Small Breasts

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Small Breasts

Postby TurtleMomma » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:59 am

I guess this question is more for the already mommas, but any insight any of you have will be much much appreciated.
I started out as a very small A cup. While my breasts have filled out slightly and are really sore to the touch they haven't grown. They are definitely not as large as I thought they would be by now.
Of course this makes me worry about them being large enough when my milk comes in and will they produce enough for my nugget.
If any of you smaller chested ladies, or those who have had friends/family in similar situations have any reassuring information or realty check information for me I would greatly appreciate the feedback.
God Bless!
Me - 33
DH - 34
Married - 5/5/2012
TTC - 5/2013

1 Angel baby, MC 6/11/2013
1 Turtle Kid, BFP 8/29/2013

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
TurtleMomma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Re: Small Breasts

Postby Laurina » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:54 am

I am a AA not pregnant. By the time I was hugely pregnant, I was maybe a C cup at best. I was able to adequately breastfeed my baby. I don't think your breast size has any correlation with being able to or not being able to nurse.
DH: 29
Me: 27
DD 10/30/2011
Laurina
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby beckyrae88 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:18 am

With my first pregnancy I started out as a small B cup and by 9 months pregnant they were a small C cup, once my milk came in they went up to a small D cup. They stayed a C cup after breastfeeding was done. I definitely had enough milk to breast feed. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be just fine in that department. You'll have milk jugs in no time ;) lol
Me: 29
DH: 32
DD: 10
DS: 3
#3 Due Septemer, 5 2017
beckyrae88
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Cookie911 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:27 pm

I was an A cup before my first pregnancy. They grew and when my milk came in I was a DD. settled at a c after weaning and am now a d at 22 weeks pregnant. You'll be fine!!
Cookie911
Star Member
Star Member

Postby MommaMac » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:00 pm

I'm a B while not pregnant and after my milk comes in, I'm a big C and had no problem breast feeding my son. Not long after I stopped, poof, right back to a B, how disappointing! My good friend is a small A and when her milk came in she was a big C, also had no problem bf her dd.
ME - 30
DH - 30
DS#1 - Sept 16, 2009
DS#2 - Jan 12, 2014

MommaMac
Star Member
Star Member

Postby TurtleMomma » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:38 am

You ladies are all soooo wonderful! Thank you so much for the reassurance!
I know it probably sounded like a dumb question to many of you but my mom struggled with her milk supply and while I physically don't take after her I started to worry when my breasts weren't growing.
It means so much to have each of your stories and encouragment. Y'all are the best and I hope each of you has a very blessed day and weekend!!!!!!
Me - 33
DH - 34
Married - 5/5/2012
TTC - 5/2013

TurtleMomma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby bazil323 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:05 pm

I just went through a breastfeeding class with a lactation consultant, and she said that the size of your breasts makes absolutely zero difference (because the cup size mainly comes from fluid & fat, not glands).

It's all about the amount of glandular tissue you have, and it's only in the highly industrialized world like the US that we have these problems of appearing to not produce enough milk, and that's not because we somehow have some sort of genetic condition that appears no where else in the world that limits our breasts but it does have to do with our culture looking at breasts in a sexual way rather than a functional way, so we don't get to see breastfeeding and thus have no clue when we have to do it ourselves. Plus, our mothers, sisters, friends, etc., also haven't seen it done and so can't give much advice even if they themselves breastfed (since they may have been able to breastfeed but had problems with pain or low supply that were related to poor latch/positioning rather than any problem with their breasts).

I highly, highly, highly recommend learning as much as possible about breastfeeding and watching as many YouTube videos as you can find on proper latching & positioning, and if you can go to a class with a certified lactation consultant, that would be a great thing too. There are lots of different philosophies on breastfeeding, but the main thing is to start as soon as possible after baby is born, do it often, don't try to schedule it, and try different positions and look for help on latching if you are having pain.
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby TurtleMomma » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:34 am

Thank you so much Bazil323.
All of that information is wonderful to read. I couldn't agree with you more about it being so taboo here in America so it doesn't surprise me that it has resulted in low supply and confusion.
I have been watching a ton of videos online with lactation consultants. I also plan on taking a class through my hospital. Unfortunately, my mother has large breasts but couldn't breastfeed (long story) and I really don't have any friends or family in my shoes so I thought I would reach out to women here for any guidance.
I look forward to learning all I can and being able to nourish, strengthen, and bond with my child one s/he makes his/her big enterence. ;)

I am open to any and all advice any of you ladies have. I know each mother and child is different so I'll have to figure out what works best for us but I also know I have A LOT to learn and am very open to it all.
Me - 33
DH - 34
Married - 5/5/2012
TTC - 5/2013

TurtleMomma
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Second Trimester