Lack of appetite and feeling super full quickly

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Lack of appetite and feeling super full quickly

Postby TrebleLily » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:57 am

Ever since implantation I've had a significant decrease in my appetite. I just don't seem to get hungry. Of course, I'm making sure I still eat as I usually would even though my tummy isn't grumbling. But I find when I do, I feel super full really fast. If I eat all that I usually would anyway then I'm uncomfortable for hours. A bowl of salad that would usually satisfy me for a few hours then leave me going for snacks later in the evening, now stuffs me and makes me feel huge until bedtime. Snacking is now non existent (probably a good thing anyway). But I hate this feeling stuffed and uncomfortable every time I eat. Any advice? Anyone else experience this? I'm now 6weeks, btw and normal range BMI. No morning sickness (other than one episode), so it's not like I'm not wanting food because it's making me sick either.
Me:31 DH: 46
DS: May 9,2016
Excited to be joining the 2 under 2 club!! Due Date November 1st

TrebleLily

Re: Lack of appetite and feeling super full quickly

Postby Artemis » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:34 am

I had an extreme lack of appetite from 5-9 weeks. I never had any vomiting episodes either, just felt very hung over and nauseated all day, most days, so I was not hungry or eating much. It's normal! I lost 10lbs in a month from not eating a lot ,which again is not uncommon or unhealthy for baby since it's SO tiny at this moment it doesn't need a lot at all. So don't worry if you start to lose weight. Best thing right now is to stay hydrated, pregnancy can cause dehydration quickly! So even if you don't feel like eating make sure you are drinking at least half of your body weight in ounces of water daily (ex: I weight 130. Divide that by 2=65. I need to drink at least 65 oz of water daily). Cooler, watery foods were my go to: watermelon, cucumber, apples, celery sticks with PB for protein, bananas, and yogurt with fruit. I basically lived off of that for a month (and dry cereal!) and I slept ALOT! It will pass once you get closer to your second trimester, then you'll start eating regularly :) Take a good prenatal vitamin to support you while your appetite is weak!
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:13 pm

Also know that your digestion slows down while pregnant so your body can take all the nutrients it can from everything you eat! Even if you're not as hungry or eating as much, you're generally still okay. My appetite also decreased for a while before it came back until I had to start eating smaller meals, consequences of all my organs compressing I guess!

Artemis is right, take a good prenatal vitamin and stay hydrated. Both things will help ensure you and baby stay healthy, even if you're not hungry enough to eat as usual :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby 90Kat » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:55 pm

I don't want to be "that person" who brings that bad news, but not all pregnancies are alike, so while others were lucky enough to regain there appetite in the second trimester, some of us were not. I constantly had to remind myself to eat, or realize I was weak from not eating, I also couldn't eat any more then a snack or less to feel full! It was horrible and I lost weight up until my third trimester. I believe it was week 32? My advice to you, is to eat small plain snacks. Applesauce, granola bars, dried fruit, crackers, ect. Take advantage when you do feel hungry, but don't over do it. Take your prenatal, as suggested, but if your stomach is also weak like mine, take it with food, even If your not hungry. It will help the sick feeling the rest of the day. And drink lots and lots of water to help digestion. It's frustrating, but you'll be alright!! Good luck! And be willing to talk to your OB, sometimes eating can make you feel nauseous and you will think your just not hungry, you may realize the difference here soon, and your OB can help by prescribing an anti nausea or acid reflux medicine. It really does help!
90Kat
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby TrebleLily » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I think I'm going to just start eating much smaller meals, but maybe try to eat more frequently if I can. I hate that full uncomfortable feeling, so I think I'm going to give up on forcing myself to eat the amount I used to. I am taking a good prenatal vitamin, so that should help with making sure baby is getting enough nutrients no matter what. You've all reminded me to increase my water intake too! Need to keep that water bottle by me and drink it!
Me:31 DH: 46
DS: May 9,2016
Excited to be joining the 2 under 2 club!! Due Date November 1st

TrebleLily

Return to First Trimester