Different HCG levels with each pregnancy?

Anything pregnancy-related can be discussed here

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily, admin_fertilityfan

Different HCG levels with each pregnancy?

Postby BeeCee33 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 am

Hi ladies, I'm just wondering if anyone has had a decent difference in HCG levels with different pregnancies? If so, were your symptoms less severe with lower HCG?

I have not had betas drawn for either pregnancy, but I was comparing some of my tests from this pregnancy with my last one (yeah I'm a weirdo and still have them lol) and it got me thinking I might have lower levels this time and therefore might have less nausea and vomiting. I had hyperemesis with my last pregnancy and it was terrible.

Here are some of the tests. Wondfos at 19 dpo.
IMG_20170228_102850.jpg
IMG_20170228_102850.jpg (149.05 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

And frer/answer at about the same darkness, but different dpo's for each pregnancy.
IMG_20170228_102651.jpg
IMG_20170228_102651.jpg (115.88 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

So what do you think, is there hope that I might stay out of the hospital this time?
Me: (Becca) 31, DH:36

Henry James born 7/27/15
BeeCee33
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Different HCG levels with each pregnancy?

Postby kandl724 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 pm

Hey Becca, i don't know much at all about this but just wondered, are you completely sure of your O date on your current pregnancy? If not I just thought maybe the lines are appearing lighter compared with your last one because you might not be as far along as you thought? I don't mean to be discouraging I really hope you are right on schedule & hopefully it does mean you won't have as bad of a time with the morning sickness. I can't even imagine how awful it must be, somehow I ended up getting through my pregnancies without too bad a time even though my mom had HG with me! Maybe it's because I haven't had a girl though! Anyways, best of luck with it!
Me: Krista 31
DH 34
DS1 5
DS2 2.5
MC 11/20/16 at 10 weeks
DS 3 due Oct 8th 2017!
kandl724
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby erin860 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:30 am

Hi, my pregnancy tests were much lighter at the same DPO ( and I am sure of the DPO because I was temping) then with my first pregnancy. With my first pregnancy I had super dark tests and no morning sickness at all. With my second the tests were much lighter and I was so sick. I really think every pregnancy is different so I wouldn't automatically assume that you are going to be sick again. My sister-in-law was on prescription medicine because her morning sickness was so bad with her first and then she had no morning sickness with her second. I have heard that you are more sick with girls than boys but she had two girls and when I was not sick with my first I had a girl. I hope you're not sick this time and you can enjoy your pregnancy.
erin860

Postby BeeCee33 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks ladies. Yes, I'm positive about when I O'd, as I was charting both BFP cycles. I'm just grasping at any hope I can find because I'm so scared to be that sick again. There were days, even on multiple medications, that reading, watching TV, and even walking around made me throw up and I spent literally the whole day laying on the bathroom floor. I just can't imagine trying to care for my toddler through that, not to mention the time I spent in the hospital every few weeks getting it under control again. I have a different doc this time and he's not concerned at all, but I feel like he doesn't understand how bad it was. I'm hoping if it gets like that again, he'll consider putting in a pic line so I can at least have a steady supply of meds and fluids if needed.

Henry James born 7/27/15
BeeCee33
Addicted
Addicted

Postby MargaretandCo » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:21 am

Becca congrats!! I don't know if you will see this as I see the original is a few days old, but as somebody else said my hcg was lower with my second and the sickness was worse than with my first, where I had extremely high hcg...both were boys. I am currently 10 weeks with our rainbow babe and again my levels are quite high, yet sickness has been minimal. I really don't buy into the whole girls cause worse sicknesses than boys, as I know many who had horrible sickness with their boys and nothing with their girls. I really think it's just the way individual bodies react to pregnancy.

As for the sickness I have some new insight that may help you out! We switched to a new doctor this time as I needed a dr to be on my side in regards to morning sickness and not brush it off like my last dr did. Anyways he suggested that most women who suffer from extreme sickness during pregnancy have a bacteria called h pylori in their systems, which reacts negatively with hcg. The hcg basically causes this bacteria to flourish in the gut, causing excessive symptoms. Their are tons of mom blogs out their that discuss h pylori and hyperemisis, and what kind of natural treatments you can do to control it. It's nothing crazy, mainly just adding lots of good bacteria to your gut to help fight off the bad h pylori, using coconut oil, apple cider vinegar and probiotics. I've been using those three this time, and have gone from vomiting 20 times a day to only twice a day, and good lord what a relief it is!! It all could just be coincidence that my sickness has slowed, but it might be worth looking into if you don't want to go down the miserable route again.

There is also a line of products called the pink stork on Amazon that was created by a female doctor who suffers from hyperemisis and it appears to have great reviews.

Good luck and happy and healthy 9 months to you :)
MargaretandCo
Friend

Postby BeeCee33 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Margaret that is so good to hear! I actually just learned about h pylori back in November when my dad said his doctors discovered that was the cause of his terrible heartburn and frequent upset stomach. I looked up info on it and found there was a connection to morning sickness, but haven't followed up with my doc. I wasn't aware there were ways to treat it without strong antibiotics. I'm definitely going to look into that!

Henry James born 7/27/15
BeeCee33
Addicted
Addicted

Postby BeeCee33 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:15 pm

Also can you explain how you've incorporated those things into your diet? Like dosage? We do use coconut oil in a lot of our cooking. Are you taking a probiotic, or just trying to eat lots of yogurt and things like that?

Henry James born 7/27/15
BeeCee33
Addicted
Addicted

Return to General Pregnancy Board