Midwife vs ObGyn

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Midwife vs ObGyn

Postby agonize » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Have you started looking for a doctor? Are you going with a ObGyn or Midwife?

I'm debating right now - will start to do some maternity tours and talk to some mothers for advice. Right now, I'm leaning toward midwife, mainly because I am generally afraid of the practical mannerism of a doctor/obgyn. I also don't know if I want a hospital resident or student help deliver the baby. I've heard many arguments that everyone has to learn somewhere and that most residents and students do a good job, but I'm just not that thrilled about someone around my age touching my baby. I have many friends who are doctors (graduated medical school and are now residents at hospitals -- they work long hours and some are not even interested in obgyn, but often they have to experience it as part of their resident rotation cycle).

Anyway, I'm happy to hear your thoughts on this topic.
Me--Sophia: 30, DH: 32
July 2015: chemical pregnancy
Sept 2015: BFP @ DPO 12;
EDD: 6/3/16
11w4d: :hb: 165 (doppler)
12w5d: :hb: 156 (ultrasound)
15w6d: :hb: 140 (doppler)
20w5d: :hb: 149 (ultrasound) It's a BOY!
agonize
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Midwife vs ObGyn

Postby casi7787 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:20 am

Midwife all the way. I had an obgyn with my daughter and it was a miserable experience. He scolded me for not accepting an episiotomy and swatted my hand away when I tried to touch my daughters head. He was a monster with an "I don't want to be here attitude". With my son I went for a midwife (nurse practitioner) who was amazing. When my son was coming out she told me to reach down under his arms and hold him and she actually let me finish delivering him and put him on my chest. I will never forget that. Her bedside manner was amazing and the entire atmosphere in the room was different. She also helped me not tear and never even suggested an episiotomy. With my daughter I tore all the way forward with the obgyn and she was tiny (6 lbs 12 oz), my son was a little bigger (7 lbs 3 oz) and I did not tear at all with the midwife.
Me-28
DH-38
Married-5/1/15
DD-8/2006 & DS-6/2008 (mine from a previous relationship)
DS-3/1995 & DD 11/2000 (DH's non-biological children he helped raise in a previous relationship)
Have his DD some weekends
MC-1/2006 (DD's wombmate/s-natural multiple pregnancy)
MC-9/21/2013 4-5 weeks
TTC#3-since wedding-DH's 1st

My Ovulation Chart

casi7787
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Artemis » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:43 am

Not all OBs are bad! Mine rocks! Super funny and laid back, but so kind and compassionate. He is from Egypt and I think that has a lot to do with how he sees child birth..he combines eastern medicine with modern western medicine which is exactly how I am! He supports my decisions on a natural birth, and I feel more comfortable knowing that if, the universe having, some situation arises and the baby or I are in distress where I need medical intervention he is right there and prepared to do so. So I guess it really depends on who you TRUST.. That's the key! Shop around a bit. It's perfectly ok to interview the doctor/midwife before you make any commitments to be under their care :)
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:17 am

It definitely depends most on what you're comfortable with.

I chose to go with a midwife because I thought there would be a lower likelihood of being pushed into more medical interventions that I didn't want. That does not mean all OBs will do this, but I was personally more confident that I could find a midwife to support my preferences for natural options in my area, plus more midwives than OBs are female and I'm just absolutely not comfortable with male doctors.

That said, I was also concerned because I do have a family history of preterm labor and premature births, and most midwives in the US will only take low-risk cases. Anything putting you at moderate to high risk will result in a referral to an OB - which could also mean having to start a new search and new relationship partway through my pregnancy, not something I wanted to go through. So I did a lot of searching and found a practice that houses both midwives and OBs, which allows the midwives to handle moderate-risk pregnancies with assistance if it's necessary, and also allows me to get to know the OBs in case something happens.

So my recommendation is midwife, unless you have medical concerns. If you can find a combination practice like I have, all the better. But if you think you may be at risk for a moderate or high-risk pregnancy, I'd consider an OB first to hopefully avoid needing to switch doctors partway through.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby agonize » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:22 am

Thank you for all the responses! That is definitely helpful. I'm definitely leaning more toward going with a midwife, especially because I do want a natural birth and like you said, I don't want to be pushed into making medical decisions on the spot.

I'm curious - when you go with a midwife, do you typically have fewer tests than if you go with an OB? For instance, would you still get the ab ultrasounds and be able to see your baby in your womb? Just wondering if there are any technological tradeoffs that I'd have to make if I were to go with a midwife.
Me--Sophia: 30, DH: 32
July 2015: chemical pregnancy
Sept 2015: BFP @ DPO 12;
EDD: 6/3/16
11w4d: :hb: 165 (doppler)
12w5d: :hb: 156 (ultrasound)
15w6d: :hb: 140 (doppler)
20w5d: :hb: 149 (ultrasound) It's a BOY!
agonize
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Return to First Trimester