Line darkness? No symptoms

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Line darkness? No symptoms

Postby Beachbum » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi everyone... I am new here and looking for some reassurance. Had a miscarriage at 7 wks before becoming pregnant with my daughter who is now 17 months. I got a BFP on 12 dpo and have tested 3 other times, most recently today at 20 dpo on frer and the test line has become progressively darker but is still not as dark as the control. I have no pregnancy symptoms and had a TON of m/s with my daughter starting the day after my BFP where I couldn't even drink water. Please tell me your thoughts! Trying to rely on my faith but having a hard time getting excited about this pregnancy until I know for sure!
Beachbum
Friend

Re: Line darkness? No symptoms

Postby elohcin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:42 pm

What time of day are you testing? I have always tested darker in the evening, as opposed to the morning. Another possibility is that you missed the "threshold" and you need slightly more diluted urine now to actually see a darker line (higher hCG can sometimes show up as a lighter line after a certain point). Of course, then there is always the fact that some women never reach the darkness of the control line, for whatever reason.

I know people say the darkness of lines doesn't matter, but from one miscarriage mama to another, I completely understand your concerns! For me, my pregnancy test lines have always been very accurate indicators of the outcome of my pregnancies, so I watch those lines like a hawk. But I know plenty of women who's pregnancy success seem to have no correlation whatsoever to the appearance of their lines.
Me (30) DH (33) Married 12 years!
Mama to 4 in arms (ages 10, 8, 6, 3) and 11 in Heaven
Thanking God for a new little one coming our way in 2016!
elohcin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby alecita1987 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:43 pm

How far along are you? As in how many weeks and days?

I understand your concerns but I think the best advice I can give you right now is to relax and wait to see what happens. There's really no way to determine the outcome of a pregnancy just by the darkness of a line on a HPT. Unless the line is getting lighter (which could indicate a chemical pregnancy), there's really not much to worry about. Also, it's not a good idea to compare pregnancies based on symptoms or HPT progressions. Always remember that every pregnancy can be different and still be normal.

From personal experience, I can tell you that I had a very nice progression and beat the control line early on with my first pregnancy. Little I knew that two weeks later my baby would die and that I wouldn't find out till I was 10w along!
With my current pregnancy, I didn't beat the control line till I hit the 5w mark. The late BFP (at 12-13 dpo) and slow progression scared me to death. I never though I would be sitting here today being 16w pregnant with a healthy baby. So like I said before, as hard as it is the best thing to do is wait and see; you never really know how things are gonna turn out after all :).
Me: 29, DH: 28
DS: 14 months old

BFP! 4/21/15 -> :angel: MMC @ 10w (6/6/15)
BFP! 10/1/15 -> DS born 6/9/16. My RAINBOW Baby!
BFP! 6/26/17 -> EDD 3/8/18 :sticky:

Ultrasound on 8/1/17 @ 8w5d :hb: 172 bpm

alecita1987

Postby Beachbum » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Thank you for your responses. I am 4 weeks 5 days and have been testing all along with FMU. I was excited to see a darker line this morning but discouraged when it wasn't as dark as the control. I am tempted to test again tomorrow but fearful of being disappointed again. I have an early appt with my doctor next week (1/5) so hopefully I can get some answers then. Thank you again for responding and for your sympathy and congrats on your current pregnancy!
Beachbum
Friend

Postby starlette11 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:23 pm

How did your appt. go?
Me ~Lori
DD (11)
DD (10)
DD (7)
DS (5)
LMP 11/25/15, blighted ovum
starlette11
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby adsloan10 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:03 am

That shouldn't make a difference. Each test has a different amount of dye on the strip so they may never get darker than the control. Yours don't appear to be getting lighter from what it sounds like which is a good thing!!
Andrea

DD1 - 3/5/2007
DD2 - 9/10/2011
DD3 - 8/29/2012
DS - 10/29/2014

Baby # 5 Due 9/7/2016!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker

adsloan10

Postby Beachbum » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:04 pm

I had a beta drawn on (5 weeks 4 days) and it was 4676. Had a 2nd drawn yesterday (5 weeks 6 days) and am waiting on the results. But based on the 4676 I learned that the darkness of the lines on the HPT really do not carry too much weight as long as they get darker. I drove myself crazy over it but stopped testing at 21 dpo.
Still have minimal pregnancy symptoms except mild nipple soreness and VERY irritable. I'll post again when I know the results of the 2nd beta.
Beachbum
Friend

Postby Beachbum » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:58 am

2nd beta came back at 5741. I was totally bummed and convinced I was going to miscarry. Had an ultrasound today which showed a normal embryo and strong heartbeat!!! Fingers crossed that the rest of this pregnancy continues normally!
Beachbum
Friend

Return to First Trimester