Low platelet count anyone help

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Low platelet count anyone help

Postby lelly » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:55 pm

Can anyone help.. Four times I've been and had blood took and my count keeps coming back low.. But the midwife doesn't seem to know much and I just want to know what's goin on.. Or Atleast what there goin to do about it..
Anyone else had this problem and if so what was the outcome? Thanks xx
lelly
Friend

Re: Low platelet count anyone help

Postby armywife1980 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:05 am

My best friend's daughter has this issue with her pregnancy. She's only 19 and is currently being induced to preeclampsia. She also isn't allowed an epidural and was told a c section wasn't an option. I would imagine if it became dire plasma infusion would help temporarily. A low platelet count puts one at higher risk for hemorrhage and I would personally probably see an OB instead of a midwife in this particular instance. I prefer midwives but they aren't advised for a higher risk situation. Is she saying it's just on the low end of normal or is the count actually below normal?
Brandie (33) DH (32) Twin Boys (15) DD#1 (11) DD#2 (1yr)
Alyssa Marie 7/20/12 @ 7lb 11oz & 21in long
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Postby bljohnson4 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Hey Lelly,

What did your platelet count come back at? I have had issues with platelets in the past so I am being monitored for that.

They have to be really low for it to cause any problems. You can take prednisone (an oral steroid) during pregnancy and that will help bring your levels to a higher level if they are really low. My doctor wont do anything except monitor levels unless they get below 30 (and even at that, they would just want to give you prednisone before delivery so your levels would be high enough to get a c-section or epidural if you wanted that). If they are 50 or higher, there isn't really a concern at all (according to my doc).

Platelets are the things that clot your blood so if they are low, it could cause a bleeding risk. Normal platelet counts are about 100-400. If your levels are below 40-50 you may notice you bruise easier than normal. If your levels are below 15-20 or so, you may get little red spots on your legs (or other places like arms, torso, eyes and mouth, but most commonly legs) called petechiae. If your levels are below 15, there is a chance of spontaneous bleeding occurring. I've had levels of 6-7....super scary but it was totally fine, I was just given a bunch of steroids and my levels went up to a more comfortable level.

This is just my experience, obviously, so please see a doctor if you have concerns about your levels :). Good luck!
Me: 25
DH: 31
Married: 7/2/2011

BFP 6/26/13
EDD 3/10/14
It's a boy!!

Tobias was born on 12/15/13 at 27 weeks 6 days gestation at just 2 pounds 12 ounces. He spent 51 days in the NICU before coming home. He is our little miracle!!
bljohnson4
Star Member
Star Member

Postby bazil323 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:58 pm

bljohnson has some good advice. It's very common to have slightly low platelets with pregnancy, part of the whole increased fluid thing, but there are some things you can do to help boost your body's ability to produce platelets, which you can find in the links below and include simple things like getting lots of rest & eating lots of fresh fruits & veggies.

http://www.wikihow.com/Raise-Blood-Plat ... -Naturally

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-increase-pl ... html?cat=5
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Postby lelly » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:22 am

Hi folks sorry it's took so long to reply.. I couldn't get into my account lol x Ehm I dnt know how low they are but there less than 100..ive had 5/6 sets of blood taken and they keep coming back low. I'm seeing a consultant on Tuesday coming so will find out what's happening in then x
lelly
Friend

Return to Second Trimester