Less movement at 23 weeks??

The affectionately named "honeymoon trimester". Your belly is getting bigger and you start to feel your first baby kicks. Are you having a boy or a girl?

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Less movement at 23 weeks??

Postby Hfesing » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:21 pm

I'm starting to get worried. A few days ago, I felt movments A LOT. Now, I'm lucky if I feel 5 a day. This has only been since Tuesday, but should I worry. I need to add that I do have an anterior placenta, so I know movement will be harder to feel, but it's just strange that I felt it so much before and now not as much. I just don't know if I should be worried about it or not.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Bentley Jennifer 3-30-2006 (6 weeks early) after TTC for 2 years!

Unexpectedly expecting #2 after TTC for 5 years and giving up. Fallon Debra is due to March 12th, 2014!!

ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
Hfesing
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Re: Less movement at 23 weeks??

Postby CH-UK » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:49 am

Hi

Maybe baby has moved position and is hiding a little. I know it's worrying though. My midwife told me not to be concerned until I reach 24 weeks if still not feeling regular movements then. I'm 20 weeks so a just behind you. Some says I feel baby loads and hardly not at all other days.

Do you have a Doppler?

I'm sure everything is fine but if you are worried check it out.
CH-UK
Star Member
Star Member

Postby miracle#5 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:36 am

Hi im in the same boat at the moment im 24 weeks on sunday and for the last couple of days he has slowed right down with movements to the
point i cant even remember if i have felt him move :/
miracle#5
Friend

Postby same_true_taurus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:56 am

I am 25 weeks today and also have anterior placenta. It took quite awhile to feel noticeable movement. The past few weeks it is slowly getting stronger. But it also comes and goes. A few days very active, then a few days quiet. It seems to be just baby changing position.
I like the idea someone suggested of the fetal doppler. Or if you have some time, lay down on your side and see if you can notice the more subtle movement. And remember your dr is only a phone call away...good luck!
Me (Joan): 34
DH: 34
DS1: age 11yrs (unplanned but wonderful surprise)
DS2: age 19 months (after ttc for 2 years)
Now expecting baby #3....surprise!
EDD is May 16th, 2016
same_true_taurus
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Hfesing » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks ladies! I don't have a Doppler, although I've thought about getting one. It would honestly be a waste f money (maybe) since I'm having ultrasounds every 2-3 weeks due to complications I've had. I felt her moving a bit last night and a very little but today. I think it's just that the other day she was soooo active and I loved it! I would just be sooo reassured if she would always move like that!

Unexpectedly expecting #2 after TTC for 5 years and giving up. Fallon Debra is due to March 12th, 2014!!

Hfesing
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby CH-UK » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:09 pm

It won't be long until she's moving non stop don't worry. It's funny how some days they are so active and other days not. I'm glad you've felt more movement though.
CH-UK
Star Member
Star Member

Postby MrsJenkins » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:16 am

I went through the same thing. Some days were quieter than others, but wait until you get to 28ish weeks before you get really concerned. That's when the gymnastics really start and when you're normally told to count a minimum of 6 movements in an hour before you should be concerned. Try a cold glass of orange juice or other sugary drink. That usually get baba moving. Or lay flat on your back for a short time in a quiet room. It's easier to feel movements that way in my experience.
Tomos Jenkins born Feb 8 2014
Huge fan of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
MrsJenkins
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby armywife1980 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:59 am

It's normal and as a previous poster stated really isn't cause for concern at this point. I had an anterior placenta with my last pregnancy as well and you may not be feeling every movement depending on baby's position. Also, the more active/busy you are the less likely you are to either notice small movements and your movement will lull baby to sleep. The best way I found to feel movement at this stage with an anterior placenta was to lie on my left side in a fetal position. Also, babies go through growth spurts in utero and will sleep more than normal during those times. The best drink I found for getting my girl riled up was grape juice. Caffeinated sugary drinks didn't even do the job but grape juice did it every single time. Also, some babies are bit lazy lol. I had more movement with my daughter than I did with my twin boys even before they ran out of room for much movement. I can understand your concern and if it's really bothering you there really is no harm in getting checked out. Doctors/midwives deal with this stuff all the time and they are not going to think you are being paranoid or ridiculous if you call or go in. I promise :)
Brandie (33) DH (32) Twin Boys (15) DD#1 (11) DD#2 (1yr)
Alyssa Marie 7/20/12 @ 7lb 11oz & 21in long
armywife1980
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Hfesing » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Thank you so much everyone!!! I haven't really found a drink that wakes her up, but....lately, after I eat, she starts to move. Not sure if it's coincidence or not. But...this weekend, I have definitely felt more movements!!! I think I'm just over paranoid! I'll get to see her on ultrasound on Friday again!!!

Hfesing
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby MrsJenkins » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:29 am

It's a strange one but I've found that my son goes nuts when I have balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing (?!). I'm having a Greek salad right now and he's going absolutely bonkers :-)
Tomos Jenkins born Feb 8 2014
Huge fan of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)
MrsJenkins
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Return to Second Trimester