Cramping at 4 weeks- when to be concerned?

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Cramping at 4 weeks- when to be concerned?

Postby Glassy1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:53 am

Hey everyone, I'm 4 weeks, 6 days along and I've had symptoms for a few weeks now- sore boobs, headaches, exhaustion, an insane sense of smell, cramping, and some nausea between breakfast and lunch. I have 2 questions. When should I be concerned with cramping as possible ectopic pregnancy? When the cramps come on, they're terrible and nearly take my breath away. I only get 3-4 bouts of them per day though- nothing constant and no blood. If I walk around and drink water, they typically subside... My 2nd question is if I should expect all of my symptoms to get worse at 6-8 weeks, or maybe since I have symptoms early, this is what I'll be managing for the next few months? I know everyone is so different, but I'm wondering if women who had symptoms at 4 weeks saw a change over the next month or so. I'm thankful for symptoms as they keep reminding me I'm still pregnant!! :) Thanks for the support and guidance!!
Glassy1
Friend

Re: Cramping at 4 weeks- when to be concerned?

Postby Artemis » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy! How exciting!

I can completely relate to your woes! I'm now 13 weeks along but, like you, I was SO worried over every little cramp and pinch until out first apt at 8 weeks. I also had some bad cramps, sometimes felt like period cramps, sometimes it was isolated to one side like ovarian pain which freaked me out thinking it was an ectopic. Rest assured, it's TOTALLY normal. Here's what my doc told me: There is a lot of extra blood flow goin on in the pelvic area now, plus your uterus is preparing to stretch so it will feel achy like a period. The pokes and intermittent pains that happen on the sides by the ovaries could very well be just the corpus luteum working hard to keep that baby safe by pumping out tons of hormones. Another reason is...gas lol. He assured me that nearly all his patients have these complaints super early on and as long as it's not lasting more than 30 minutes at a time, accompanied by a fever or spotting, odds are that everything is perfectly normal :)

I even had terrible cramping around 5 weeks after an orgasm!! Oh my gosh that was painful, I laid in the fetal position for about 10 minutes until it disappeared.

As far as symptoms go? They will be likely be on and off for the first 4-12 weeks. I felt pretty crappy weeks 5-8, never threw up just felt hungover SO bad, but about week 8/9 I felt much much better but the back and hip pain began and is still pretty prevelant. At 13 weeks I generally feel awesome but there are days (few and far between now) where I'm still getting cramps, feel icky, or just am not feeling cute and preggo lol. Actually, around week 14 my doc said to expect some more discomfort as this is another big growth spurt for baby.

I hope that my experience helps you relax a bit, try to keep your mind off it and you're doing the right thing by waking it off and drinking lots of water! Fx that this first trimester is a breeze for you ;) xox
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Glassy1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:52 pm

Thank you SO MUCH! Your response was exactly what I needed to hear. I haven't seen the doctor yet- and likely won't until about 10 weeks, so I feel I can breathe a little easier now. Best of luck along the way!!
Glassy1
Friend

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:27 pm

I'm glad Artemis was able to help put your mind at ease :)

I just want to say that if you're ever in the position where you feel really uncomfortable, worried, upset, etc. it never hurts to call your doctor just in case, if you're able. I had some minor spotting very early on, and went straight in - everything was just fine, but I was definitely freaked out. At the very least, they will listen to your symptoms over the phone and let you know whether or not it's something you do really need to be worried about, and/or reassure you that it's part of the natural process :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Return to First Trimester