4 weeks, red spotting. Help!

Congrats on on your pregnancy! Cramps, Morning Sickness, Food Adversions! Share your first trimester experiences here.

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, TrebleLily, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy

4 weeks, red spotting. Help!

Postby Metope » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:55 pm

I'm 4 weeks and 4 days along. Yesterday I had some light brown spotting on and off throughout the day, but I didn't think anything of it as I know that's normal.

This morning I woke up, and I immediately had bright red spotting, with the runny consistency of normal blood you get from a cut anywhere on your body. I freaked out, because I know red blood is cause of alarm. It only lasted for a little while, and it barely stained my liner. I convinced myself it was fine, since it was so little and stopped suddenly.

A couple hours later, I had a bm (TMI, sorry!), and a dark red blood clot came out at the same time. There's been no other spotting or bleeding, but I'm freaking out here. The amount of blood - between the brown, bright red, and dark red clot - is really small, but the colors are making me worry so much. I have no cramping, and my other pregnancy symptoms are still present (tired, sore boobs, feeling a little queasy).

I can't go to the doctor because I'm currently between insurances. My workplace switched to a new plan which on paper started Jan 1st, but the insurance company are severely behind and I won't be registered in their system until mid-February. Horrible timing!

Has anyone been through something similar and been fine? This is my first pregnancy, I've had no miscarriages that I know of previously, and I'm 29 years old. I just hope this is normal.
Metope
Friend

Re: 4 weeks, red spotting. Help!

Postby Metope » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:11 am

Update: it’s been almost a day, and while I had no more spotting yesterday, it came back this morning. I slept with a pad, which was clear when I woke up, but as soon as I went to the bathroom there was a little bit of old, brown blood. I put on a liner, and it got a small stain in it before it stopped.

Went to the bathroom again a couple hours later, and now there’s orange-y blood with a couple dark brown lumps (wouldn’t call them clots) when I wipe. Still no cramping though.

I usually end up sleeping on my stomach during the night, could it be that doing so “pushes” gunk out? I’ll see how it progresses today and if it comes back tomorrow, but I’m still worried.

Has anyone else only had spotting in the morning?
Metope
Friend

Postby Metope » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:14 am

Okay, I guess no one’s going to reply so I’ll just keep this is a log for myself now. Had another bm last night with a following small amount of dark red blood with a clot, stopped right after. Nothing during the night, and then again this morning I had a similar experience to last morning, followed by another bout of thick dark red blood w/small clots a couple hours later. Seems to have stopped for now. My pregnancy symptoms are getting stronger though: I’m really nauseous and my sense of smell is through the roof. Boobs are less sore than they were, but still sore.

I don’t understand why I keep spotting only in the mornings and during bm’s. And the dark red color and the occasional clot scares me to death. It’s so little though, only ever makes it to the tp when I wipe, hardly anything on my liner or in the toilet bowl.
Metope
Friend

Postby johnnyswifey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Sorry no one has responded to you!! Maybe they want to refrain from posting negatively. I had the same issues in my last two pregnancies and it didn’t turn out good at all. But everyone is different. There are ladies with worst bleeding and still go on to have a healthy pregnancy. I am praying for you as I know how you’re feeling right now.
Are you okay?? Did you bleed today??
Mr. & Mrs. Evans
Hubby- 32
Wifey- 31
2 Angel Babies
johnnyswifey

Postby Metope » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:08 am

Hi, thanks! I’ve been googling non-stop and getting all kinds of answers, everything is still up in the air. I’ve been bleeding every day since Sunday, and there seems to be a pattern: a little, old blood in the morning, followed by about a table spoon’s worth of dark reddish-brown blood with minor clotting during bowel movements a couple hours later. Then nothing all day. My pregnancy symptoms are coming and going, but none are getting worse (who knew I’d one day hope to be nauseous!).

I did actually go to an OBGYN yesterday, he couldn’t give me any definite answers, didn’t do an ultrasound as it’s too early, but he measured my hcg levels through a blood test and I’m going back tomorrow for another test to see if my levels are doubling as they should.

I’ll write another update once I get my blood test results!
Metope
Friend

Postby Metope » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:57 am

Quick update though: While there was some spotting today too, it was significantly less than the previous days. One of the things I’ve been reading is that some women experience a period-like bleeding at 4, 8 and 12 weeks due to hormones not giving your body the proper cue to stop it with the periods already. I’m hoping that’s the case for me, if I hadn’t taken a pregnancy test I probably would have thought this was a super weird, late and light period. My MIL actually had that happen while pregnant with my husband, she didn’t know she was pregnant until week 10 because of it. Here’s hoping the spotting is fizzling our and everything’s ok!

Fingers crossed for an answer either way after my appointment tomorrow. Being in limbo like this is nerve wracking.
Metope
Friend

Postby Metope » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:34 pm

Sad update: My levels went from 64 two days ago to 13 today, so it's definitely a miscarriage.This was my first time being pregnant, and we weren't actually trying, but when I got the bfp I was so happy! It's so weird, how I went from not really thinking about having children to getting a positive test, and now it's all I can think about. Hopefully it won't be difficult for us to conceive again.
Metope
Friend

Return to First Trimester