trip to the er

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

trip to the er

Postby slewing » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:32 am

I had to go to the ER last week because of abdominal pain. I haven't had my first ob appt yet so couldn't tell them how far along I was for sure so they did an US. They turned the screen and showed me the baby for a brief moment then continued to look in my abdomen to see if they could find the cause of my pain. Right after they finished looking at the baby he asked me if I had been on any hormones or fertility drugs I replied with no and then he asked if I had ever carried multiples and I said no again. I thought these 2 questions were very strange to ask after he had looked at the baby. Do you think he saw more than one? If he had asked them before the US I wouldn't have thought anything of it. The timing was very odd to me. Imput? FYI it was a Dr that gave me the US not a tech.
slewing

Re: trip to the er

Postby FrostedFuji » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:57 am

I think it's most likely that when looking for a cause of the pain he wanted to rule out any other possibilities as he was having a look. I would hope if he'd seen more than one fetus he'd have said something, but it's definitely something to bring up with your OB in your next visit.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby slewing » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Perhaps. I had explained that the pain I was having was in my actual stomach area and I wasn't having any lower abdominal pain.
slewing

Postby SaSears » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:40 pm

My best guess (other than you're carrying multiples and no one told you) that he saw a baby in the uterus, but was still concerned about the possibility of an ectopic? Those can present in super weird ways. So maybe he was just making sure even though there was one in there.... That there wasn't also one someplace else.

I would seriously think of you were having multiples they would mention it. Hahaha. Yikes. I would probably be convinced I was having like octuplets or something. Let us know how many are in there when you find out!
SaSears
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Fairy Wings » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:24 am

Unfortunately, at the ER, they don't tell you much about the findings on the ultrasound. I went in for abdominal pain at 7 weeks and all I got was "the baby is fine" and nothing else. The ER doc didn't tell me I had a subchorionic hematoma which was clearly noted in the ultrasound report. Of course if there was something that was of immediate concern (i.e. threatening to the baby or you) they would have to tell you. They wouldn't just release you without telling you if there was something dangerous going on. I don't know if they would tell you if there are multiples although I would think so. I don't know how soon you can get ahold of your ultrasound report (mine took weeks before I could access it via the hospital's online patient portal) or if they will even let you see it before your doctor's appointment but I would try to get a copy in person. Maybe call records and ask them how that works? There is a section on the report that states the number of sacs present. If they won't let you see it maybe you could follow up with your doctor sooner than your scheduled appointment? I think they're supposed to see you within a few days of an ER visit.

Btw, starting in early pregnancy I would get wicked abdominal cramps (in my stomach area) that would literally make it impossible to walk. I have never experienced anything like that in my life but apparently its normal in pregnancy. The digestive system slows way down in pregnancy to absorb more nutrients and this can cause all kinds of pain, especially sharp gas pains.
Me: Jenna

BFP 3/27/2015 - 1st pregnancy

7/06/2015 18 w 2 d (measuring 18 w 6 d!) :babyb: IT'S A BOY! :babyb:

Fairy Wings
Star Member
Star Member

Postby justxher » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:48 am

I agree with Sasears, it sounds like they might have been wondering if you had a second baby in there and it was ectopic. History of multiples + taking fertility drugs both increase your risk of having multiples.
Me: 27
DH: 29
DS1: :angel: Baby Jase born 06/30/15, premature at 18w2d

DS2: June 25 2016
justxher
Angel
Angel

Postby 90Kat » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:43 am

You can always request your records from the service desk, it sometimes takes then 48 hours, but they will I've you a copy of everything they did. And, if there is any kind of complication or a multiple
Pregnancy you can show your OB and get things moving.
90Kat
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to First Trimester