Ultrasound showed 2 sacs?? Advice please?

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Ultrasound showed 2 sacs?? Advice please?

Postby corty12 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:13 am

Let me start off by saying I would be estatic if two babies were born. However here is what happened. I had no idea how far along I actually was due to a very weird cycle. My dr said 8 weeks and I just couldn't stand going another 4 weeks not knowing if my dr would have even agree to an ultrasound so I paid for one. Now this is one that they suggest 7 weeks plus. So I went in there not expecting too much at the same time expecting too much lol. Anyway she found 2 sacs. Apparently I was only 6 1/2 weeks along too early for her to see much more than the sacs without a transvaginal ultrasound, which they don't do. Then she proceeded to tell me 90% of women have 2 sacs and nothing becomes of the other one.. I was shocked and hurt because then my husband and mother in law basically wrote off baby #2. After doing some research I found what she said to not be entirely accurate. After all I had an early ultrasound with my son and had no other sac I know many that had early ultrasounds with no extra sac. So if I have never known anybody that has had an early scnext to have 2 sacs unless they were pregnant with twins how can it be 90%? Now with that being said she talked about vanishing twin syndrome and what not. I don't know what to think in my mind I can't write off one baby because she didn't see anything with either except the sac because it was just too early. So how can I sit here and pretend one baby is more there than the other. The other sac she did say was a little less prominent not a bunch or anything. What do you guys think?

corty12
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Ultrasound showed 2 sacs?? Advice please?

Postby Artemis » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:29 am

Congrats on your pregnancy! I'm sorry that this is happening but in a few weeks you'll be able to know for sure if there is a singleton or twins. It's hard to wait and wonder, but try to relax and enjoy being pregnant. Be thankful for a baby and open to multiples and it'll make time go by a bit faster :)

Can't wait for an update!!
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Laceyfitz13 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:01 am

I had an ultrasound when I was around 5 weeks pregnant with my daughter and there was only one sac. But there was also another dark area that looked like a second sac. One ultrasound tech said it was vanishing twin syndrome but it ended up being a subchoronic hemmorage, which two other techs said it was. No big deal, and it was gone by 15 weeks. I'd say wait it out, don't get your hopes up.
Laceyfitz13

Postby AmberESL » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Corty, did you ever find out if it was a second baby?
--Amber (Me: 32 DH: 31)
EvilSockLady on TTC boards
Welcoming Adelaide "Addie" June
Born January 19 -- 8lbs 11oz -- 21.5"
AmberESL

Postby corty12 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:33 pm

Yes I did sorry I'm just now seeing this. There is only one baby. My drs office said they saw no sign there was ever anything else there and thinks since we were dealing with someone inexperienced that they probably mistook it for something else.

corty12
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to First Trimester