heart palpitations?

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

heart palpitations?

Postby violetteskys » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:29 am

this is really really scarin me! for about a week now iv been gettin heart palpitations - llike my hearts goin way to hard or skippin a beat and even takes my breath away :( when im not even doin anything! it can start even if im just layin down or sittin sometimes standin but i usually just notice it at night. it lasts for a long time and i have an appt on wednesday so i have to wait 5 more days..

i want to know if this is normal - is anyone else havin this or is it dangerous or what? i can hardly sleep whenn it happens cuz im freaked out! sorry if its dumb question but its my first pregnancy.
violetteskys

Re: heart palpitations?

Postby god_promise » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:08 am

I had heart palpitations when I was 7 weeks along. It is a scary experience! I went in, my Doc checked me out and even did an EKG which came back normal.
They said it's totally normal to have heart palpitations during pregnancy. I was told to try and reduce my stress level-which helps a lot. I haven't had it since. According to my doctor it's not dangerous to you or the baby. But it's important to get checked out just to make sure there's no other underlying health issues.
god_promise
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Kmm2012 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:57 am

My doc said to try and cut out caffeine, I still get them every now and then but like god promise said, try to reduce your stress. I know it's hard- you're making a baby what could be more stressful. I still stress,but I'm getting better. Hope you feel better soon and if they found nothing on EKG I am sure you are fine. Lots of women get them and if you had them before they could get a little worse with all the blood you're pumping during pregnancy.
Katie 29, DH 30
Khloe Rose born 01/04/14 @636 pm
Kmm2012
Angel
Angel

Postby beckyrae88 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:29 am

Oh yes! I had these bad with my first pregnancy. I know how you feel, it's kind of freaky when it happens because it's such an odd sensation and it does feel like it's taking your breath away. My doc told me it was completely normal because your heart has to pump out something like 40% more blood than usual to keep up with the demands of the growing baby and sometimes it just skips a beat. I had this happen again this pregnancy once, so I know I'm probably in for a lot more.
Me: 29
DH: 32
DD: 10
DS: 3
#3 Due Septemer, 5 2017
beckyrae88
Addicted
Addicted

Postby stankoreavis » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:36 am

I am so glad someone posted this, because the first time I felt them was probably around 10wks along and really freaked out. I always get them when I lay down and it sounds like my heart takes a break for a beat... Its only ever when I am nearly horizontal.

So I also asked my midwife and she said the same as what everyone else is saying about having the extra blood volume now, she said for tachycardia with palpitations that squats help, you have to get as low as you can to the ground. Of course mine aren't like that so I just have to deal with it.

I always have had anxiety and have been somewhat of a hypochondriac so when I felt that at first I thought I was a goner... haha
Lindsey (me): 28
Joel (DH): 30

BFP: May 19th, 2013 Our First!
Elective scan on August 16th, 2013 @ 16 weeks shows we are having a baby BOY!
EDD: January 30th, 2014
stankoreavis
Friend

Postby Lillizzy85 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:10 am

Pretty normal, I would let your ob know though. As it could be anything. I would cut out caffeine and drink more water till then.
Me 30 dh 38
DD1 7
DD2 2

Lillizzy85
Star Member
Star Member

Postby bazil323 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:20 am

It's already been said that it's pretty common for women to start having heart palpitations or feeling like their heart is pounding, because due to the extra blood volume your heart has to work a little harder to circulate the blood. I had heart palpitations off and on (rarely though) before pregnancy, and I knew it was a possibility that they may come more often, so I wasn't surprised when they happened a few times (all in second tri though).

However, I'd still mention it to your midwife or OB just to be certain because you could have an underlying heart problem that just hasn't been noticed before. It's unlikely and very rare, but they will likely want to do an EKG to get a baseline of what your heart is doing & then listen to your heart at every visit to make sure you don't have a murmur or anything like that.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby justlooking » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:48 pm

I have had heart palpitations with all of my pregnancies, it is scary and like you said, it takes your breath away! The midwives always just told me it's normal during pregnancy, it can also be a sign of anemia. I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and thankfully ive only had it happen a few times so far.
justlooking
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby StaceFace » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:16 am

stankoreavis wrote:I am so glad someone posted this, because the first time I felt them was probably around 10wks along and really freaked out. I always get them when I lay down and it sounds like my heart takes a break for a beat... Its only ever when I am nearly horizontal.

So I also asked my midwife and she said the same as what everyone else is saying about having the extra blood volume now, she said for tachycardia with palpitations that squats help, you have to get as low as you can to the ground. Of course mine aren't like that so I just have to deal with it.

I always have had anxiety and have been somewhat of a hypochondriac so when I felt that at first I thought I was a goner... haha

I know you posted this a super long time ago, but in case you still check in from time to time, I also tend towards anxiety and hypochondria and read online somewhere that people with anxiety are more prone to palpitations and dizzy spells in general in life - pregnant or not! FYI! :)
Stacy: 32 Hubby: 33

Mom of two boys: 4 & 2.5 (they are SO much fun!)

Pregnant with #3! EDD: 06/29/14 - another BOY! YIPPEE!!!! :)
StaceFace
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Second Trimester