Concern... Ladies with previous ectopic pregnancies help!

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Concern... Ladies with previous ectopic pregnancies help!

Postby ksi0512 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:18 am

Hi ladies! I'm not sure exactly where to post this... So it's in two threads.

I am 4w3d today. Super super early.
I got my BFP on an FRER on Friday morning 12/4. That night I started having a pain lower on the right side of my pelvis. It felt like I was being pinched or stabbed from inside. If I laid down it would be more dull, but I felt it all night. The next morning it had mostly gone away. I definitely felt sore there though.
Ever since then, I have felt it off and on. I constantly feel an ache there that isn't typical for me. Sometimes it feels like the pinching/stabbing, sometimes it just feels sore like I pulled a muscle.

I did call my doctor and went in yesterday for a beta draw. My level was 230. She reviewed with the doctor and called me this morning. They'll do an ultrasound at my already scheduled appointment on the 22nd. And I'm going back in tomorrow for another beta. I felt reassured until the nurse said on the phone "But remember if it is localized on one side, that is more worrisome". THATS THE REASON I CALLED IN THE FIRST PLACE! Lol. She obviously hadn't listened during my previous call to her.
So then I told her it had only ever been on my right side. She then said "ok, see you in two weeks then" and hung up!

So... I need advice. I am trying to stay calm and understand it is 'probably nothing'. But I have seen my sister in law go through an ectopic rupture and I do not want that to happen. That's all I can think about. I have had no spotting or bleeding so far. So that is promising.
Can anyone give me advice or let me know if they felt anything similar? Good or bad news. I can take it. :)

Thank you so much in advance!
ksi0512

Re: Concern... Ladies with previous ectopic pregnancies help

Postby elohcin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:23 am

One of my miscarriages was an ectopic (and a severe rupture...mine was actually misdiagnosed otherwise we may have been able to save my tube), so I definitely understand your concern. It's a scary thing you don't want to mess with! In my opinion, 4w3d is probably on the early side for feeling the pain....I would bet it's more likely related to a corpus luteum cyst (very common). For me, once my ectopic was painful, I was about 8 weeks, and it was like severe gas pains in the center of my lower abdomen, and it didn't lessen or go away, and I was already spotting/bleeding as well. It was like stay hunched over or curled up, shaking kind of pain, and I wanted to vomit.

Do you know which side you ovulated from on this cycle? If you get ovulation pains, does it feel similar to that?
Me (30) DH (33) Married 12 years!
Mama to 4 in arms (ages 10, 8, 6, 3) and 11 in Heaven
Thanking God for a new little one coming our way in 2016!
elohcin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ksi0512 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:39 am

Thanks for replying!! I have never had ovulation pains or cysts before, so this is new to me. I also can't feel my ovulation, only ever have confirmed with OPK's and temps.

I think it's early too, but I've also read that if you catch it early it reduces chances of rupture and/or surgery. Ugh, I don't know if I should call back for reassurance or just go day by day. I can definitely feel the ache today, too. The nurse on the phone just seemed kind of like she was "uh... ummm... yeah... ok..." Like she either didn't care or didn't know what to say. Lol!
ksi0512

Postby elohcin » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:46 am

Yeah, it is difficult at this stage because they wouldn't be able to see much of anything on an ultrasound, although they could probably spot the cyst at this point, so it's almost TOO early. The corpus luteum cyst is common because it remains after the eggs is released and can often fill with fluid. They can be quite uncomfortable for some women, occasionally even downright painful especially if it ruptures.
elohcin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby alecita1987 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Are you still going for the 2nd beta tomorrow? Right now that's all they can do to identify if your HCG is rising appropriately. If it doubles in 48 hours then chances of it being a cyst or just some random stretching pain are greater than it being an ectopic.

They probably won't be able to see a gestational sac yet, whether it's in your uterus or not but like Elohcin said, they could definitely see if a cyst might be the cause of the problem. Even if you never develop cysts at all it's normal for some women to develop them during pregnancy and other than causing pain they're pretty much harmless as far as I know.

I've never had an ectopic but I've read a lot about it (due to mc history) and really how early each woman feels pain, starts bleeding or spotting and all that stuff varies. That's why doctors should be careful to diagnose the pregnancy before the woman starts showing obvious symptoms.
My mom had an ectopic more than 20 years ago and her first symptom was heavy bleeding early in the pregnancy. Everybody assumed that she had just had an early mc. She had a d&c just to be on the safe side and after that she kept bleeding for weeks. They literally had to take her to surgery to see what was going on (I guess back then ultrasounds where not that helpful) and they found the baby right there in her tube. She had to have her tube and ovary removed. I don't know how far along she was but she never felt any pain and her tube looked like it was about to burst!

I really hope this is not your case and that you can continue your pregnancy without issues. But if you're concerned and have a feeling that something might be wrong keep pushing to get the medical care you deserve. Good luck!
Me: 29, DH: 28
DS: 14 months old

BFP! 4/21/15 -> :angel: MMC @ 10w (6/6/15)
BFP! 10/1/15 -> DS born 6/9/16. My RAINBOW Baby!
BFP! 6/26/17 -> EDD 3/8/18 :sticky:

Ultrasound on 8/1/17 @ 8w5d :hb: 172 bpm

alecita1987

Postby Nick02 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Lurking from the ttc side. I had an ectopic and it was the worst experience of my life. I was about 5/6 weeks and the pain was so intense it woke me up and I couldn't walk. I was on all fours on the bedroom floor. I knew immediately something was wrong/not right. If the pain is minimal, hopefully it is just a cyst. If it gets intense go to the ER. I was able to get the Methotrexate shot. My tube was saved and two months later and HSG showed they were clear. Good luck!
Nick02
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby ksi0512 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:46 pm

Thank you guys for your response!
I did go in for my second beta today. They will hopefully call me by 5 today... I might call them just for peace of mind before the weekend!

Basically what I'm feeling today and yesterday was cramping. It feels like a pinch on my right side, and I never feel it on the left, maybe a 1 in pain on a scale of 1-10. What I felt before was probably a 4. So I am hoping that maybe this little one is implanted higher on my right side, and that's what I'm feeling. Or a cyst. But I live less than 15 minutes from the two of our local ER's, so that makes me feel better that I could be there fast if I needed to!

My pain hasn't been as bad as yours, Nick02. So that is reassuring for me.

11 days until my first prenatal appointment and ultrasound. Let's just hope the pain stays away and I can remain calm until my ultrasound! :) After that I'll feel SO much better.

Thanks again for responding!
ksi0512

Postby alecita1987 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:20 pm

ksi0512 wrote:Thank you guys for your response!
I did go in for my second beta today. They will hopefully call me by 5 today... I might call them just for peace of mind before the weekend!

Basically what I'm feeling today and yesterday was cramping. It feels like a pinch on my right side, and I never feel it on the left, maybe a 1 in pain on a scale of 1-10. What I felt before was probably a 4. So I am hoping that maybe this little one is implanted higher on my right side, and that's what I'm feeling. Or a cyst. But I live less than 15 minutes from the two of our local ER's, so that makes me feel better that I could be there fast if I needed to!

11 days until my first prenatal appointment and ultrasound. Let's just hope the pain stays away and I can remain calm until my ultrasound! :) After that I'll feel SO much better.

I think it's a good sign that the pain has decreased. I would assume that if it really is an ectopic that once you start feeling pain it won't get any better but actually worse since the more the baby grows in your tube the more pain you have.
Keep us posted and let us know your 2nd beta results :).
Me: 29, DH: 28
DS: 14 months old

BFP! 4/21/15 -> :angel: MMC @ 10w (6/6/15)
BFP! 10/1/15 -> DS born 6/9/16. My RAINBOW Baby!
BFP! 6/26/17 -> EDD 3/8/18 :sticky:

Ultrasound on 8/1/17 @ 8w5d :hb: 172 bpm

alecita1987

Postby elohcin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:34 pm

alecita1987 wrote:
ksi0512 wrote:Thank you guys for your response!

I think it's a good sign that the pain has decreased. I would assume that if it really is an ectopic that once you start feeling pain it won't get any better but actually worse since the more the baby grows in your tube the more pain you have.
Keep us posted and let us know your 2nd beta results :).

Ditto! By the time I felt any pain, it was already an 8cm mass in my tube (and it burst the next day). Glad you are feeling better about it!
elohcin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ksi0512 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:47 am

I'm feeling better today. Doctors office called last night and my beta yesterday was 645! It tripled lol.
ksi0512

Return to First Trimester