First Tri Fatigue

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

First Tri Fatigue

Postby Mantis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:01 am

Hey ladies

I am experiencing some major fatigue and faint feelings. I am napping up to 2 hours a day plus my 9 hours at night and still feel exhausted. I am also just recovering from a bout of pneumonia where my fever was really high and I was convinced I was going to loose the baby. Normally I do take some naps when I have been very active, normally I am fairly active with walking, running, yoga and cycling but since the pneumonia and being PG I have been barely able to complete a full day.

Caffeine used to be my other way of powering through and I have obviously cut down to no more than 2 cups (not filter) per day.

My SIL says just to sleep and this is fine. Often I feel guilty about all the things I should be doing instead of being asleep (cleaning, cooking, laundry, university work)

Has anyone experienced overwhelming fatigue as their main symptom? If so did it end at 2nd tri?- my bbs are sore and I have cramps and a bit of nausea but I am finding fatigue the most debilitating symptom at the moment
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: First Tri Fatigue

Postby Artemis » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:26 am

I was just like you!! I did have nausea and food aversions but only threw up once from gagging on my tooth brush lol. My main symptom was extreme fatigue. It felt like a hangover exhaustion with a foggy head and dizziness. I too am an active girl, very athletic and have to be for my career as a personal trainer. I felt so guilty for canceling training sessions with clients and my group classes, letting the house get filthy, laundry piling up everywhere, not cooking, not working out, etc... I physically could not get up off the couch most days except to use the restroom. I slept for 10-12 hours a night, then would sleep another 4 with naps during the day. Sometimes I took up to 3 naps!! My husband wasn't around much during that time due to planting season on the farm happening, but he kept telling me what you sister is telling you, just to relax and sleep, so I did lol.

It was the hardest adjustment for me. I was so depressed and upset that I couldn't do the things I loved or keep my home Martha Stewart worthy, it was like that from about 5-9 weeks.. good news is that it got better and it will for you too. Around week 10 I started feeling much much better. I went back to eating, working out, work, cleaning the home, etc... Was I still tired? Yep, exhausted by 8pm but still loads better. Then around week 13 it's like BAM, I don't even feel pregnant lol! At 16 weeks I still feel pretty fabulous!

You'll get better sweetie, just rest and hang in there!! Listen to your body and give it what it needs :)
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby HighlandGamesGirlCO » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:19 am

Oh yes, first tri it was like pulling teeth just to make it to the washing machine to do a load of laundry, I was dozing on my way home from work, and all I wanted to do was sleep. I am a pretty active person as well so it was very annoying, but I took lots of naps. Started getting energy back around week 12-13. I am back in the gym now, doing my chores and hiking and everything. It will pass! Hang in there :)
Me (Lindsey) - 38
DH/love of my life - 44

"We are all atheists regarding most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

Fiona Jayne born 12/21/2015 - our solstice baby! 7lb 5.5oz 19.75"

It's a BOY! EDD Feb 16, 2017
Repeat c-section scheduled, Ciaran Reeves will arrive Feb 13, 2017!

HighlandGamesGirlCO
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby skye skye » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:11 am

Fatigue has always been one of my tell tale symptoms. This time around it's manageable, but I have my moments. Yesterday I was soo exhausted, bu the day before I actually managed to walk 2 miles (had to switch from running to walking).

Artemis - OMG at the gagging and puking from brushing your teeth...that happens to me!
Married 12-13-14
:bfp: 7-9-14 natural mc @ 5wks6d 7-19-14
:bfp: 1-18-15 EDD: 9-20-15
1st u/s 1-27-15: baby measuring 6wks2d :hb: 102bpm!!!
2nd u/s 2-17-15: No :hb:, baby stopped developing at 7.5 weeks-MMC - D&C 3/9/15
:bfp: 7-8-15 EDD: 3-13-16
beta#1 @ 23dpo=6720
beta#2 @ 25dpo=10521
u/s @ 6w1d :hb: 114!!!
u/s @ 8w3d :hb: 168!!!
u/s @ 12w4d NT scan great! :hb: 165!!!
u/s @ 14w6d TEAM GRAY!! (Ie: team blue sucks)
u/s @ 19w5d HEALTHY baby! :hb: 140
skye skye
Angel
Angel

Postby Fairy Wings » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:31 am

Yes fatigue was awful for me in the first trimester! I was so happy last semester was light course work because I was barely able to function through the fog. I actually nodded off in class once for the first time ever. Luckily my instructor knew I'm pregnant and didn't hold it against me. Good news though, mine completely reversed when the nausea all but disappeared at about 17 weeks. Now I have so much energy its ridiculous. I just went on a 3 week road trip and I only felt tired for a day when I first got to our high altitude destination. I'm making the best of this now because I hear the fatigue comes back somewhat in the third trimester.
Me: Jenna

BFP 3/27/2015 - 1st pregnancy

7/06/2015 18 w 2 d (measuring 18 w 6 d!) :babyb: IT'S A BOY! :babyb:

Fairy Wings
Star Member
Star Member

Postby 90Kat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:24 pm

First trimester was a kick in the ass, I was falling asleep through movies, leaving events early to nap, and when I wasn't sleeping I felt like laying in bed! It was a pretty huge change.
Sadly, I was struck by a bad bout of insomnia in my second trimester, my hips were spreading, my hands and arms constantly fell asleep and I got up to pee every two hours!
And now I'm in my third trimester. I wish to say it's gotten better, but now, my symptoms are only worse, with the added general feeling of malaise and extreme heavyness in my pelvis!!

The fatigue of pregnancy has been a huge killer, but hopefully for you, you will get that second trimester wind that helps you get your energy back!
90Kat
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Mantis » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:12 pm

It's getting worse. Some nights last week I could not stay awake past 7 or 8pm and that's with a 1-2hour nap during the day!!
Starting a new Clinical placement next week and very nervous about how I'm going to cope :s
Me: 31 (tests ongoing.. so far normal fertility)
DH:33 (male factor fertility: 20% motility)
Married 23/03/2013
TTC #1 since 1/2015
M/C @7w3d
Cycle 29 days. LP: 10 days
Supplements: Vitex, B6, Vit D, Prenatal Multi-Vit (Me), Menevit (DH)

Mantis
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby aboulanger » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:08 am

Between the extreme sleepiness and the constant nausea, I have literally been laying around like a log for the past few weeks. I just can't kick it and I have gained so much weight because of it. I'm hoping (but doubt it) that I will lose a little when I start walking in the evenings and moving around again. If this feeling ever passes. Woke up feeling slightly nauseas yet again.
#2 due 8/2017

DS- Colin Born 2/2016

aboulanger
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Mrsjvp » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:11 am

Omg I thought something was wrong with me.. I seriously feel like a train hit me. I'm fine at work just a lil drowsy but once I get home cook dinner & eat I feel like super tired. I have been in bed by 8pm my poor hubby just let's me sleep. I do wake up at 5:30, but I'm getting at least 2 extra hrs of sleep.
Mrsjvp
Friend

Postby niclet » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:29 am

I am riding this ship! I sleep for 1-2 hours a day for a nap then am ready for bed watching the clock at 8:00!! Once I fall asleep, I sleep well until about midnight, then I am up often peeing. I am SO tired. Some days driving my car is difficult. This is my 3rd baby and I was not this tired with my 1st two. I am literally a walking zombie! The nausea has eased up some so that now I only have spells that last an hour or so rather than all day 24/7...but the fatigue has not let up.
My DD at 11 weeks 3 Days. I love this US pic!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
niclet
Angel
Angel

Return to First Trimester