New Frer... grrr

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

New Frer... grrr

Postby JennMarie » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:02 pm

Hey everyone! I have been searching all over these boards and Google to answer my question without luck... so I'm hoping you all can help me out. I got my first faint bfp last Saturday on an ic. I then tested with an old style frer for the next few days and could see they were getting darker. I usually test until I beat the control, just for peace of mind. When I ran out of tests I went to get more... and every store I went to was sold out - except for the dreaded new curved handle ones. I figured no biggie since I know the line wouldn't be an evap. The first couple I took were slightly darker, but today when I expected the test line to beat the control, it actually appears lighter than the one yesterday. I immediately took another and this one matched the one from yesterday (matched the control line). What the heck? Is this a problem with the new frers, or do I have reason to worry? Thanks so much ladies!!
Me-34
DH-40

JennMarie
Star Member
Star Member

Re: New Frer... grrr

Postby JennMarie » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:40 am

Update: I went to every store I could think of until I found an old style frer... and I easily beat the control line. New frers are garbage! I definitely would recommend staying away from them!!
Me-34
DH-40

JennMarie
Star Member
Star Member

Postby mandylgibbs » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:46 am

Just keep in mind that urine pregnancy tests are not quantitative. So, each one is going to be different. It is definitely possible to beat the control on one and not another. I took the new curved handle ones and my second one was definitely darker about 5 days after my BFP which I got at 12 dpo.
Me 30, DH 28, DD- 14, DS-10, DD-3
Conceived using 100 mg Clomid on CD 5-9
BFP- July 31, 2015 - EDD- April 9, 2016
u/s 6w 4d - 145 bpm!! Measuring a few days behind * u/s 11w 3d- 158 bpm! Measuring perfectly * Doppler 15w 6d- 155 bpm*17w 2d- 148 bpm- IT IS A PERFECT BABY GIRL!! *Aspen Violet*19w 6d- 145 bpm-Anatomy scan. Measures in 76th percentile.*23w 6d- 150bpm-healthy,active baby girl.
mandylgibbs
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Ditto Mandy. The FRER can really only tell you if there's enough hormone present to constitute a pregnancy, and after a couple of weeks you'll start seeing the hook effect where they'll get lighter and lighter due to your hcg levels being too high for the frer to process.

If you're really that worried about your hCG levels, I'd call the doctor and ask for a blood test to make sure your betas are on track. The quantitative tests will provide you with much more conclusive answers than continuing to POAS :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby JennMarie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks for the response ladies. I understand what you both are saying, but in my past experience all of my tests have gotten slowly darker - not exactly quantitative, but comforting nonetheless :) The old frers were following this path, but the new one most certainly did not. It also wasn't the hook effect since my levels weren't quite that high - I had only gotten my first faint positive a few days before that. I actually dipped a new frer, old frer, and a clear blue digital in the same urine... with the old frer I beat out the control but not by much, clear blue digital said 2-3 weeks, and the new frer not only showed a faint positive that took 3 minutes to appear, but the line was all screwed up and spotty. The new frer from the day before was approaching the darkness of the control, although the line was also spotty. Maybe I just got a bad batch, but the new ones just seem... cheaper I suppose. I guess I'm just throwing this out there now so that if anyone else happens to be in the same boat, they won't have to worry as much as I did!
Me-34
DH-40

JennMarie
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ozzysgirl » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:28 am

The new frer are junk! Here is my old from yesterday vs new yesterday. ..
Me: Ally (28) :hb: DH: Austin (26)

5 Angels:
:angel: 1/06 chemical
:angel: 6/18/07 Dillen @ 42 weeks
:angel: 9/07 chemical
:angel: 12/12 early miscarriage
:angel: 7/15 chemical

:bfp: at 10dpo on 8/30/15

It's a BOY! :babyb:
Declan is due May 13!

ozzysgirl
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby baby#1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:00 pm

Omg I so agree thought it was me! I also found that with the new ones the more concentrated the lighter it is which is so not true with the old ones. I took an old one this Morning which was dark and a new one this afternoon and it was so light I thought levels were dropping! Re tested with less concentrated urine and it basically matches old test thank god. I def want to stay with old frers.
BFP#1 11/2012- MC :(
BFP#2 12/2013- MC :(
Me(20) Bf(25)
I got my BFP(3/16/14)!
:bfp: :sticky:
Beta #1:
HCG: 49.9

Progesterone: 33.85
Beta#2:
HCG:122
Progesterone 35
Aria nevaeh 11/23/14