Spotting throughout first trimester

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Spotting throughout first trimester

Postby nicle30 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:23 pm

I'm looking for a little comfort. I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second baby. 2 weeks ago, I started to have brown spotting after a bowel movement. No cramps, no red blood. I had an ultrasound and everything looked great. Baby was measuring right on time and had a good heartbeat. They saw a small implantation bleed right above my cervix and thought that was the culprit of the bleeding. They checked my progesterone level which was also good. The spotting seemed to subside over the week but by the end of the week I was spotting again. No cramps, brown blood. Another ultrasound later, baby still looking good, HR 175, measuring right on track, implantation bleed resolved. Dr. thought maybe it was just the rest of the implantation bleed exiting my body. Then I continued to have brown spotting daily for the next week and I continue to have it now. I had my first real prenatal appointment on Monday and the baby still was looking good. The placenta is right over my cervix which is not necessarily a big deal at this point but my Dr. thinks this may be why I'm still spotting. I am so emotionally exhausted over this because I am in constant fear of miscarrying. Has anyone else had this experience? Did it go away? Stay your whole pregnancy? Anyone with this that went on the have placenta previa? Thanks for your attention in advance!
nicle30

Re: Spotting throughout first trimester

Postby nstraka » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:33 pm

I've had spotting at 6,9,11 and 12 weeks including clots at 12 weeks. Ultrasound at 13 weeks showed no issues. It's very nerve racking! But everything is ok. I also had the spotting after a bm. They think my cervix is just sensitive. Sounds like you are doing fine!
It's a girl! Surprised us and came 3 weeks early via c section. 6 pounds 5 ounces.
nstraka
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Wyattsmom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:46 am

I realize it's easier said than done but try not to worry. I had spotting off and on for 22 weeks and I'm now 37+ weeks and everything has been fine. This is my second pregnancy. I didn't spot at all my first pregnany. My doctor told me not to worry unless you see red blood. If the blood is brown there is nothing to worry about. Good luck to you! I will pray for a healthy pregnancy.
Wyattsmom
Friend

Postby FrostedFuji » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:34 am

I had a lot of spotting early in my pregnancy, from weeks 8 to 13. It started out brown for me, and by week 13 became bright red and very apparent when I was on the toilet - but never any other time. I was finally diagnosed with a cervical polyp which was removed at 13 weeks, and once that healed up I had no more spotting. My daughter was born almost 2 weeks ago, perfectly healthy and beautiful :)

Bottom line, if the ultrasounds are showing a healthy fetus, you should be fine. I'm willing to bet that the placenta over your cervix is what's leading to the blood, possibly just because your cervix may be a bit irritated. Regarding the previa, placentas move a surprising amount during pregnancy. This early, I wouldn't worry about it at all. Plenty of women are diagnosed with placenta previa much later in their pregnancies only to have it move out of the way by the time they reach full term.
Fuji: 28; H: 29

Our first baby!
Willow Del, born at 37,5 on 12/8/15
5 lb, 7.5 oz; 18.25" long
Former code name Little Jedi

FrostedFuji

Return to First Trimester