apologies in advance for the bizarreness of this post....

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

apologies in advance for the bizarreness of this post....

Postby Oshun » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi, I'm new here.
I just got a positive pregnancy test about 5 days ago, but I have so many questions.

My story, in a nutshell: I'm 46. I've been pregnant once before -- I got pregnant at 18, the very first time I had sex, and my then partner used the pull out method. I went on to have a healthy pregnancy and baby.

Since then I've not been or tried to be pregnant again. I've never been on the pill or used an iud or any form of contraception aside from condoms. Periods as regular as clockwork, on a 28 days cycle. No period pains or issues of any kind.

I started a new relationship a few months ago. On 23rd and 24th November we had sex using the pull out method. As it turns out I would have ovulated on either the 23rd or 24th. I don't want to get too TMI, but he 'finished' very close to my vaginal opening area. While trying to clean up I actually ended up transferring semen slightly into my vaginal opening. I didn't think too much of it.

About 10 days later I began getting what seemed like pregnancy symptoms. My breasts were swollen and insanely painful, I felt sick in the mornings and was having intense mood swings. I tend not to really get any PMS symptoms so this seemed unusual. 12 days after the possibly unsafe sex, I did a home pregnancy test and it was positive (very dark line). But later that day I started my period! (This came about two days earlier than my period was due). The period was very light for me. I also experienced really quite painful cramps or sort of pressure in the uterus for two days (bad enough to be difficult to sleep). I never ever get menstrual cramps, so this was unusual. The period lasted 4 days approx and was much, much lighter than any period I've had, but nevertheless it was enough bleeding to be noticeable in a pad.

The bleeding's now finished. Did another pregnancy test -- positive again. But what on earth with the 4 days medium-to-light bleeding? Now that the "period" is over, my breasts are even more swollen and tender. The other thing is my skin looks strangely clear and glowy.

I really have no idea what is going on. I am going to the Early Pregnancy Unit at the hospital on Friday.

Has anyone experienced anything like that?

Also, when we used the pull out method that day/night, we used it 3 times in the space of 24 hours. I've since read that it's only effective if you use it just once per day?
Oshun

Return to First Trimester