not pregnant, while anything 6 or over is considered a positive pregnancy result. The normal quantitative range for hCG is huge - by 5 weeks, anywhere between 18 and 7000+ is normal and healthy for a typical single-fetus pregnancy, and by 6 weeks that range has increased to 1080-56,000+. Thus, since there is no official "cap" to the hCG range (that I am aware of) it's just showing that had the result been less than 6, the result would be negative.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby aboulanger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Yelibaby wrote:It means you're preggers! They did a beta hcg qualitative test. That only gives you a positive or negative result, not actual numbers. I'd guess it means your hcg numbers are above 50, since I think that is the standard level for a positive qualitative.

FrostedFuji wrote:Did a little research and brainstorming since the whole "Range" thing threw me off :) I agree with Yelibaby, it definitely looks as though the test shows you're pregnant based on the "results" indicator.

The bit where it shows the range being "Negative <6" looks like just a reference. A qualitative hCG level between 0 and 5 means you're not pregnant, while anything 6 or over is considered a positive pregnancy result. The normal quantitative range for hCG is huge - by 5 weeks, anywhere between 18 and 7000+ is normal and healthy for a typical single-fetus pregnancy, and by 6 weeks that range has increased to 1080-56,000+. Thus, since there is no official "cap" to the hCG range (that I am aware of) it's just showing that had the result been less than 6, the result would be negative.

Thank you both. I actually worked myself into a sweaty panic! I shouldn't have gotten on to look at the results and just waited for Monday until the doc called and could explain it!

Like you- I saw the positive (which is what I expected as all my home tests have been positive for the past week) but then I saw the negative <6 and my heart sank. I think it sank so far down it was sitting where baby poppyseed is nestled right now. Downright broke into a cold sweat thinking it was saying I was not pregnant or was but it wasn't "sticking" or something.

Thank you for the reassurance and the research time you took. I think I have a pulse again thanks to you.

So I can be happy again! Phew!

Love you girls.
#2 due 8/2017

DS- Colin Born 2/2016

aboulanger
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:11 pm

I would absolutely, 110% have had the exact same reaction as you :) Don't get me started on what the early calls from my midwife's office did to my heart, LOL. Never mind the fact that they'd have had to be psychic to know something was "wrong" with my pregnancy, as the receptionist was just calling to confirm an appointment...

Our first baby!

FrostedFuji

Postby aboulanger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:06 pm

FrostedFuji wrote:I would absolutely, 110% have had the exact same reaction as you :) Don't get me started on what the early calls from my midwife's office did to my heart, LOL. Never mind the fact that they'd have had to be psychic to know something was "wrong" with my pregnancy, as the receptionist was just calling to confirm an appointment...

Hahahaha! So funny but so terrifying while those thoughts are happening.

Man do I feel better.
#2 due 8/2017

DS- Colin Born 2/2016

aboulanger
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Yelibaby » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Glad you're feeling some relief. But don't worry, I would have read the results before Monday too. I had a quant and qual beta done at the same time, the qual came back negative and the quant 35, so I didn't worry cause I knew that definitely meant I was preggers. Anything over 5 is supposed to mean pregnant, but for a qual to come back positive hcg must be above 50, at least in my country.

BFP Apr 2015 - cp

Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby lauren818 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:31 am

I agree with everyone! Just wanted to share that I had multiple hcg tests and after one of them, the nurse goes, "Oh no... it's gone." And I FREAKED out and thought she meant that I had lost the baby. No, she meant that the lab had lost my bloodwork (it was found an hour later) but I burst into tears on the phone.
me-30, DH-33

BFP at 10 dpo - 11/24/14

Beta #1 (18 dpo): 994
Beta #2 (20 dpo): 2550
Beta #3 (21 dpo): 4005

U/s 1: 12/16/14 - 6w6d by LMP; measuring 6w. Fetal pole 4.5mm and HB of 108!
U/s 2: 1/28/15 - 13w by LMP; measuring 12w6d! HB of 148-153 and lots of wiggles!

2/2/15 - IT'S A GIRL!!!!! + InformaSeq results all negative!

U/s 3: Measuring behind again but looks great - sucks her left thumb just like I did!

U/s 4: All caught up - again! We have a little yogi :)

lauren818
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby aboulanger » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:22 am

lauren818 wrote:I agree with everyone! Just wanted to share that I had multiple hcg tests and after one of them, the nurse goes, "Oh no... it's gone." And I FREAKED out and thought she meant that I had lost the baby. No, she meant that the lab had lost my bloodwork (it was found an hour later) but I burst into tears on the phone.

Oh my god I would have freaked too!!!!!! That's awful!
#2 due 8/2017

DS- Colin Born 2/2016

aboulanger
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Yelibaby » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:29 am

How did your appointment go?

BFP Apr 2015 - cp

Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby aboulanger » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Yelibaby wrote:How did your appointment go?

I didn't actually see him today- just got the phone call (first thing) telling me what I already knew but LOVED to hear: "You're pregnant"

He said- as you guys reassured me of- that the "range" column is what they use to get the "result" column. If it was under 6 it would be labeled negative but because it was over 6 it is labeled positive. :D

I am going in to see him Thursday morning and discuss obgyns with him.

Today: boobs are funny and I'm pretty tired. But no complaints!

I will feel so much better when I see someone and they check on my poppyseed baby and tell me it's in the right place and progressing as it should. I just don't want my dreams of holding my little baby, in just 8 months, shattered.

How are you feeling? Any symptoms going on?
#2 due 8/2017

DS- Colin Born 2/2016

aboulanger
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:56 pm

YAY! I'm so glad he was able to confirm what we told you, that must have been so reassuring. When you schedule your first prenatal appointment, they will probably want to see you around 7 or 8 weeks. It feels like FOREVER, but at that point they can confirm with an ultrasound and see the heartbeat, which is pretty dang magical.

If you know the date you ovulated, and it's several days off of the "standard" 14 days post LMP, I do strongly suggest you mention it. I made sure to let them know I ovulated on day 20, so when they went to do my ultrasound at nearly "9 weeks" based on my LMP they weren't freaking out on me that little Jedi in there was measuring a week too small. My tech was still a little hesitant with, "So....do you think you might have miscalculated your last period?" and I told her (again) that I confirmed ovulation on day 20 and she breathed a huge sigh of relief and said with that knowledge, baby was right on target. WAY better than hearing someone tell me baby looked too small and might not be thriving, let me tell you!

Congratulations on a confirmed pregnancy, I hope you have a happy & healthy 9 months!

Our first baby!

FrostedFuji

Postby aboulanger » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:09 pm

FrostedFuji wrote:YAY! I'm so glad he was able to confirm what we told you, that must have been so reassuring. When you schedule your first prenatal appointment, they will probably want to see you around 7 or 8 weeks. It feels like FOREVER, but at that point they can confirm with an ultrasound and see the heartbeat, which is pretty dang magical.

If you know the date you ovulated, and it's several days off of the "standard" 14 days post LMP, I do strongly suggest you mention it. I made sure to let them know I ovulated on day 20, so when they went to do my ultrasound at nearly "9 weeks" based on my LMP they weren't freaking out on me that little Jedi in there was measuring a week too small. My tech was still a little hesitant with, "So....do you think you might have miscalculated your last period?" and I told her (again) that I confirmed ovulation on day 20 and she breathed a huge sigh of relief and said with that knowledge, baby was right on target. WAY better than hearing someone tell me baby looked too small and might not be thriving, let me tell you!

Congratulations on a confirmed pregnancy, I hope you have a happy & healthy 9 months!

I only know the date of my last period, not sure what day I actually ovulated. But that's sage advice.

I cannot WAIT to see a heart beat (WOW babies grow fast don't they?! Heartbeat at just 7 weeks- amazing).

Thank you for all your help. And happy and healthy pregnancy to you too!
#2 due 8/2017

DS- Colin Born 2/2016

aboulanger
Star Member
Star Member

Return to First Trimester