BFP after early miscarriage, but spotting brown discharge

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

BFP after early miscarriage, but spotting brown discharge

Postby dottylu » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:57 am

Hi everyone
:)
Today I am 15dpo. I got BFP tests at 13dpo, 14dpo and today, but this morning when I woke up I found brown discharge. I have seen a small amount of spotting on the tp when I wipe this morning as well. I think this can be normal, but after my m/c I am totally freaking out. With the m/c, I had bright red blood that increased in volume rather quickly, so this is different, but I am still freaking out.

Did anyone have a BFP, then brown spotting, and go on to have a healthy pregnancy?

Thanks ladies
<3
dottylu
Friend

Re: BFP after early miscarriage, but spotting brown discharg

Postby haven12 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:04 am

Brown spotting is most likely just from implantation blood that's just now coming out. I wouldn't be concerned unless if turns red and there's a lot of it. With my son, after I had my 8 week ultrasound (which was great), my Dr told me that there was some old blood in my uterus and not to be worried if it came out and that it would be brown. It never did but apparently it's very common for it to. Try not to worry, although I know it's hard not to.
haven12

Postby alecita1987 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:17 am

I didn't have any brown spotting but did bleed bright red blood when I was 5 1/2 weeks. I refused to get an U/S at the moment as I knew it was probably too early to see anything, but had betas dones and through my doubling HCG was reassured that baby more than likely was ok. I then had my first U/S at 8 weeks and like the lady above I also had blood accumulated in my uterus that never came out. My progesterone was low so I was put on supplements which helped with the bleeding as well.
So spotting or even bleeding is not always a bad sign. At this point so early in the pregnancy, if you wan't some piece of mind, you could ask your doctor to do a couple of betas (48 hours apart) to make sure its increasing just fine.
Me: 29, DH: 28
DS: 14 months old

BFP! 4/21/15 -> :angel: MMC @ 10w (6/6/15)
BFP! 10/1/15 -> DS born 6/9/16. My RAINBOW Baby!
BFP! 6/26/17 -> EDD 3/8/18 :sticky:

Ultrasound on 8/1/17 @ 8w5d :hb: 172 bpm

alecita1987

Postby LK44 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:47 am

I had a similar situation. I had a miscarriage in December but actually never bled by the time I had my d&c. I had brown spotting for about a week when I found out I was pregnant at 12 dpo and then another week of brown spotting at 5 weeks. I had an ultrasound done early and they couldn't find any evidence of active bleeding. I'll be 9 weeks tomorrow and everything looks fine so far. Saw a heartbeat at my 8 week ultrasound. If you're worried, I agree that you could get betas done and also ask for your progesterone levels as low progesterone could cause spotting. Good luck!
LK44

Postby dottylu » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:41 pm

Thank you SO much for replying. Your posts have calmed me down a lot.
The brown spotting is less today but I am having some, what looks like, powdered blood (sorry TMI) in the toilet when I pee -- looks like dried up old blood if I had to guess, like tiny specs of it like sand almost, so I am trying to remain calm that I'm still in the realm of "old blood" and not "bleeding." (hopefully.)

But I am taking your advice and going to get bloodwork tonight at my general since I can't get into my OB until tomorrow. Then at least I can get another draw Friday and have two that are 48 hours apart.

Thanks again for sharing your stories with me and I will DEFINITELY update this post!!
dottylu
Friend

Postby dottylu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:37 am

Just to update, last night at the Dr my urine test was negative but when I came home I got a positive HPT. I did a lot of googling and it seemed like a common thing and so I felt a lot better. They did take blood too that will come back today.

But I woke up this morning with more blood, and my line on FRER has all but disappeared, so I know that it's happening again. I just feel really really sad.
dottylu
Friend

Return to First Trimester