Exercise & Fitness

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: jessm, B Michaelson, southernbelle, 1daysoon, reapage, maddy, TrebleLily, Honey Bunny, unaffected

Exercise & Fitness

Postby NewlyWed_Z » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Hello ladies,

I just yesterday got a BFP. I do crossfit and weightlifting / intense brief HIIT / cardio 6 days a week, though I stopped for the past week cuz I suspected I was having implantation and didn't do any research on what would be ok during this critical time (first trimester).

Any of you workout? In particular intense workouts? Any advice?

Thanks! x
NewlyWed_Z
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Exercise & Fitness

Postby Artemis » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:25 am

Congrats!!

From my experience, exercise did not have any problems for me. In fact, I was working out extremely intensely during what would have been the implantation period. I am a fitness instructor and was instructing (and still am at 30 weeks!) HIIT classes 5x week PLUS doing my own heavy lifting and cross training for a triathlon. So I was seriously working out twice a day for 6 days a week. Then I missed my period and surprise..BFP! I stopped my triathlon training but continued weight lifting and instructing HIIT classes (similar to insanity). At around 5/6 weeks the first tri exhaustion hit me so hard. I never had morning sickness but I was so incredibly fatigued and felt lousy in general (like a bad hangover) and scaled back on my fitness routine because of that. I maybe made it to the gym 2x week and remember canceling 2 or 3 classes a week or if I was instructing I would walk around more and coach instead of participating. It was like that until about 10 weeks. Then my energy shot through the roof and I was able to go back to my pre-pregnancy routine minus the triathlon training of course! My doctor was totally okay with it he just advised me to not start something new and do what my body is used to already. Basically if I was able to get pregnant during my exercise regime, I should be able to stay pregnant during the same regime. I had zero issues or scares so I felt blessed to be able to keep working out! I've been continuing to workout at least 4x week throughout my pregnancy and just made modifications along the way. It's getting difficult now that I'm in my 3rd tri but I just listen to my body and you will be just fine as well as long as you listen to yours. Rest when you're too tired, take it easy if your energy is low, and increase the intensity on days you feel good! It changes every day! Stay extra hydrated and get plenty of electrolytes, and the general rule of thumb is during pregnancy for every 1/2 hour of exercise, you need one full hour of rest/sleep so plan accordingly!

Congrats again!!
Me: 27 DH: 26
Married Dec '13

OUR FIRST BABY

BFP April '15
EDD: New Years Eve

WATER BROKE 12/1/15 @35+5 weeks. Trip was born via emergency c section after 12 hours of induced labor.

Born 12/1/15 at 7:45pm.
5lbs 13oz and 21 inches.
No NICU time. We are blessed!
Artemis
Star Member
Star Member

Postby FrostedFuji » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:48 am

General guidelines are that unless you're experiencing complications, there isn't too much need to change or reduce your regular exercise routine. Picking up something brand new is generally a terrible idea (for example, if you weren't previously into HIIT, you shouldn't start now!) but as long as you're feeling up to it and listening to your body, you should be okay :) Definitely check with your doctor when you go in for your prenatal appointments, though!

Also be aware of all of the changes your body will be going through and be prepared to monitor your exercise appropriately! As you progress with pregnancy, your abs will both thin out and separate, eventually rendering them far less effective than what you're used to, your ligaments will begin to loosen and relax, etc. Just be careful with your body as you go, pay close attention to your cues, and don't feel down on yourself for not being able to do what you "used to!" You'll be back there eventually :)
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Postby NewlyWed_Z » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks ladies!

I took the week off and told my Crossfit coach - he has experience with working with pregnant ladies so he said he'll show me the modifications for each class.

Everyone will wonder what's wrong with me though, so it may be an early reveal but I will definitely get back to working out - heck, with all these emotions, i need my exercise therapy back! :)

Thanks much again, ladies!! Xxx
NewlyWed_Z
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby beachmommy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:59 am

Congrats!

I see that you do crossfit and have your own exercise routine but I figured I would suggest these pregnancy workouts by Autumn Calabrese. They are great because they are exercises that are specific to each trimester and you know that what you're doing is safe! https://www.beachbody.com/product/bod/e ... ercises.do
beachmommy
Friend

Postby Honey Bunny » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:39 am

Hi there, totally fine to workout while pregnant if its something your body knows and has done prior to baby.. I worked out during my whole pregnancy not too long ago and kept a journal here..

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=264893&hilit=fit

I was doing T25 6x a week and walking daily. I was doing this program for 2 years prior to baby, so I was ok to continue i just had to follow the moderator when the belly got in the way, and skip and modify the high impact moves as I went..

Good luck and congrats!
Me: 27
DH : 53

Image IT'S A GIRL!Image
Claire Olivia
Born: July 17th, 2015

Baby # 2 EDD JULY 16th, 2016 - Team Green Again!

Honey Bunny

Postby DoraForman » Fri May 12, 2017 2:03 am

Fitness does not only refer to being physically fit, but also refers to a person’s mental state as well. Fitness matters a lot in our lives. People who are physically fit are also healthier, are able to maintain their most optimum weight. I am planning to adopt aélastique fitness from the internet to get a toned body. By becoming more active and fit, we can increase our body’s fitness levels and also avoid health problems.
DoraForman

Return to First Trimester