When can you get your first ultrasound?

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

When can you get your first ultrasound?

Postby TrebleLily » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:43 pm

How early do you go for your first ultrasound test? I am so eager to see something in there and have this feel real! I saw in another thread people talking about their 6 week scan. But does this mean 6 weeks from ovulation? Or 6 weeks from CD1 of your LMP? I know exactly when I ovulated and also exactly when I implanted since I was tracking everything and got clear signs. I've got my first Dr. appointment set up for this Thursday but I'm afraid she is just going to do a urine test to confirm pregnancy and then send me on my way without doing anything else and expect me to find a midwife and have them take care of it all. I don't know how long it will take to interview and choose a midwife... so I'm kind of nervous. Anyway, now I'm rambling... haha! So back to the point- when can you get the first scan and how is that date determined?
Me:31 DH: 46
DS: May 9,2016
Excited to be joining the 2 under 2 club!! Due Date November 1st

TrebleLily

Re: When can you get your first ultrasound?

Postby Artemis » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:40 am

For me, my doctor didn't schedule me until 8 weeks from my LMP. Most offices will go by the first day of your LMP unless you've been going through fertility treatments (iui, ivf, etc) He did that because anytime before that it's very possible not to be able to see the HB, and he hates worrying moms and repeating expensive tests for no reason! However, I have seen people go in at 6 weeks from their LMP and see a heart beat! I think anything before that you're likely to at least see a fetal pole and yolk sac to confirm a uterine pregnancy and rule out an ectopic. Some first visits just like to confirm pregnancy via in office urine and blood draws before they schedule a dating scan (first ultrasound).
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby TrebleLily » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks Artemis! That helps. :)

TrebleLily

Postby mandylgibbs » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:45 am

Mine was 6 weeks and 3 days BUT they went by my LMP and I didn't ovulate until CD 19 or 20. I did see a heartbeat and that was wonderful. Now though, I'm wishing I would have requested 2 weeks later because I read statistically if you hear a heartbeat at your 8 week u/s you have a 98% chance of a successful pregnancy.
Me 30, DH 28, DD- 14, DS-10, DD-3
Conceived using 100 mg Clomid on CD 5-9
BFP- July 31, 2015 - EDD- April 9, 2016
u/s 6w 4d - 145 bpm!! Measuring a few days behind * u/s 11w 3d- 158 bpm! Measuring perfectly * Doppler 15w 6d- 155 bpm*17w 2d- 148 bpm- IT IS A PERFECT BABY GIRL!! *Aspen Violet*19w 6d- 145 bpm-Anatomy scan. Measures in 76th percentile.*23w 6d- 150bpm-healthy,active baby girl.
mandylgibbs
Star Member
Star Member

Postby 2Prttyme+3 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:54 am

My previous ob did them at 8 weeks but now I'm overseas and have to see a doc on base and I've heard they wait until 12 weeks. I do have a hx of preterm labor, and insufficient cervix so I have be able to get in sooner
Me: Nyesha 30
DH: Lj 31
DS: Dontè 8
DD1: Kylee 3
DD2: Aryanna 19 months, and 13 months of ebf! Gold Boobies
DS2!: Giovanni Sean due 05/02/2016-- Born 04/14/16

2Prttyme+3
Angel
Angel

Postby TrebleLily » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:47 am

2Prttyme+3 wrote:My previous ob did them at 8 weeks but now I'm overseas and have to see a doc on base and I've heard they wait until 12 weeks. I do have a hx of preterm labor, and insufficient cervix so I have be able to get in sooner

I hope they make an exception for you and give your scan earlier than 12 weeks!

I was looking up online today the optional private pay 3D ultrasound clinics. They are a bit pricey, but I think I will be tempted to do it. I will save that one for around 20 weeks though so I can get awesome view of baby and all the souvenirs that go along with those packages. They record the heartbeat and put it in a teddy bear for you! Awww!

TrebleLily

Return to First Trimester