Ultrasound saw nothing

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Ultrasound saw nothing

Postby Duke27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:50 am

Hi ladies.

The doctor sent me for an ultrasound today I am 4 weeks 2 days I think. It was because I was having left sided pain. They didn't see anything on the ultrasound just a thickened lining? Not sure what that means. They've taken my bloods so going to find out results tonight and going to have some more on Friday I think to see if they have doubled. I had symptoms of nausea and sore nipples and feeling hot when I found out and now it's gone :-( except from occasional nausea but my boobs aren't sore or big like they were in the slightest. I'm so worried. My frer test is now darker than the control line. What do you think ladies. X
Duke27
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Ultrasound saw nothing

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:13 am

Oh Duke, that's rough. I think it's important to keep in mind that an ultrasound that early is really hard to see anything; the earliest you'll see baby with a heartbeat is closer to 6 weeks, and most doctors won't have you try for an ultrasound until 8 weeks or so. A thickened lining is still a good sign, that would indicate you're not on the verge of a period or otherwise shedding the lining. I would think the real purpose of the ultrasound would be to ensure you didn't have an ectopic pregnancy, or any other abnormality that would be causing you pain.

It is not uncommon for symptoms to come and go for a bit as you're newly pregnant; in fact, that's what convinced me I was probably NOT pregnant when my first FRER appeared negative. If your FRERs are getting darker, and you're still having some symptoms (mild nausea, etc.) I don't think you really need to worry. It's not uncommon for doctors to order bloodwork to ensure your hcg is doubling, and if there are still some concerns about an ectopic then the bloodwork should show that as well from very low betas.

Sending positive thoughts & prayers your way anyway, just in case :) But I really don't think there's much to be concerned about given what you've described so far. Best wishes!
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby Duke27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:23 am

Thank you for your support. I just got my results. My hcg beta at 16dpo is 666 and my progesterone is 69 does that sound ok? Got to have them done again on Friday so really hoping it doubles!
Duke27
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:59 am

Those levels sound BEAUTIFUL! Normal hcg beta range is huge. You can look here for a guide of what the averages are: http://americanpregnancy.org/while-pregnant/hcg-levels/

Since you're 4w2d, I'd assume you'd fall in between the 4 week and 5 week averages, so mid-high 600s is perfect :)

Progesterone, on the other hand, seems high. That doesn't seem like a bad thing to me, but I don't know much about it. The good sources I can find are saying that you should see it between 8 and 47 for the first trimester. You can look here for more info on basic pregnancy progression: http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy- ... velopment/

If you were going through fertility treatments, that could explain some of the high progesterone. Otherwise, I really don't know, and it might be worth asking your doctor if s/he thinks that sounds high.

Either way, it's pretty darn clear that nothing is too low, so good signs in that regard! Yay!

Our first baby!

FrostedFuji

Postby Duke27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks for your reply I am totally freaking myself out though! I'm either 4w1day or 4w2days and now im worried about the high progesterone.

Is it normal to have fluctuating symptoms too? I've been googling... I know I shouldn't have been :( but so many ladies have higher hcg than me at this point... I'm scared :( The EPAU told me that they would consider my levels normal with a continuing intrauterine pregnancy... I think thats what he said.
Duke27
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:41 am

Fluctuating symptoms are totally normal. Sore one day, not the next, nausea some of the time but not all the time. I took a FRER around 8 DPO and thought it was faulty because the line looked more like a scratch that caught dye when it shouldn't have, and then my symptoms totally disappeared so I figured it was just false. I didn't bother to try again until 14 DPO when I woke up really nauseous, and lo and behold it was definitely a BFP. And then my symptoms disappeared again. And heck, some women don't have any symptoms at all!

Do not psych yourself out over betas. If you check out the chart I gave (it's one of my favorite sites, the American Pregnancy Association, they have a a lot of factual information without the fear-mongering of other places), at 5 weeks gestation NORMAL hcg range is between *18* and 7340. Other ladies may certainly have higher betas than you do, but what is important is whether it's within a normal range for a healthy pregnancy, which it clearly is for your gestation point, and whether it doubles between 48 and 72 hours, which you'll find out on Friday. Given what it is now, I am certain it will double within that time :)

If you are really worried about the progesterone, call your Dr back and ask if it seems too high. It can't hurt. But unless they were concerned when they called with your numbers earlier, I'd say you're definitely off to a great start with a healthy pregnancy.

And don't sweat being scared. I definitely was, and I think a lot of other women here were terrified at the same point you're at. Just take a deep breath, schedule your first prenatal visit, and try to do something relaxing and self-indulgent if you can (I bought ice cream bars, haha!). So far everything is good, and while it's perfectly normal to be worried, there is nothing specific to be worried about. Everything's going to be great :)

Our first baby!

FrostedFuji

Postby Duke27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you for your help, your a lovely person and youve made me a lot happier about this :)

Do you think that HCG level would corresponde with the early pregnancy test i got at 8/9dpo?

I have seen online some ladies go on to have successful pregnancies with levels at like 90 at my stage and I found a study online that said 100% of the women they did they study on that had 150 hcg at 4 weeks or over that went on to have a successful pregnancy.

Thanks again, should I just trust the doctor?
Duke27
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby tabathad » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:48 pm

My HCG at 5W6D was just over 11,000 so I think mine was a little on the lower end that I've seen most people. But I was able to see the HB anyway! So don't stress out. It's the doubling time that matters not really the number itself.

Also, it's WAY to early to see anything yet. In another week or 2 they should be able to :)
Me-34 - type 2 diabetic on insulin
DH-36

EDD - 2/26/2016 with our first!

tabathad
Friend

Postby Duke27 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:18 pm

That's really high isn't it?? If mine doubled until then wouldn't mine be less than that? Congrats on seeing the heartbeat :-) x
Duke27
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:56 pm

Since you don't start producing hcg until the egg successfully implants, I would say it's likely that an early implantation would lead to higher levels of hcg now. I don't know if there's any research done about exact point of implantation and hcg levels, but logically it makes sense to me.

I think you can certainly trust your doctor. If your progesterone is still high on Friday, I'd ask what s/he thinks about that, but again I would imagine that if there was a reason for concern they'd have told you already.

Our first baby!

FrostedFuji

Postby Yelibaby » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:54 pm

Duke, it's totally normal to not see anything at 4w. A thicken lining suggests that your body has detected a pregnancy. Your betas are fine, your progesterone is great!! Symptoms are normally present starting 6w, so you're fine. I've had 3 u/s so far, first one we saw nothing, I was barely 4 weeks, second one I was 5w+, only saw the sac and yolk, last u/s was at 7w+, saw my baby and heard the heartbeat.

Congrats on your pregnancy and enjoy!!!!
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.

BFP Feb. 15, 2015 - MC at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo)

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

Please be my rainbow baby!!
Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Yelibaby » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:55 pm

And for what its worth, look at my betas.
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.

BFP Feb. 15, 2015 - MC at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo)

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

Please be my rainbow baby!!
Yelibaby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Duke27 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:04 pm

Thank you :-) where are your betas?
Duke27
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby FrostedFuji » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:10 pm

They're in her signature, right underneath her ticker image :)

Edit: If you're here on a mobile device you probably won't see it, the mobile version of the forums tends to streamline things a bit and won't show signatures.

Our first baby!

FrostedFuji

Postby Mantis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Duke27 wrote:That's really high isn't it?? If mine doubled until then wouldn't mine be less than that? Congrats on seeing the heartbeat :-) x

Oh yeah. The range at 5 weeks is about max 7,000 so could indicate a dating error. Or indicating multiple pregnancies.
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Next

Return to First Trimester